• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,135 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 10:52 PM

I have a Woods 1250, zero turn, same unit as a Grasshopper 1212. 1989 model.

I have a problem with the left side hydro/ which from what I have found out is clockwise rotation, and model 700.  I have a Grasshopper PN of 391430 for the hydro motor assembly.

Does anyone have one of these hydros laying around? I guess they used this same hydro on some Wheel horse, bolens, bunton and probably others. 

I cannot find anyone that has any parts for these units.  I want to tear into it to find out why all I can do is "donuts" to the left, since the right wheel still works. but not until I see what parts may be available from whatever source possible.

I did just buy a manual on the 6 and 7 series Eaton hydro's via Ebay but not yet here.

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,135 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 06:25 PM

Really?? 69 views and nobody knows anything about these hydro units or even a parts source?   Arrrgh.... This is, and has been too good of a mower to give up on... the body is in good shape, the engine is strong and don't use a drop of oil, (no hour meter but I'd guess probably run over on oil change intervals LOL)   

Anyone know of any "common problems" on these units?   Where can I get parts?  I do not want to deal with a Woods or Grasshopper stealership  if at all possible....

• KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,530 Thanks
  • 44,981 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 06:32 PM

I know nothing about these machines and I think that is the issue with your not finding help here with it.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,715 Thanks
  • 30,983 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Wish I could help, but no personal knowledge of these mowers.  

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,295 Thanks
  • 5,990 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Really doesn't seem to be much discussion about any zero turns on here. I guess we are mostly just a bunch of old iron admirers.

Hope someone will show up with the info your looking for.  

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,135 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 07:01 PM

Yeah but that's like a Chevy guy saying that they don't know "anything" about a Ford. There are differences but there is alot that can be applied towards another brand.
Like my ZTR's 12 hp Kohler engine, there are other machines that utilize an Eaton 700 series hydro unit. Woods did not make that, they outsourced it just like Bolens or Wheel Horse....

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,715 Thanks
  • 30,983 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 07:13 PM

I've never been inside an Eaton.  I've remachined Sundstrand units to work like new again, but Eaton's innards I have never seen except in pics.  

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,530 Thanks
  • 9,826 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 08:44 PM

Don, how much and how far are you willing to go for parts?

$750 GH 1212 complete and running in Rochester, MN: http://rmn.craigslis...5299780916.html

This guys parts out GH's: http://minneapolis.c...5331828017.html  (Rockford, IA not IL) 

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,295 Thanks
  • 5,990 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 08:46 PM

Other than the charge pump I've not worked on one either. What's it acting like?

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,135 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:09 PM

Other than the charge pump I've not worked on one either. What's it acting like?

A little history first. I have had this unit for about 8 years, got it  non running from a local IH tractor dealer.  A fresh plug, fresh oil, pulled the carb bowl, and drained the water out of the gas tank, put gas in instead and it has run fine for me since--until this year.

It has always always been just a wee bit slow on the left side, always had to pull the right lever back just a little as the right one has always been just a little (but not much) "faster" at full tilt.  of course I don't run it full tilt while mowing, just to and from the garage..

This year I did not even use it until the mowing season was 3/4 over because of some tilling and such I did in my yard, it was easier to just push mow around all that.  I went to use it in Sept. at a friend's farm, mowed the lawn with it up around the house, probably 3/4 acre.

Went to use it the 1st day, and burned up the deck belt that connects the 3 blade spindles so I ran it back into the barn and shut it off.

Went back 2 days later with new deck belt, put it on, and all of a sudden the left side had no power at all, I could only do donuts to the left as the right hydro still works. I left it a few hours and went to a tractor show and it worked again weird.  So I mowed with it, and my wife mowed with it while I switched to a push mower, and it started getting slower  and slower on the left side and finally the left one died. Again relegated to doing donuts.    At this point I lifted the seat and the left hydro was HOT.   Let it sit a few hours, and it kinda worked again til it heated up and slowly died again.  The last time I went out there and tried to move it to get my snow blower out, it was stone cold and the left side was dead.

At one time among all of this the oil tank went dry, so I filled it, bled it, and after it was full, the left one still gets hot and dies off once heated up. The right side does not get hot at all. I could not tell where the fluid went, I didn't see any obvious leaks, as short a time as went by for it to go dry, something should have been soaked, but it was bone dry.

The 1st 7 years I had this machine, it cut  ALOT of grass, a he11uva lot more than just my puny yard/ just not "this" season..

The way this works is that the engine drives a "T" gearbox, and each leg of the "T" is connected to a hydro via a lovejoy connector.

Each lever operates one hydro, one for each wheel.  Each hydro has a chain, driving the wheel on that side of the machine.

Whereas a GT has a single hydro direct coupled to a transaxle, a ZTR has 2 hydros.

The older models of this unit, had an oil reservoir atop each hydro. this one has a common reservoir feeding oil to both hydros.

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,135 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:21 PM

and Cat; thanks for the heads up from the guy in Iowa/  I have talked to him, seen his listings on Feebay, he wants more for a used hydro than I can buy a brand new one for at the moment ($550 each  for his used/unknown if it is any good hydro units, someone else has a pair of NOS ones on there now for $100 less each--that is crazy) 

but I want to pull these hydros apart and try and repair them, I'm thinking they can be repaired for less  but I have never been inside of one and have no idea what I'm getting into,   the worst case being that there is an old Grasshopper dealer out in the middle of nowhere about 15 miles from my work that says he should have a known good used one for $250... if this one is a lost cause then that would be the way I'd go,

but being that I wont need a mower for at least the next 4 months I'd like to see if I can do something with the one I have on the machine at the moment, for less.... in the "spirit" of  fixing things, as is the way of most of us here at GT talk.

If I can't get any guidance or insight into these hydro's,  and/or if I cannot find a parts source, I guess I'll be  buying that used one for $250, and taking a chance n it actually being good as the guy claims it is.... I just feel that if I can fix this one I'll know that it is a good unit, no questions...

• olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,295 Thanks
  • 5,990 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 08:00 PM

The first thing that comes to my mind is the bypass is not closed all the way. It sounds like your forcing oil through a restriction somewhere which is creating heat and a loss of power. I believe a worn pump will also do this.  

From my recliner this is just a guess and should be taken as that.

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,530 Thanks
  • 9,826 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 09:54 PM

and Cat; thanks for the heads up from the guy in Iowa/  I have talked to him, seen his listings on Feebay, he wants more for a used hydro than I can buy a brand new one for

I didn't have my hopes up, his prices on stuff he has listed on CL is expensive. I was hoping he had one on the shelf he'd let go cheaper since it's an older model.

#14 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,135 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 08:29 AM

I didn't have my hopes up, his prices on stuff he has listed on CL is expensive. I was hoping he had one on the shelf he'd let go cheaper since it's an older model.

yeah me too....

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,135 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 08:31 AM

Chris,

I'm thinking "worn pump" too, but have never had one of these apart, that's basically the whole reason for the thread, hoping that someone had been inside one of these.... I hear talk of Eaton model 11 on here but never Eaton 7, I wonder how much differences are between them, if know how on an 11 can be applied to a 7 series?     also hoping someone else's experience can point me to a source for rebuild parts....