• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kansas Terri OFFLINE  

Kansas Terri
  • Member No: 78309
  • 6 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 05:21 PM

I need a tiny tractor to do work for me.

I am older and my heath is not good. Neither is my husband's. But, there is still snow to be shoveled and a garden to be worked, and I think I need mechanical help! The rear tined tiller worked for me once, but the darned thing is getting heavier every year. And, pulling the cord to start it is something that my son has been doing for me, and he is now an adult and he is looking to move out this winter.

Now we only own one acre, and we also have a chicken house, greenhouse, septic laterals, and so forth to take into account: I do not think that a  large tractor would fit: there is just not that much turning radius!   And, a new tractor with what we need would cost what, $20,000? For us that is a pretty steep price just so that we could reduce the work on the garden and push some snow around! So, I started thinking about the old garden tractors: the ones that are shown on youtube plowing and cultivating and pushing snow around. I would REALLY like something like that!

The drawback is, I know nothing about tractors.

Could you kind folk give me some advice on how to learn about old tractors and  how to FIND such a tractor? .Also, I believe that the plow must be lifted at the end of the row with a lever, and I am pretty darned small. Can that be altered, and if so how can I find someone who can do this? Because, of course, I know nothing about tractors and I am not very sympatico with machinery!

Thanks!

• Traill95, Coventry Plumber, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:17 PM

Welcome to GTT. We have a very nice group here that will help with questions. I am now retired and am finding the implements too heavy. I have gone to hydrostatic transmissions with hydraulic lift. Just moving a little lever lifts the 200 pound attachment for me.

The problem with the old GTs, that most of us play with, is that they breakdown and finding parts can be expensive. I do my own work and wouldn't know who to trust to work on them for me. Because I can fix them I prefer GTs from the 60s and 70s.

You could get a GT with a mower deck, a snow plow, and a rear tiller attachments. The hydraulic(or electric) lift would make them easy to use. The problem would be maintenance and repairs. Browse through our Galleries and Manuals Section to see what is around. Look at Craigs List to see what you can buy locally. Talk to friends and family. You will be surprised what is hiding in the back of peoples barns. Ask questions whenever they come up. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, KennyP, Bmerf and 5 others have said thanks

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Terri, I gotta agree with boyscout. But check Craig's list and see if you can find a newer ( 80's) model that needs less maintenance and would have things like hydraulic lift and would be easier to get parts for. Try to pick a brand that still is in business and you could parts and or service done on. Seeing how your not mechanically inclined. Good luck in your search, Tom
  • boyscout862 and Kansas Terri have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 07:29 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum, Terri! Whereabouts in Kansas are you? Sounds like a hydrostatic tractor would be the best choice as it would have hydraulic lift on it.

The posts above have great info in them.

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and Kansas Terri have said thanks

#5 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Welcome to gt talk :wave:

I would recomend a Simplicity landlord, (9hp, 101,2010) They have a sharp turning radius, Can have a hydraulic lift for lifting your snow plow and cultivator, Mower deck,etc.,and make the yard look darn good! You can buy everything you need pretty cheaply and they are indestructable!

Edited by 637Yeoman, December 05, 2015 - 07:46 PM.

• boyscout862 and Kansas Terri have said thanks

#6 Kansas Terri OFFLINE  

Kansas Terri
  • Member No: 78309
  • 6 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 09:35 PM

OK, I will keep my eyes peeled for a tractor with hydrostatic lift and that is from a company that is still in business!

It would be cool to have a working machine by next summer, but the old machines appear if and when they appear in ads, and not before.

I am a bit west of the Kansas City, Kansas area

Edited by Kansas Terri, December 05, 2015 - 09:36 PM.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 11:45 PM

I tend to be a Sears guy, but I am wondering if that's the best fit...
A hydrostatic Wheel Horse may be a good fit. Very popular and solidly built. Attachments avail and fairly easy to change
Make sure it has hydraulic lift and the rear hitch is setup
  • TomLGT195 and Kansas Terri have said thanks

#8 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 03:48 AM

Welcome to GTt, Terri.

• Kansas Terri said thank you

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 08:03 AM

The best bet other than what has already been suggested is to see what is in good supply in your area, it really depends on where the dealers were as to what is avail. Then if there is allot if a specific brand around it shouldn't be to much trouble finding someone to work on it for you. Just be open minded,
  • Paulgo and Kansas Terri have said thanks

#10 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 06:10 PM

I need a tiny tractor to do work for me.

I am older and my heath is not good. Neither is my husband's.

Now we only own one acre, and we also have a chicken house, greenhouse, septic laterals, and so forth to take into account: I do not think that a  large tractor would fit: there is just not that much turning radius!  

Could you kind folk give me some advice on how to learn about old tractors and  how to FIND such a tractor? .

Thanks!

Welcome to GTT.  You came to the right place, many of us here are getting older, failing health, downsizing, etc.  I've been into garden tractors for a while, finally last year i had to get one with hydraulic lift b/c of health.  I asked here and got a bunch of recommendations.  I searched for those brands on local craigslist, it took a while to sift through, ask sellers questions, checked out a few, etc.

Deere, Case, Wheel Horse, Ford LGT/Jacobsen/Homelite were the most available where I live.  I also searched those subforums here on GTT to get info on which models had the lift and attachments I needed.

I did a search on Kansas cl "hydraulic garden tractor" there was a nice looking Snapper/Massey i believe for 1500, seems kind of high, then some "nearby results" a hydraulic Deere plow for 300 but you'd need a tractor

https://topeka.craig... garden tractor

Another thing would be if there is a small engine shop nearby you could look for that brand motor in case of problems in future, i like old "Cast Iron Kohler" singles good on gas too.

It really helps to have a trailer ready to go in case you find a good deal and need to move fast.  I rented a uhaul trailer for my last 2 tractors, they have a pretty good rate.

If you find something post it up here and we'll try to figure it out for you, good luck

• MH81 said thank you

#11 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 09, 2015 - 11:08 PM

90's model cub cadet, around 16-18hp. Someone local had a late model cub cadet super garden tractor with power steering, 3pt, 60" mower deck and the front hydraulic blade for 2500.00. It was also powered by a Kubota diesel and very clean. I wanted it myself, but alas... my priorities were else where. Those were the last of the good cubs in my opinion

#12 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 312 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 02:10 AM

If you have a lot of snow a blower will work better, blades are great for light snow and short winters you just have to remember the banks will close in fast if putting it somewhere is a problem,changing attachments on older machines is nothing like the new quick hitch's, you will at least be on your hands and knees (if not your back) getting at the pins that hold things on, if health is a problem and a $2'500 tractor is overkill then maybe think about two small gts, one for summer, one for winter, you don't want the one with 15 attachments, it will cost as much or more than a gt with just a tiller and a gt with just a plow together, and as said above shop around for a good small engine shop,a wanted ad on cl will let you know what gts are in your area(and Price's) small engine repair shops are also a good place to look and they are always on the look out for stuff for their customers
  • Paulgo said thank you