Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I sure wish folks would listen!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 11:40 AM

So last night we are ready to sit down to dinner and we get a phone call from a friend.  She is frantic, her husband came home to all these messages on the computer stating it was infected and the speakers were blaring and call this number to fix the problem.  So what does he do?  He calls the number gives them a credit card number and then allows them to take control of his computer!  As this is going on his wife comes home and calls me to ask what she should do. At this point it is to late to do anything except pull the plug on the computer, call the credit card company and kill the transaction and I would keep a very close on my bank account and any other money accounts I have.  I also told her that the best action now would be to reset the computer with a reinstall of windows, I would not try to clean up the computer.

The sad thing about all this is that I have told them repeatedly about such things and they even had a brush with this anti-virus scam a few years ago but that time the wife was on and she just reached over and hit the button and called me the next day.  What gets to me is it always seems to be the same people who get this stuff over and over again!  I have held classes on how to protect your self and preached to these folks and others about all these scams.

If you are running Windows (any version) and you start getting pop ups for you to install a program or call to have your computer fixed its a SCAM!  If the message(s) are not from your installed anti-virus or anti-malware then you should treat it as a scam.  Turn off your computer boot into safe mode and run a scan with your anti-virus and anti-malware.  I would also clean the HDD up but getting rid of any temp files.  You can use a program like Ccleaner to do this.if you don't know how to use the file manager to go in and clean up the HDD.  Also NEVER, NEVER let anyone take control of your computer unless you know and trust them.  OK I'll get off my soapbox now.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Gtractor and 13 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 11:44 AM

I've had a few of those over the years.  One was a real good one.  Couldn't back out of it at all.   Finally killed the power strip shutting down everything, did a restart and all was good.  :(

• KennyP, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 12:10 PM

Sorry those folks are being so gullible! Any time I see one of those messages, I always run one of the programs to check things out.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 12:14 PM

I would love to know what their success rate is.

• Gtractor, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 12:16 PM

2 of our sons are IT's and both have said the same thing...Never,ever click on anything remotely associated with those pop-ups. Hit the power strip, as in our case, the wall switch and do a hot shut down. Go into safe mode, clear out all temp files and do a system reset, at least a day or so previous. In some cases this may require the use of your original OS installation disc to perform the reset.

Just my 2 cents.

• HDWildBill, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 12:58 PM

Bill. you can lead a horse to water, but----------------------------------!!

Mike

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#7 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 01:45 PM

I had the same thing happen to me at work except it was a screen that popped up and said the computer was locked and I had 36 hours to get a $300 money gram order and go to the website provided and my computer would be unlocked.  If I didn't the Department of Justice would come get my computer.  Unplugged it and called one of my friends to come look at it.  He got it fixed and said the same thing happend to one of the computers at work except it was supposedly from the FBI.  I had to laugh at that one because he's a police dispatcher

• Gtractor, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 02:55 PM

I would love to know what their success rate is.

I think it might surprise us and be fairly high.  Otherwise why do it?

I had the same thing happen to me at work except it was a screen that popped up and said the computer was locked and I had 36 hours to get a $300 money gram order and go to the website provided and my computer would be unlocked.  If I didn't the Department of Justice would come get my computer.  Unplugged it and called one of my friends to come look at it.  He got it fixed and said the same thing happend to one of the computers at work except it was supposedly from the FBI.  I had to laugh at that one because he's a police dispatcher

I've heard of this kind of attack but not had to deal with one (yet!)  I've heard some of them actually encrypt your data and with out the key you are up the creek. 

• boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#9 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 03:36 PM

My favorite is to get the "Your Windows computer is infected" pop-up while using my Macs.  LOLZ

Bill - been there, done that several times.  Can't fix stupid...

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 04:42 PM

The old adage "there's a sucker born every minute" is still true. Some people are just so optimistic that they refuse to believe that someone wants to cheat them.  When the herd needs to be thinned, some people just seem to volunteer by not listening to good advise.

A friend who is a computor wiz is that way about his GT. The local shop has over charged him repeatedly. He finally believed me when they told him he needed a new engine at $1200. He brought it to me for a rebuild. Now, I am trying to convice him to go for a better GT with power lift. He has something like MS and is losing strength.

Do what you can for friends but don't let them drag you down when they are heck bent on selfdestruction. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#11 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 05:17 PM

I think it might surprise us and be fairly high.  Otherwise why do it?

I've heard of this kind of attack but not had to deal with one (yet!)  I've heard some of them actually encrypt your data and with out the key you are up the creek. 

Yeah there's been a few police departments in MA that have had that happen and the price they wanted for the key I think was in the thousands of dollars

• HDWildBill and Phluphy have said thanks

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 05:20 PM

"There is nothing wrong with your credit, but you must call this number right away."

Damn right there isn't anything wrong with my credit and it's going to stay that way!

• HDWildBill and Phluphy have said thanks

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 06:14 PM

My favorite is to get the "Your Windows computer is infected" pop-up while using my Macs.  LOLZ

Bill - been there, done that several times.  Can't fix stupid...

I don't get that on Linux, but I also use AdBlock Plus and Ghostery and PCLOS put out a host file that blocks a lot of crap as well.

• KennyP, Trav1s and Phluphy have said thanks

#14 karl ONLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,065 Thanks
  • 788 posts

Posted December 09, 2015 - 04:58 AM

I had them call me on the phone,A listed land line. I knew what they were,so I proceeded to give them a realy hard time.It was FUN! all the while I could here many voices in the back ground,like it was telemarketers! they must be realy organized. So..all I can figure is ,the climet must be ripe for Suckers!

• HDWildBill said thank you