How stupid can I get !
Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:31 PM
So please be carefully in your shops.
As olcowhand said, I'll go hide in my corner now. Noel
- olcowhand, Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster and 15 others have said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:51 PM
Don't beat yourself up to bad, we have all been there and hopefully learned from our mistakes. at least you managed to salvage it and nothing major was hurt. A long time ago when I was young and stupid I cleaned out the wood stove in my fathers garage, well the only thing I could find was a plastic pail------------------------------ so I cleaned the stove and put the ash in the bucket and said to myself "next time I go out I will empty that pail and it will be ok" Well I worked in that garage all day and forgot then went home for the nite, about 2am I got a really nasty wakeup call by dad beating ion the door ready to kill me the garage was on fire and the fire department was on the way.
When all was said and done I had destroyed 3 chainsaws, really badly damaged a truck I had in there and lost the sled I had been working on all day. and really pissed my dad off!!!!!!!
- olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:52 PM
Glad that you are okay. Chaulk it up to"the hurrier I work, the behinder I get". You were lucky, maybe you should by a lottery ticket. Good Luck, Rick
Edited by boyscout862, December 04, 2015 - 04:54 PM.
- Traill95, Bmerf, propane1 and 1 other said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:53 PM
It's one of the most dangerous tools in a shop. The kids we were getting had never seen a shop class.
I've been there and done that, I actually set an old oil filled trench sump on fire once years ago.
I dropped a red hot nut I'd just cut off. And in true redneck fashion, I've set myself on fire a few times too.
- Alc, KennyP, jimbobbillyray and 5 others have said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:14 PM
Been there, done that! Don't beat yourself up too bad! It's a learning experience! Bet you won't do that again!
True, but I still set myself on fire once in a while. I haven't set anything else on fire in weeks.
I always have a supply of sand, water, and several fire extinguishers. I do a lot of steel work, and that requires sparks. I pay attention to where my sparks go.
Unfortunately, cutting and grinding on a bench burns holes in my hoodies/shirt at a rate that can be expensive. I go through a dozen a year.
- Alc, Oldford, propane1 and 1 other said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:18 PM
Did it myself.
Does not last for long.
The bolt will loosen up and fall out again.
It wasn't a bolt to begin with.
It was a welded on stud.
That's why you feel the need to drill the hole.
I was fortunate to have a parts tractor with a spare.
Still, it was a big job to get it out and the new one in!
- Chopperhed, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:21 PM
Chopperhed is dead right. Unless a person is trained in proper use, safe handling and storage of acetylene little else in your shop is as dangerous and lethal. I use torches very little anymore and switched to oxygen/propane. It gets the job done.
Shop fires usually happen after the person has left the garage. .many times the result of welding/grinding slag,,an ember that slowly turns your shop into a roman candle.. I always stay in shop for at least half hour after grinding or welding indoors.
- chris m, Bmerf, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:36 PM
- Traill95 and chieffan have said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:49 PM
bin there done that , that's way I have 2 fire extinguishers in my shop . One on each end . And like we all said Thank god you are not hurt or worst a tractor get hurt .
- Traill95, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:15 PM
Usually a little water out there, but in the winter, it's to hard to use.
- propane1 and chieffan have said thanks
Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:29 PM
I know a repairman that no longer starts new or worked on engines in his garage. Takes them all outside for first start. He had an incident that almost lost his garage in a tractor fire on start-up try. Yep, torch makes sparks, slag, dumb aiming and burnt clothing and hands if no gloves when handling the worked on part, heh! Welding and grinding almost same issues if a big job.
- boyscout862, HANKG, propane1 and 1 other said thanks