• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 08:54 PM

I retired a while back working on the house and such doing trees moved all my tractors to middle of back yard filled them all up with gas when parked. Went to move them my 226 & 224 fired right up 3016 would not start. Pop the hood no gas going to carb all mine have clear lines from pump to carbs. Figured pulse pump went bad it happens no biggie pull it around to shed . Then the 318 cant keep running pop hood all kinds of air bubbles crap sucking air somewhere pull the seat pan can't find any loose connections meanwhile my boy is having trouble getting the rider going so I had him come over to listen when I pull the line off carb and blow in it. Did not need him to listen no resistance just air straight into tank.~~******~~~one stole my ~~~~~ gas. Look at the old monkey ward not a drop and rider just dribble go to shed 3016 drained. The two that had gas had tanks towered the house. All together they got little over ten gallons . Ain't life grand.     

• MH81, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 09:33 PM

The depravity, sorry to hear that! The depths to which people have fallen is a sad story, at least they were lazy thrives and left you the heavy steel.
  • Alc, KennyP, gopher and 1 other said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 09:52 PM

My kids would use my gas (in cans) and not fess up to it. I keep a gallon can of pre-mix for the weed eater, I now know which car it went into.

• limebuzz, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 9 others have said thanks

#4 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 09:52 PM

the bad thing is that gas prices are pretty low right now, it will only get worse if it goes back up.

• chieffan said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Many tractors just leak when parked and keep leaking once started. You sure it isn't just that happening? Was long time ago you filled? Briggs engines are more prone to do this than others. I have shut-offs on all of mine as they leak over time it seems.

• chieffan said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 07:54 AM

I agree on the leak situation.  I have two that leak and both have shutoffs.  Briggs on the spliter is leaking around the bottom of the tank so that don't stop with a fuel shut off.  A small leak will get rid of a lot of gas in a short time as the pressure of the gas above the leak speeds it up.  You will know next spring if they leaked or not.

Edited by chieffan, December 07, 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#7 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 08:32 AM

I had a similar issues a while back i went to start the 300 jd an it wouldnt fire an this was the first time so i checked everything but the gas tank the next day i used a long screwdriver an to my surprise the tank was dry lucky that was is all but its my fault for not checking it sooner.

#8 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 08:57 AM

When my pap was having issues with people stealing gas around his town a few people got together and left cans mixed heavily with water sitting around easy to steal. Food for thought.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#9 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:06 PM

I get fuel stolen all the time!!!! Dad has figured out that if the can is empty I will just fill it, been like that for years.
Pete
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:12 PM

We keep all ours under key now, except what's in the tractors and those we tend to run light.
There have been a couple of times I've wanted to leave a gas can of water out, but I'm afraid I would be the idiot to use it.
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#11 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 02:21 PM

Many tractors just leak when parked and keep leaking once started. You sure it isn't just that happening? Was long time ago you filled? Briggs engines are more prone to do this than others. I have shut-offs on all of mine as they leak over time it seems.

Any thing is possible the MW does have shut off that Briggs will leak it out. Just odd it was the 3 in back.

#12 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Just leave a mix of 60% gas 40% diesel. They won't drive for long.

Mike

#13 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted December 09, 2015 - 09:48 PM

This reminds me of an old story I heard on Paul Harvey radio .

" An elderly couple in 'wherever' USA had a large motorhome . They found that since they didn't travel much with it they decided to convert the 2nd fuel tank into an extra sewerage holding tank . One day they woke up and walked out of the motorhome to find a piece of garden hose hanging from the second tanks opening and evidence on the ground that someone had been violently ill . "  Now you know the rest of the story !

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks