34 replies to this topic

#31 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 02:34 PM

Chieffan probably won't admitt it but his tractor-itis is growing and he has become a collector.  :rolling:

:poke:   

I think the more proper word would be "Gatherer" :thumbs:  :smilewink:

• Gtractor said thank you

#32 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 02:47 PM

After a couple hundred gallons &  2 shop vacs I finally got the basement carper dry again.  Got the carb kit and points Tuesday so went after the carb rebuild today.  Main fuel seat was in so tight I could not budge it.  Put the carb part in a drill press vise and lined up the center of the seat with a bit in the drill press.  Lowered the table till I could get a large bladed screw driver between the chuck and the carb.  Raised the table so the handle of the screw driver was tight against the chuck.  locked it in place and put a wrench on the screwdriver, holding the vise so it would not turn.  Applied pressure on the wrench and it finally let out a pop and broke loose.

Started to put it back together and saw the flange on the carb where it bolts to the manifold was not flat.  That is why they had a 1/8" gasket in there.  Clamped it in a wood vise and started to fill the ends down till it was flat.  That pot metal seems to bend one way, one time only so didn't even try to straighten it.  Filing it down was the only choice.

DSCF3364.JPG   Black felt marker around the opening showed when I had it flat.  Ready to go back on but that will be a warmer day.  25° in the shop so no pic of the drill press operation.  Did the rest of the work in the basement shop where I do the sharpening work.  Nice and warm and close to the coffee pot.

Edited by chieffan, December 18, 2015 - 09:23 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#33 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Got back on the 850 for a hour or so this afternoon.  Got the deck brackets off and out of the way.  Belts off the motor pulley.  the went after the clutch brackets.  The one on the pedal was kind of ornery as they put a flat head bolt in with a screwdriver slot to replace a standard bolt.  Impact with a straight bit got it out though.  Rest wasn't to bad to be apart.  No wonder the clutch had a ton of play in it.  Got some work to do on these two pieces before they can go back in.

Clutch Brackets.JPG

Edited by chieffan, December 21, 2015 - 05:35 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#34 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 05:02 PM

The 850 is up and running once again.  3rd time it tried to run it kept going and run about 1/2 speed.  Not bad for a salvage tractor.  Still on the work table as it is muddy out side.  Will move it down to the machine shed in the morning when it is good and stuff.  Will bring another one up to work on then also.

850-1.JPG     850-2.JPG     850-5.JPG

Will list it for sale with a good front blade.  Can put a deck with it also for more $$$

• Bolens 1000, Bolens800uk and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#35 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 604 Thanks
  • 381 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:35 AM

You turned it around pretty quick for a tractor found upside down in a pile of scrap, is that the same seat it came with with the cover removed?

An 850 with a plow is my current setup for snow removal and let me tell you that little 8hp Wisconsin matched to that gearbox and with weights and chainsis an animal at pushing! We had 15" of wet snow drop on us in one dumping last week and there was no stopping it no matter what piled in front of that blade. I was quite impressed, I did not think they would be heavy enough of a tractor to get that sort of traction.

Edited by chubien, January 09, 2016 - 09:36 AM.

• Bolens800uk said thank you