LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 08:51 AM

I'm trying to get up a Christmas Spirit, so tell me a story. Do any of you remember a Christmas that was especially memorable? Maybe it was a special gift or something else.

• Gtractor and hamman have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,632 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 09:28 AM

I try to get in the full swing of the Christmas spirit early on Dec 24th and can easily be done with it by 3pm on the 25th.   Even go so far as to actually listen to Christmas music!  Then I'm good for another year.

Got this for Christams in 1975 when I was 5 years old.  For the last 40 years this tractor has been with me and is my longest term posession.  Not a rare toy by any means but its special to me.  It had a cab at one time but I used to sit on it and ride it in the winter when I couldn't go outside and ride my pedal tractor.  My weight was too much and the cab broke.  Funny the plastic wheels held although the kingpins are shot.

Deere.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, December 08, 2015 - 09:57 AM.

• grnspot110, KennyP, backwoods and 2 others have said thanks

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 09:45 AM

its been hard here as well with unseasonably warm temps (well above) no snow yet for some reason im having a hard time myself even though the house is lit up the tree is up a trimmed, it just doesnt feel like christmas should be here already. Sine last year at this time we had just got are tree are daught was just over a week old an i miss the feeling of being excited to get the tree an get ready for christmas morning with my new born daughter. shes just over a year now has no interest in messing with the tree just plays with her toys.

• Gtractor and Oldford have said thanks

#4 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 10:04 AM

I have a story from my 92 year old mom's childhood.

They lived in northeastern Alabama, bear in mind in the late 20's winter was bit colder than today. The year she was 7 her dad, (my grandpa), was away in south Alabama shoeing horses, he was a blacksmith/gunsmith/carpenter/machinist, whiskey maker. Work and money were hard to come by in the depression. Her older brother was away working as well, leaving 5 women and girls to fend for themselves on Christmas. They barely had food and clothes, not much in the way of shoes or coats. On Christmas Eve they were making syrup candy, whatever that is, it was going to be the only thing special they had that year. They had a snowfall of several inches in the hills where they lived, several days earlier and was still on the ground. They lived in a cove with one road in and out. They had enough regular snowfall back then that people who could afford it had sleighs for winter.

Sometime after dark they heard sleigh bells driving away from the house, Granny opened the door to see who it was and all she could see was a lantern way down the lane, but on the porch were several boxes of clothes, coats, shoes, oranges for each of them and a rag doll for the 2 youngest girls, mom was the youngest. Christmas found them when they needed it most. Mom is the only one left from that night 85 years ago, but every one of them has gone to the grave swearing the only sign that anyone had been there were about 20' of sleigh tracks in the snow in front of the porch. No footprints, no tracks to the road, nothing. That's the year Santa came.

• DougT, Gtractor, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 10:05 AM

1976, I was seven.....spent my whole Christmas break with the chicken pox :wallbanging:

I know, not the best memory, but it stands out.

I am usually a scrooge, the whole materialism of Christmas can be depressing. Doing lights, tree, decorations is just work to me, I used to never like doing it even when I was little.

I have tried to be better the last couple years, even listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. We went to see the Tras Siberian orchestra last weekend, that really helps, I keep hearing their songs in my head.

• Gtractor, backwoods and Oldford have said thanks

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 12:49 PM

Being a hermit I used to hate the whole holiday season from halloween to easter, just depressing.  This one isn't too bad.   For one we had a long fall and i got caught up on my winter machines before snow flies.

Finally this year i learned to buy equipment out of season, better deals more choices.  This spring we picked up an old Regency stove, then i got an old Case, had the whole summer to chase parts and get them ready for winter.  Plus fix up the old hydro Deere i bought last winter at "emergency storm" prices when my old Ford armstrong lift couldn't keep up... recovered some by selling the ford at "in season" prices this summer with the deck installed....

Now with christmas, the local hardware store has a tree lot, first time we don't live in the woods and first time we got a tree.  20 bucks, the woman got out her decorations some go back to when she was a kid.

So now the woman's happy, tractors ready to go, we have 4 cord and a good stove.

When i start feeling crappy with the news on the radio or pushy people in town i just turn the dial over to a station that plays chrismas music for 2 months.  Lately i've been getting into old music Sinatra, Elvis etc i just kick back and think of the old days when life was closer to the ground, happy holidays

• LilysDad and HANKG have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 12:55 PM

I have a story from my 92 year old mom's childhood. . . . .        That's the year Santa came.

It's nice to hear that some of those old time stories are real.

• toppop52 said thank you

#8 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 01:14 PM

So my wife had me helping her decorating for 4 days and this is suppose to get me excited. My idea of decorating is one of those pine scented trees like you hang from the mirror in the car/truck and put it in the corner and DONE. :D  

• KC9KAS, TAHOE and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#9 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 01:16 PM

I think this Christmas will be special for me because my aspiring weldor 15 yr old granddaughter partnered w/ me to build me a belt knife from an old boat tlr spring. She was reluctant for me to know what it would be. I told her it didn't matter as long as I know she put most of the work into it, which she did. I cut it out for her and she wielded the torch while I straightened it w/ heat and my hammer, then cut it out and w/ her again wielding the torch I shaped the taper, then she spent hours starting w/ a grinder disc then a flap disc, the belt sander, the orbital w/ 120 and 220 grit and finally my big polisher w/ rubbing compound. The handle halves were a challenge for me trying to drill 1/8" holes for the rivets thru the steel, but finally got them done. The rivets are made from 1/8" brazing rod and the handle is made of maple a friend got from a pallet skid. I ran it thru my Worksharp and it will cut paper like a straight razor. Guess who gets this when I pass on??

Mike

knife 001 (Small).JPG

knife 002 (Small).JPG

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, December 08, 2015 - 01:18 PM.

• LilysDad, toppop52 and cootertom have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 02:17 PM

I strongly dislike the season. It's all money and greed these days. But my kids help me get in the spirit I guess. I want them to have fond Christmas memories unlike my own.
  • TAHOE and HANKG have said thanks

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 05:15 PM

I fight depression all the time...It is a family trait, and 3 months ago my 31 year old son said he didn't want to talk to me because he was depressed...There goes another generation....

This year was my 60th birthday and that was depressing. I didn't want anyone to remind me or bring it up, so it came and passed without any problems, now it's Christmas and it all starts over again...

#12 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 05:32 PM

This must be the year, Not really have felt depressed at this time before, but it sure is harder this year. No decorations are up, no tree (yet), It has been close to 80* all week, so it feels more like late summer or fall. Havn't been shopping, and really don't want to... sure as I spend the money something else is bound to break. I'll put it off as long as I can, but I will need to do something for my Grandson.