• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 08:49 AM

I can't get a wifi signal in garage when garage doors are closed. The wife came home with this Netgear product yesterday. Today it will be returned for a full refund. Did not help and we already have the biggest modem our provider has. Not going to pay for a seperate service as they suggested. Signal just can't penetrate my fortress which is only 30' from house

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jazz, December 05, 2015 - 08:49 AM.

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 09:11 AM

I never had much luck with the wifi extenders either. I went and got a product made by netgear called a powerline Ethernet switch kit. It will not give you wifi but works as a hard wire system. Runs throught the power lines in the house. I have had mine for three years and no problems. Internet in the shop works as good as in the house. Now if you are using a phone and can not hard wire like you can a laptop or desktop the this will not work.

• Alc and Jazz have said thanks

#3 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 09:35 AM

I can't get a wifi signal in garage when garage doors are closed. The wife came home with this Netgear product yesterday. Today it will be returned for a full refund. Did not help and we already have the biggest modem our provider has. Not going to pay for a seperate service as they suggested. Signal just can't penetrate my fortress which is only 30' from house

I have the same problem, :(

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 10:12 AM

I've got a Netgear extender in the shop and works pretty well.  The extender is probably about 180 feet away from the modem.  When I first got it I experimented with putting it different places and I found the best place was in the shop by the window.

• Alc and Jazz have said thanks

#5 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 10:16 AM

I have a repeater in my metal sided shop and it works fine most of the time. 100+ feet away from the main wifi. The one in the house is by a window on the back of the house and the repeater is in the window in the shop.

the only real problem I have on the TP-LINK repeater is it wants to do some kind of update/ refresh thing a few times a week and it gets screwed up. I have to do a factory restore and re configure it. It crapps up the wifi in the house when it goes screwy

Edited by tater195, December 05, 2015 - 10:18 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 12:51 PM

I checked with my computer guy on this same thing.  He said it has to be line of sight.  Absolutely no metal walls and through a window is best.   Don't need it for the shop but do for the wood shop which is about 80' away.  The main shop is a steel sided building and can go direct with my laptop to the house with good service.

#7 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 04:18 PM

I just ordered one of these after reading your post. Hopefully it will help get the internet to my workshop. :D

#8 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 04:41 PM

Wife called cable provider. They are coming Monday because I should have wifi service in garage :rocker2: ......that's good to know...

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 04:51 PM

I hope the cable provider helps you out.

I have used a range extender for several years with great success.  I keep it pretty much as chieffan describes.  Line of site with as little as possible in between.  I really like mine.

• Trav1s said thank you

#10 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 04:37 AM

I never had much luck with the wifi extenders either. I went and got a product made by netgear called a powerline Ethernet switch kit. It will not give you wifi but works as a hard wire system. Runs throught the power lines in the house. I have had mine for three years and no problems. Internet in the shop works as good as in the house. Now if you are using a phone and can not hard wire like you can a laptop or desktop the this will not work.

I went with a similar system. Works great. .

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jazz, December 10, 2015 - 04:42 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 08:47 AM

I just ran a hard wire out of the providers modem box and put a another wifi box in another part of the house. Yea, we have to log on's but I already had the other wifi modem when we moved so it worked. I can get wifi down in my barn, it's 150' from the house.

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 12:01 PM

There is a similar thread going on over on the PCLOS forum.  From what I understand from what they are saying is that if your electrical line is all on one group it will work very well but like in my case I have two groups, just below the power meter I have a box that has two breakers one for the house and one for the out buildings, so in that case it doesn't work as well. 

• Jazz said thank you

#13 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 12:14 PM

as long as you are not going thru a transformer, it should work. the grounds and hots should all be tied back to the same spot.

I have never really checked into these, not sure how well they would work on a GFI circuit 

#14 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 04:15 PM

There is a similar thread going on over on the PCLOS forum.  From what I understand from what they are saying is that if your electrical line is all on one group it will work very well but like in my case I have two groups, just below the power meter I have a box that has two breakers one for the house and one for the out buildings, so in that case it doesn't work as well. 

If you are in doubt if the system will work there is a 30 day return on these internet devices.

The system I use carries wifi over power lines. My garage panel is fed from a 60amp breaker in the house. When I built garage I ran all the hydro, telephone line and tv cable  underground to garage. As well I wired garage for the electric door opener I never bothered with,,also put separate circuit for the gas furnace I never bought. I just like to plan ahead

• HDWildBill said thank you

#15 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 07:00 PM

I went with a similar system. Works great. .

I just put the same thing in my shop and it is working great.