• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wahoowad OFFLINE  

wahoowad
  • Member No: 63279
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 04:44 PM

What is the purpose of the top link on a 3 pt. hitch? Is it to hold the attachment at the proper down level?

#2 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 05:08 PM

The top link allows the attached implement to remain at the same angle respective of horizontal regardless of the up or down position. It doesn't swing in an arc so much as it lifts and lowers in a vertical manner.

• wvbuzzmaster, TomLGT195 and Kansas Terri have said thanks

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 05:16 PM

It's also used to set the angle of the implement.

For instance, if it's too long, a mould board plow will have a hard time digging into the ground or will not go deep enough.  Too short and the plow will want to go straight to china. Properly adjusted a 12" plow will go to 6" or so and stay there.

• TomLGT195, propane1, MolonLabe and 1 other said thanks

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 09:40 AM

Yep, helps set the angle of implement, but also keeps implement from flopping over when lifted. If it only has two pivoting points at the bottom, as soon as you lift it, it will flop over towards the front or usually the back and never really lift, top link actually helps when lifting it keeping upright.

#5 wahoowad OFFLINE  

wahoowad
  • Member No: 63279
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 12:36 PM

I guess I'm trying to understand how the toplink functions when using something like a rear grading blade? I guess I incorrectly assumed the toplink would hold the blade at the desired level and resisting upward movement of the blade. Otherwise it seems it would be easy for the blade to get lifted up rather than dragging evenly at the same level.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 03:05 PM

Desired level and resisting upward movement would be a function of the lift arms.

The top link would allow you to change the angle of the blade fore and aft.

Looking at it from the side, you could have it  \ | or / based on the setting of the top link.

Edited by OldBuzzard, December 07, 2015 - 03:05 PM.

• Paulgo said thank you

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 03:08 PM

I guess I'm trying to understand how the toplink functions when using something like a rear grading blade? I guess I incorrectly assumed the toplink would hold the blade at the desired level and resisting upward movement of the blade. Otherwise it seems it would be easy for the blade to get lifted up rather than dragging evenly at the same level.

Not really if the 3pt is a floating type like the Sears manual, blade just floats and most 3pt systems will just float.

If I use a sears as an example, the top link can affect how it digs. If you tighten it up it will pivot the blade backwards causing it to be more of a grader for leveling. Crank the link outwards, it pivots the bottom of blade forward and creates more "bite" for digging.

OB kind of touched on a moldboard plow, if the top link if crank in i.e shorter, it pivots the front point downward causing plow to really dig deep. Moving link outward would cause point to be more level and not dig as deep. A correctly set up plow will dig perfectly on it's own with out any fight.

EDIT, OB responded while I was typing so maybe saying the same things