29 replies to this topic

#16 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Heated shop, will water mist, not put fires out. Not using a stream of water. Noel

Thanks for the input.

I'd grab a big box of baking soda at the Dollar store to add to your arsenal.

• propane1 said thank you

#17 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 09:03 PM

My setup, two incase one isn't enough. Plus Water hoses are left on around the house unless it freezes.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140713.JPG
  • P1140714.JPG

#18 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 05:41 PM

I work in the fire protection field.  The company I work for has a division that sells and refurbishes fire extinguishers (FEs).  I work on the fire sprinkler side of the business.

I would recommend any 5 lb. or larger ABC extinguisher as a minimum.  You just don't get enough out of a 2.5 lb. FE for a fire of any size at all.  I keep a few 10 lb. and a few 5 lb. FEs handy.  That's probably overkill, but I can get the outdated FEs (that are to be scrapped, but nothing wrong with them) for free, so why not. 

Check your FEs yearly.  As long as the gauge reads good, and you can feel the powder move around a little when you shake it horizontally, you should be good to go, even if they are outdated.  If they are used in a commercial/business atmosphere, you must get them inspected or serviced and tagged annually. 

I also keep some water FEs around.  They are handy to keep around a campfire, or when welding to cool something off.  The water FEs have a Schrader valve to pressurize them, so you can fill/pressurize them yourself.  Make sure you don't let them freeze in the winter months.  There is an antifreeze available to put in them to prevent freezing.  If you put your own antifreeze in them, make sure the antifreeze isn't flammable.  Some types of antifreeze is flammable believe it or not!

I have a CO2 FE also.  Those are a little pricey, take a little longer to put a fire out, aren't ABC rated, but leave NO mess when you use them.  I keep one in the house and have used it on the stove once.  =)  It took a few shots to put the fire out, but I had no powder to clean up.  It was not a grease fire either.

If you've ever used a dry chemical FE, you know what a mess that powder is.  Also, the powder won't kill you, but it will irritate the hell out of your eyes and lungs.  I've told my girlfriend to use an extinguisher on an intruder if she ever had to defend herself.  You can use it at a safe distance and the person can't do much damage when they can't see or breath!

Hope this helps with any questions.

Billy

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#19 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Billy, could you post a picture of a water FE. Thanks, Noel.

#20 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:25 PM

Mine are 7 and 2.5 lb, Thanks for the intruder tip! I have an additional 2.5 ones in my Wife's office, and kitchen, I'll tell her about that. Plan on buying a couple more 7 lb ones just to have fresh ones on hand.

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 11:39 PM

yup I have a couple in the detached garage I think they are 2 10s and a 5, also have 2 water ones.... haven't had to use em yet, but partly  got them for brownie points with the building inspector when I had them out to sign off of my building permit when I put my garage up.

even made sure to get them all then-current tags, even.

Didn't work, he refused to sign off til I put faceplates on the receptacles even though I had yet to  drywall and insulate at that time....meaning they had to come right back off after he saw them in place.  I thought it was silly to have to call them back out just to see them on the outlet boxes... seemed pretty trivial of a thing to refuse to sign off for. but that was 9 yrs ago// nothing goin on to have to see them again for the forseeable future....

#22 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 09:52 AM

Didn't work, he refused to sign off til I put faceplates on the receptacles even though I had yet to  drywall and insulate at that time....

DT,  I take it you were going for a final inspection?  I have to have all escutcheons on my sprinkler heads to get an inspection off as well.  Inspectors want to walk away from a finished product when they sign off on a permit.  It's to cover their butts. I deal with inspectors every day and I can say, some are better than others.  Some will work with you.  Some won't budge, even when commons sense should prevail.

Here's a generic pic of a water FE for propane1...

41wqewMiGeL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by Billy M, December 14, 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#23 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 06:15 PM

yeah it was a "final"  After I told him that the inside studs would get covered with insulation and drywall he said "doesn't matter I cant sign off w/o covers on them"  I pointed out the box of them 3 feet away from where I was arguing the point, being I'd have to just pull them back off anyway to be able to sheat the walls.... I came VERY CLOSE to offering him a screwdriver and asking him to put them on for me, just so I could take them right back off again... it took a lot to resist saying that to the guy... I put them on and he had to come out *again* less than 24 hours later when I had them on  I was PO'd!!! 

