• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,400 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Always sad to hear. I guess it's the reality of today in many cases. My little town was once the Pekin duck capitol of the entire world. Raised, killed and processed all right here in this little town. My mom picked ducks in the plant for years, and I worked on a couple farms growing up. Last year, the last farm was "forced" to close, because the owners couldn't afford to implement the DEC's demands. Shame.

Always reminds me of Alan Jackson's song about the "little man".

I remember when tat song came out, now it's really happening more and more.  A lot of the towns here in Central NY have dried up or are in the process of doing so, even in the college towns such as Morisville (Morisville State College) and Hamilton (Colgate University) as the schools are no longer enough to keep the small businesses afloat.

• Gtractor and tiretrx have said thanks

#17 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 08:52 AM

It's always a shame to lose the small family owned businesses. Luckily my local small engine shop is here to stay, they just moved to a new bigger building and they're always busy when I go in there.
  • Alc said thank you

#18 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 933 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 08:56 AM

I remember when tat song came out, now it's really happening more and more.  A lot of the towns here in Central NY have dried up or are in the process of doing so, even in the college towns such as Morisville (Morisville State College) and Hamilton (Colgate University) as the schools are no longer enough to keep the small businesses afloat.

I get up Hamilton's way a fair bit from going to the Madison-Bouckville shows etc. Such a beautiful place. The Misses likes the Colgate Inn a lot. You pass a good number of towns that look like they were very vibrant at one time. Sad.

#19 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 09:52 AM

from my house anything is a drive but in the town i work in theres 2 repair shops one is open normal hours the other its his second job an its a small outfit. the other direction a good distant is a big farm supply store run by the amish or meninites not sure but they have just about everything in there.

#20 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 09:57 AM

Small engine repair shop by me does not want to really repair anything , he just tells you its to old and tries to talk you into buying new. 

#21 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 10:13 AM

The closest one to me only repairs brands that they sell. The one that closed was a toro/ husquvarna dealer, but would work on anything. That's where I ordered my parts from. I got the parts at retail, usually at the same price as on line or cheaper and no shipping, usually within 2 days if the didn't have them in stock

#22 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,400 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 01:10 PM

I get up Hamilton's way a fair bit from going to the Madison-Bouckville shows etc. Such a beautiful place. The Misses likes the Colgate Inn a lot. You pass a good number of towns that look like they were very vibrant at one time. Sad.

I go to the antique show myself, a lot of these towns were manufacturing towns at the turn of the 20th century, Eaton, was the home of Wood Taber and Morse of steam engine fame, Bouckville had Motts apple products, now both are slowly rotting into history, most of the young people don't even know such history exists, and many don't care.  Ever been through Sharon Springs, it was once a resort town like the Catskils, The last hotel built an some other buildings still stand but are long abandoned. 

• tiretrx and backwoods have said thanks

#23 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 933 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 02:26 PM

I go to the antique show myself, a lot of these towns were manufacturing towns at the turn of the 20th century, Eaton, was the home of Wood Taber and Morse of steam engine fame, Bouckville had Motts apple products, now both are slowly rotting into history, most of the young people don't even know such history exists, and many don't care.  Ever been through Sharon Springs, it was once a resort town like the Catskils, The last hotel built an some other buildings still stand but are long abandoned. 

I must've passed through, as it's on 20 correct? Have to look closer next time.

#24 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,400 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 05:28 PM

I must've passed through, as it's on 20 correct? Have to look closer next time.

Yes it's on US20, the hotel and the sulfur baths are on NY10(turn right at the light in town), do a google search for "the Hotel Alder" or Sharon Springs NY.

• backwoods said thank you

#25 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 05:33 PM

That's a couple hours north of me a coworker wants to check it out so does a friend of my wife's we might have a convoy of trucks headed north to check out some abandoned towns too

#26 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 09:10 PM

I may have to go to this auction,bout a 40 min drive from my house,I work with norman ropp (Ropp auctions) and also do a lot of sales,I look forward to sales like this one,interesting stuff and i can always use some more tools!!!

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#27 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,400 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 10:36 PM

That's a couple hours north of me a coworker wants to check it out so does a friend of my wife's we might have a convoy of trucks headed north to check out some abandoned towns too

The town is experiencing some what of a rebirth, but the old relics are still there, what route would you be taking north?  I'm on NY26 aprox. 50miles north of Whitney Point/I81.

#28 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 10:55 PM

The town is experiencing some what of a rebirth, but the old relics are still there, what route would you be taking north? I'm on NY26 aprox. 50miles north of Whitney Point/I81.

More then likely the fastest route from Corning or Watkins Glenn since either one is a 10 mile drive either way. After the first of the year the wife an I along with a friend of hers an her husband are going to Centralia PA to check it out

Edited by backwoods, December 12, 2015 - 10:57 PM.

#29 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 11:22 PM

Yep, the repair business for L&G equipment is dying a slow painful death, all thats really left anymore is parts sales and the select few people who buy machines worth fixing. Besides that not many people are going to pay $ 300 to fix a mower they got at lowes for $100 as mentioned above :(

My hats go off to the repair shops that still do repairs on that new stuff!

Most the repairs I get is landscape companies. I can keep my rates cheaper than most shop around here because I work from home don't have that high overhead.

Some shops here charge $80/hr and take a month to get back I can charge $40/hr plus parts and have it finish within a week depending on parts.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks