Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:34 PM

This guy has been around forever.  His shop is in a VERY  valuable spot on the main drag in town.  Getting up there in years and been wanting to retire for quite some time.  Dollar General made him the right offer.   My uncle is the auctioneer and has quite a following.  He'll get better-than-new price for everything!  I'd like to have the snowplow from the I-H Scout for mine, but that Scout is ROUGH.  Its an old postal service right hand drive Scout. 

The last independant local small-guy farm tractor repair shop just shut down this year because his of his health.  He's trying to sell out private treaty. 

We do have a body shop in town that'll fix anything.  Works on anything from semi's to lawn mowers.  He may expand.

I suppose someone will see the void and start up a repair shop.   With astronomical real estate prices in this town they'll never make it.   Most all the commercial buildings in town are owned by one "entrepeneur" and good luck finding any business building thats affordable. 

This whole scenario promotes more of the "throw away and buy new" system thats crammed down our throats. 

:hitting_self_roller:

http://www.mikemille...RTONauction.htm

• Bolens 1000, MH81, grnspot110 and 12 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:44 PM

It truly is heartbreaking seeing these establishments go, seems like more and more close up each year due to the owners getting up in years and no one willing to take the reigns of the business. The "Buy everything as cheap as possible" at lowes/walmart crowd today surely dosent help with parts or equipment sales for the mom and pop shops ..... :( 

• Gtractor and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:46 PM

This whole scenario promotes more of the "throw away and buy new" system thats crammed down our throats. 

A good reason for GTT and the vendors here we can learn to fix it ourselves and get help with parts

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor and backwoods have said thanks

#4 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 01:10 PM

Always sad to hear. I guess it's the reality of today in many cases. My little town was once the Pekin duck capitol of the entire world. Raised, killed and processed all right here in this little town. My mom picked ducks in the plant for years, and I worked on a couple farms growing up. Last year, the last farm was "forced" to close, because the owners couldn't afford to implement the DEC's demands. Shame.

Always reminds me of Alan Jackson's song about the "little man".

• Gtractor, grnspot110, truck21 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 01:21 PM

Back 30 years ago, there were a dozen or more shops within 10 miles of me that had anything IN STOCK you could ever need.  Now there are none left inside 10 miles and I have to go 20+ miles or order online.  The last one closed due to health and his building was about to fall in....literally.  He closed, then had the building demolished.

• Gtractor, Alc and tiretrx have said thanks

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 05:28 PM

We have one mower shop left, but he's quietly downsizing, wanting to retire!  When that happens, I won't have any place to "loaf"!   :(  :wallbanging:  :deadhorse:

• Gtractor and tiretrx have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 05:48 PM

I won't have any place to "loaf"!   :(  :wallbanging:  :deadhorse:

You could go hang ut at the KFC and get a bucket of chicken....  with extra grease. 

• KennyP said thank you

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Open up a repair show out where your at Kris.  Low overhead, and plenty of business once you got started.  We have one small engine repair shop in our town.  Problem is he don't know when  he wants to be open.  About the only time to catch him is Sat mornings.  Rest of the time is hiding or works for a fence builder.  Have had two items I left with him over 2 months ago.  Have no idea if he has them done yet or not.  His dad use to run the shop but had to find work out of town to keep food on the table.  He was hard to catch open too.  When he goes it really won't be a big loss.  Other than you have to drive 30 miles to find another repair service.

Edited by chieffan, December 07, 2015 - 06:52 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#9 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:05 PM

You could go hang ut at the KFC and get a bucket of chicken....  with extra grease. 

All the old timers around here hang out at the local Hardees. Personally, I like their food, prices are getting a little high..$12 for a medium combo. The up side is you dont have to tip on that like you do at Denny's

The last mower shop that wasnt a sideline for a tractor dealer or farm store closed this spring. I was tempted to do mower repair as a side line job until I seriously thought about all of the hassle and liability that went along with it.

The mower shop that closed was about 2 blocks from the Hardees,... and we are right back where we started

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Chieffan quote:

Open up a repair shop out where your at Kris. Low overhead, and plenty of business once you got started.

30 years too late.  If I would be working on quality made Gtractors with K series Kohlers I'd seriously consider it.  No way would I work on this disposable made cheap-as-possible stuff day in day out.  I'd stroke out.

Edited by Gtractor, December 07, 2015 - 07:10 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks

#11 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:09 PM

30 years too late.  If I would be working on quality made Gtractors with K series Kohlers I'd seriously consider it.  No way would I work on this disposable made cheap-as-possible stuff day in day out.  I'd stroke out.

There is good money in it... if you can find somebody willing to pay $300 to get a $100 box store mower running

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:13 PM

'ZACTLY!!!  :(

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:28 PM

Yep, the repair business for L&G equipment is dying a slow painful death, all thats really left anymore is parts sales and the select few people who buy machines worth fixing. Besides that not many people are going to pay $ 300 to fix a mower they got at lowes for $100 as mentioned above :(

My hats go off to the repair shops that still do repairs on that new stuff!

Edited by Bolens 1000, December 07, 2015 - 07:37 PM.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#14 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:29 PM

I don't think so!!!!!!!   :D

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:35 PM

You don't have to eat the roaches