4 replies to this topic

#1 tractormike OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 08:43 PM

I'll post a picture of one of my first custom built tractors. When I found this Massey it had no engine or wheels on it. I figured I wasn't hurting anything by customizing it. I use 6.70x15 ag tires mounted on Dodge caravan spare tire rims for the back tires. The Dodge rims have the right 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. I used 4.00x6 tri ribs for the fronts.
It scales out pretty well and makes a neat conversation piece at tractor shows. Of my custom built tractors this is my favorite. Hope you like it.

Posted Image

I have pulled it at garden tractor pulls and it has done quite well for itself. This was the first pull I did with it and I had one foot ready on the clutch because I didn't know if it would be light in the front end pulling with the taller rear tires.

Here are some pictures of how I built the narrow front. I used the same basic design as the narrow Allis B-10. I welded a 1 inch shaft down from the bottom side of the Massey frame. I put a 1 inch hole in a piece of 3 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick flat steel and welded that across the bottom of the tractor frame to help support the 1 inch shaft.

This picture shows the heavy wall 1 inch inside diameter tube that I use to support the front axle. The steering arm is welded to the top of the tube and with a turnbuckle and rod runs back to the steering gearbox. The large washer you see at the top does two things. First there is a brass thrush washer between that large washer and the frame to provide a bearing surface. Also if you notice the bolt, spacer, and washer next to it, that prevents the tube from coming off of the 1 inch shaft if you were to raise the front end up like from popping a wheelie.

This picture gives a view of the front end with one of the front wheels installed. I use 6 inch diameter wheelbarrow rims and cut the bearing tube to be just as wide as the rim itself and then reinstall the bearings. On this tractor I used 4.00x6 tri rib tires. I use this combination of 4.00x 6 front tires and 6.70 x 15 rear tires for two resons. First the taller rear tires raise the tractor up enough that I can put the narrow front wheels under the front end and the tractor will still sit level. The other resaon is that these tires have the same size ratio as the real farm tractors and help make it more believable.

Edited by tractormike, April 06, 2010 - 10:27 PM.
added info

• wawcub47 said thank you

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 09:09 PM

That's an excellent job. The tires and wheels look great on there!

#3 broken2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 10:25 PM

That's nice, it's got got me thinking about a possible future project. I'd like to do one but keep the wide front, just add taller ribs and maybe raise and add double lights to the fenders like the 150 in the picture below. Nice to know about the caravan spare rims, that will help alot if I do it.a102980..jpg

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 11:04 AM

I like it, nice job Mike. Only thing I think would make it look nicer is if the grill screen was black. That and a hot chick sitting on it LOL.

Awesome job though and it is nice to know about the caravan rims fitting.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for posting Mike.