11 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,184 Thanks
  • 1,469 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 08:46 PM

On Saturday I  traded an Allis Chalmers B1 and some parts for the Bolens 1250. After working on it for a few minutes the engine is running but needs the carb rebuilt badly. I'll work on it some more another day when I have some free time.

The today I took a small trip to pick up a Sears SS/16 parts tractor. It's in fair shape but sat outside for a long time so there is a lot of rust. The main reason I bought it was for the 48in mower deck that came with it.

I will take some more pictures in the daylight soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04264.JPG
  • DSC04267.JPG
  • DSC04271.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, CRFarnsworth and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,310 Thanks
  • 996 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 08:54 PM

I'd like to have that sears, you going to fix that one up too
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 622 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Grill good shape on sears. I don't know but seems like every other one of them I see  has a corner or some thing broke . Poor design or a lot of ramy drivers?

#4 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,184 Thanks
  • 1,469 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 09:37 PM

I'd like to have that sears, you going to fix that one up too

I won't be saving the Sears. It needs more work than it's worth to me. I'll be parting it out to help others live.

Grill good shape on sears. I don't know but seems like every other one of them I see  has a corner or some thing broke . Poor design or a lot of ramy drivers?

It's a poor design in my opinion. The upper grille is made of plastic/fiberglass and doesn't have much support other than two small mounting tabs.

• gopher and chieffan have said thanks

#5 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,310 Thanks
  • 996 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:30 AM

I won't be saving the Sears. It needs more work than it's worth to me. I'll be parting it out to help others live.

It's a poor design in my opinion. The upper grille is made of plastic/fiberglass and doesn't have much support other than two small mounting tabs.

I think alot of times what happens is the cable breaks and guys open the hood the whole way and it puts all the weight on the hinge and breaks it. I just got done making one for my gt18, out of steel it took me about 20 hours but it looks exactly the same side by side you can't tell the difference at all. I should start making them and selling them if I could get the time down to about 10 hours
  • chieffan and Paulgo have said thanks

#6 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,310 Thanks
  • 996 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:31 AM

You don't have a push rod for the mower deck do you? I may have to make one of those too

#7 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,310 Thanks
  • 996 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:33 AM

I think alot of times what happens is the cable breaks and guys open the hood the whole way and it puts all the weight on the hinge and breaks it. I just got done making one for my gt18, out of steel it took me about 20 hours but it looks exactly the same side by side you can't tell the difference at all. I should start making them and selling them if I could get the time down to about 10 hours

did you buy that sears off craigslist I live I pa too and saw one on there that looked like it

#8 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,184 Thanks
  • 1,469 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 08:19 AM

did you buy that sears off craigslist I live I pa too and saw one on there that looked like it

No this one wasn't on craigslist. I do have the rod that engages the mower deck.

#9 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,545 Thanks
  • 2,777 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 08:23 AM

both look to be good finds its good to know that parts from the sears will help other live i hate seeing gts just scrapped out

#10 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 1,383 Thanks
  • 875 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Gotta like the Onan on the Sears :thumbs: Is it complete, freed up?

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,171 Thanks
  • 5,279 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 09:26 AM

or run into a low hanging tree limb  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

If there was a guy who could make a mold and make a steel structured, reinforced fiberglass hood, bet he could make a killing selling them.

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#12 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,310 Thanks
  • 996 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 09:50 AM

or run into a low hanging tree limb  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

If there was a guy who could make a mold and make a steel structured, reinforced fiberglass hood, bet he could make a killing selling them.

I could probably make a mold. And make them I'd have to try