He did say that I did not have to involve him to insulate and sheat the walls.... I also put my unit heater in,  including the gas line and the chimney thru the roof without a call to them to let them know that I was doing that in there.....

now back to the regularly scheduled thread, we've taken this thing far enough off the beaten path now as it is.

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 08:05 PM

I don't know if bigger fire departments offer it but a fire extinguisher training.

You can have all the extinguishers in the world but if you don't know how to properly use them you may not put the fire out.

At work every year they drag out a propane pit with a water tray and give you 2 extinguishers to spray. It's a good experience.

#25 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 09:21 PM

I just went through some training with a Fire-Marshal and asked him some questions.

A fire extinguisher needs inspected annually, but for ours, it needs "fluffed" twice a year. (shaken to loosen the contents).

They should be replaced every 2 years.

Use the old extinguishers for training of the family members.

I plan to pick up three new ones, and let the family try their hand at putting out a fire with the old ones.

#26 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 04:03 PM

I just went through some training with a Fire-Marshal and asked him some questions.

A fire extinguisher needs inspected annually, but for ours, it needs "fluffed" twice a year. (shaken to loosen the contents).

They should be replaced every 2 years.

Use the old extinguishers for training of the family members.

I plan to pick up three new ones, and let the family try their hand at putting out a fire with the old ones.

Per code, they need "fluffed" once a year.  I would do that at a minimum to be safe.  Anything over that is up to you.

I don't know why he would recommend replacing every 2 years.  That's crazy talk.  We wouldn't have a service division at work if that was the case.  I discharged an old FE I found at dad's a few years ago.  The FE was last serviced in 1974.  The gauge read fine and the powder was loose.  It worked just fine.  If your FE has an aluminum valve on it, it's meant to be serviceable/rebuilt.  I don't keep any FEs without gauges.  I have to have a gauge for some peace of mind knowing the cylinder is pressurized.  There are some people that service the FEs with plastic valves, but we don't do it where I work.  We won't sell a FE with a plastic valve on it, so we won't service them either.

P.S...If your FE is older than 1985 you should replace it.  We can't service FEs older than 1985 due to them being condemned.  There was something like a safety issue from the manufacturing process, but I can't remember what it was.  We've never personally seen anything happen with them, but I would recommend replacing them just to be safe.

And yes...please learn how to use them.  The P.A.S.S. method is pretty simple.  Pull pin, Aim FE, Squeeze trigger, Sweep back & forth.  I was talking to someone about FEs, and they thought you pulled the pin and threw the FE in the fire like a grenade!  That scared the bejeezus out of me knowing someone actually thought that!!

#27 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 10:13 PM

I may not have heard him correctly, he was focused on City Codes, and I am out in the rural County. I have 3 with gauges that all show full, and I fluffed them. I have one more in the kitchen that doesn't have a gauge and is probably 10 years old (or more). We will use this for "training" and I'll replace it, and get a few more for the additional sheds that have been added.

#28 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,622 Thanks
  • 3,916 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:45 PM

We have to have FE's at work every so many feet in the warehouse to meet city code.  Pretty standard stuff.

The company won't train us on how to use FE's.

Every month we have safety meetings as required by our insurance but the month we do fire safety we are told:

"You do not touch the FE. 

Don't seek one out, 

Don't try to use one. 

Don't seek out co-workers unless they are in your path then shout a warning as you pass.

Just run like hell!"

We have a meeting spot a couple doors down [this is a large industrial park] to account for everyone and have been told when the fire dept. gets there they will move us back another 1/2 mile. 

As I understand the fire dept is not allowed to enter the building if its on fire.  There job is only to evacuate a large area. 

:biting_nails:

#29 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,933 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:20 AM

Sounds like some nasty chemicals in there.
  • Gtractor and propane1 have said thanks

#30 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 08:30 AM

We have to have FE's at work every so many feet in the warehouse to meet city code.  Pretty standard stuff.

The company won't train us on how to use FE's.

Every month we have safety meetings as required by our insurance but the month we do fire safety we are told:

"You do not touch the FE. 

Don't seek one out, 

Don't try to use one. 

Don't seek out co-workers unless they are in your path then shout a warning as you pass.

Just run like hell!"

We have a meeting spot a couple doors down [this is a large industrial park] to account for everyone and have been told when the fire dept. gets there they will move us back another 1/2 mile. 

As I understand the fire dept is not allowed to enter the building if its on fire.  There job is only to evacuate a large area. 

:biting_nails:

Thats what we were told when I worked for a company that made blasting agent.... ANFO

• Gtractor said thank you