• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 01:45 PM

Anyone ever hear from John@Reliable?   How bout Ken in NJ???  there are others too I havent seen on the forums in a while, was wondering about...

• johndeereelfman and Oldford have said thanks

#2 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 01:57 PM

http://gardentractor...6-johnreliable/

http://gardentractor...ser/9515-njken/

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 02:16 PM

We have quite a few members who have just disappeared.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 02:25 PM

We are caused of being too "social" now and not "tractorites" that forum is about. Stay on tract, keep tractor in posts. Ummmm, still waiting for snow here. Neighbor mowed yesterday! There....tractor related.
  • MH81, KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 02:50 PM

It happens with all forums, members come and go, priorities change ...... some disappear for a year or two then come back......

• MH81, KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 02:54 PM

I'm on several. Depends on if I own the brand. When brand is gone from here, don't visit those sites much, till another one comes along.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 03:23 PM

This is the only forum I still post on daily. Other forums strife and arguing has ran them into the ground
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, OldBuzzard and 10 others have said thanks

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 03:29 PM

I just posted something similar on the chat room post. I have noticed a number of members who had great tractor info no longer seeing them on here. I really enjoy this site but again when look anymore it's almost all off topic subjects. any interesting posts gets drowned out in a day. I haven't posted anything on my latest restoration cause it seems like more members are interested in commenting on someone's broken car or water heater than tractors.
I don't know it almost would make sense if there was a way to split off a section where there's one side for open forum and another for tractors.
I don't mean to complain we have a great group here I just don't want to see it dry up
  • Alc, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 5 others have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 03:46 PM

I just posted something similar on the chat room post. I have noticed a number of members who had great tractor info no longer seeing them on here. I really enjoy this site but again when look anymore it's almost all off topic subjects. any interesting posts gets drowned out in a day. I haven't posted anything on my latest restoration cause it seems like more members are interested in commenting on someone's broken car or water heater than tractors.
I don't know it almost would make sense if there was a way to split off a section where there's one side for open forum and another for tractors.
I don't mean to complain we have a great group here I just don't want to see it dry up

I agree on keeping the non-tractor related topics off the main list.  I am guilty of it too but a tractor related topic should take priority.  The site name is Garden Tractor Talk and should be held to that.  Keep the lawn mowers and other stuff off on another part of the site.  I may be steeping on toes but sometimes toes need to be stepped on to wake people up.

• Alc, Genem and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,304 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 04:08 PM

I know the place is supposed to be about tractors but to me and many others it is a place that joins many like-minded individuals that live in the same messed up world and we share the common bond that yes, we all like tractors.  As said in here and other places some purists would prefer to talk tractors only in this forum.  Many of the newer members don't know a big reason many of us came here in the first place.  It's a story I'd rather not dredge up and behind us all now so let the sleeping mule lie..  

**BTW NJ Ken stated that he would be away for a while back when he left so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  John in Reliable the case is unknown but that is just the way that life goes..  Situations and livelihoods change..  A lost job or life altering event can cause folks to just up & drop off the radar.. (Maynard was a huge loss as we all enjoyed interacting with him..)  **John and Ken are two huge reasons I come over here in the first place so you can blame them BTW!!  

Growling in open forum about what should be what and the way 'you think' the place should be run will only lead to one possible end.  Folks will leave and yet another great slice of cyberspace will suffer as a result.  I contribute a lot of off topic stuff so yes, I'm guilty of being a tractor non-purist..  

Don't like the Off topic stuff?  Disregard that section is all I can suggest..   Perhaps there is a simple way you can tune that section out?  PM a MOD to see.  Most of us are adults so can we just let the sleeping dog lie instead of ripping a great place up?  George and the other folks that put this place together and I appreciate it and many others as well.  Thanks guys for all you do and letting me muck your place up!!

If you have an issue or suggestion PM a mod and keep it out of public view please.  Just saying..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, December 06, 2015 - 04:09 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, hamman and 14 others have said thanks

#11 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,527 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 04:15 PM

I guess I am looking at it differently. The socializing part keeps us active between tractor topics. We also are at the time of year when we don't do as much with our tractors.
  • Alc, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 7 others have said thanks

#12 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 04:35 PM

.... I haven't posted anything on my latest restoration cause it seems like more members are interested in commenting on someone's broken car or water heater than tractors.

Guilty as charged.. but I posted my water heater story about an hour after you posted this. It was to give anyone interested a heads up about water leaks around electric water heaters and the possible damage that could be caused by that. I dont start any new GT threads because I have not bought a new one for close to 4 years and my old ones dont break...(much)

Edited by tater195, December 06, 2015 - 04:40 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#13 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 04:51 PM

I think this site does a great job of separating interests and still being GT as the main course. I myself often get lost in other pressing matters, mostly health issues this last year but with this many members it seems reasonable that lots of other things are happening in families that affect time online. I'm just a simple kind of guy and if you ever see me post anywhere else car, truck, tractor or whatever I will still be jpackard56.  If I offend anybody just let me know so we can work it out, REALLY !! some times I'm wrong (just ask my wife) which brings me to my joke of the day since we are talking about stuff getting away from being focused on GT's Here goes: It's a play on the old tree falls in the woods....."If a guy has a thought way off in the forest with no women around, is he still wrong?

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 05:20 PM

I'm guilty also.....but  being social & sharing all aspects of life isn't something I feel guilty about at all.  I'll put it this way....if everyone that came to my plow day were only there to plow and plow only....I wouldn't bother putting on a plow day.  

Many of us have had severe health issues or lost loved ones, and so many members here have given their best in moral support during those times.

That said, I do understand how hitting the "view new content" icon can mean a lot of scrolling for what interests some members.  It's not my site to say, but there may be a way to separate the "off topic" from the "new content".  But we have many members, and only a few discontent with how it's set up now.

• Bolens 1000, DH1, Gtractor and 13 others have said thanks

#15 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,869 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 05:21 PM

This site is much more than just a GT forum I think it is the greatest thing to come along. It gives everyone a chance to express them selves and builds a sense of camaraderie amongst its members something that is lacking in todays society . Everyone here loves their tractors that's why we belong to it , but I don't think there's anything wrong whatsoever in having diversified discussion about topics other than tractors , we can all learn something useful while browsing the posts not dedicated solely to tractors , its what makes this site the great place it is . HankG

• olcowhand, Alc, drbish and 8 others have said thanks