• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,550 Thanks
  • 30,943 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:14 PM

I picked up 3 LED shop lights from Sam's Club to see how much light they put out.  I put in standard Incandescent 300 watt bulbs in my new shop & love the light output, but they pull a lot of power!    These 46" long twin LED light strip assemblies have a rated output of 4200 lumens compared to a max of 3600 lumens from the 300 watt incandescent bulbs, but only use 40 watts of power!  More light, and only 13.3% the power usage.  Average life is 50,000 hours, so that equates to 15 years at 8hrs per day, 7 days a week.  I'm not in the shop all that long every day, and never turn on all the lights at one time and still have a $24 light bill, with likely $20 of it being just the lights.  At that rate, the savings will pay for 13 of these fixtures in just 3 years.  Even quicker if I spent more time with more of the lights on.  Guaranteed 5 years, so they are a definite savings even if they all died at the 5 year mark, which I seriously doubt will happen.

I put these 3 up on one light circuit to give them a try, and I like the results, so I will be getting 10 more when I can get to Sam's again.

They are "instant on full bright", so no waiting for full output like UFL bulbs.

P_20151207_1112231.jpg

When I started building my shop, these LED lights weren't available for this low a price, so I put in std bases so I could screw in outlet plugs when I wanted to change lighting, and now is the time.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,317 Thanks
  • 44,888 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:24 PM

That's good to hear! Got any of the packaging left over for a brand name?

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:24 PM

My experience with LED lighting so far has been straight on they are great but not so good for lighting things off to the side.  How well do these work when working off to the side of them?

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 2,080 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:26 PM

Those look nice and bright

Love those LED lights.  I bit the bullet on initial cost and put LED's in the house, garage and workshop.  I never did like the CFL's or the  older fluorescent shop lights.  I see now that there is a LED replacement bulb that fits right into the normal fluorescent fixture.  I may try that in one of the few that I have left.    Rick

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,550 Thanks
  • 30,943 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:48 PM

That's good to hear! Got any of the packaging left over for a brand name?

"Lights of America" model 8140SE2-WH5, and I stated 4200 watts but they are 4500.
  • KennyP, Cat385B, chris m and 2 others have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,550 Thanks
  • 30,943 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:53 PM

My experience with LED lighting so far has been straight on they are great but not so good for lighting things off to the side. How well do these work when working off to the side of them?

I have 11 foot ceilings so at head levels the lights overlap very well with no dim areas. My lights are spaced 12 feet apart. 8 foot ceilings would be an issue unless spaced much closer.
  • Alc, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,550 Thanks
  • 30,943 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 01:10 PM

I replaced the rest of the 300 watt bulbs with 26 watt piggly wiggly CFL, 2 on Y fittings at each spot except the 2 places nearest the doors and the 3 singles on the end wall.  Not quite as bright as with the all 300 watt bulbs, but will be when all but the 3 end wall singles are replaced with LED units, and still plenty of light as-is.  

Right now I can have every single light on and only pulling 500 watts instead of the former 3,375 watts!   I had plenty of the Y sockets in the parlor so I stole them & just left a single CFL as I only need minimal lighting in there now.

P_20151207_1257091.jpg

• daytime dave and chris m have said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,550 Thanks
  • 30,943 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 01:17 PM

I don't like the slow brightening of CFL bulbs, but for the savings I'll put up with it till I can get more LED units.

• KennyP and chris m have said thanks

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,719 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 03:03 PM

Your shop looks nice and bright.

Not nearly as much, but I put an led shop light in at camp in the basement.  It was such a good addition, when I found Led replacement bulbs for florescent tubes, I bought a set of them.  I replaced them in the shop light already in the basement.  They sure are great.  

Good luck with your total replacement.  I think you are correct.  It will pay for itself in a few short years.

#10 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,069 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 03:35 PM

Look at all that wall space,I haven't seen my walls in years.That overhead door looks like it might rub the flies off the ceiling when you open it.I just hung my last 8 foot light so that will leave me out for LED's but I wished I would have tried them.I have 8 8 's and was never brave enough to figure out how much electric they use.They usually burn 12 hours a day 6 days a week.Nice shop.

#11 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,180 Thanks
  • 1,347 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 03:54 PM

My experience with LED lighting so far has been straight on they are great but not so good for lighting things off to the side.  How well do these work when working off to the side of them?

Possibly wrong type of LED lighting for applician.  Some LED are for high ceilings only and if hung at 8' you would have to wear shades and sombrero..  I upgraded to T5's..that gave 300% increase in light. I purchased mine at electrical supply. Seller told me if my lights are on 16 hours a day definitely go with LED.  My usage is only a few hours a day plus weekends. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,550 Thanks
  • 30,943 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 05:26 PM

On the wall in the rear of the pic, you can see the angles of the light path.  Where they intersect is  6+ feet off the ground.  So there is good light spread.

P_20151207_1325031.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,491 Thanks
  • 7,845 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 05:57 PM

I'm seeing 4ft LED lights advertized, but with single strip. They have ends to connect to each other for one long light strip if wanted. They aren't cheap tho, not many LED's are.  Seems odd they antique all the bulbs used for years and were cheap and now pushing all those LED things that might cost $20 a bulb or close.  Many chinese made too.  They took something easy and made it harder and NOW can make big $$ again, We pay!  Heck, I still have standard flourescent in my garage and when areas not used much have a regular spot  or flood light hooked into adapter in outlet on ceiling. 10ft ceiling and they give pretty good light. Getting hard to find those heavy outdoor spot-lights anymore even. I hate changes, but what can you do, Modern Up!

• Gtractor said thank you

#14 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,889 Thanks
  • 4,544 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 06:49 PM

We got LED's in our entire shop, parts room, wash bay, bathrooms, all the offices, best part they were free! Government program that expired last year, contractors came in and installed everything and a straight dollar for dollar tax credit paid the bill. The bulbs were installed in the old fixtures after removing the ballast. They are voltage sensing and will be just as bright on 24 volts as 240. Way brighter than HD fluorescents or whatever those skinny newer ones were called.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#15 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 313 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 08:11 PM

I was looking at those same bulbs at my local SAMs last weekend. They had a display set up in the aisle where they sell all the bulbs. It is amazing how much light they throw off when you are standing there looking at it. Nice looking shop there by the way.

jhn9840
John
  • olcowhand said thank you