• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:31 PM

Had a problem with the lgt165 ford today. I heard a snap and It stopped lifting the blower. Into the shop, figured out what was wrong, difficult place to work, figugued out how to fix it, found the stuff to do it, needed to make a 3/8 hole in 1/4 plate where the stud that lifts every thing was. When the stud broke out, if left a small hole throught the plate. So only need a bit more to enlarge it to get the 3/8 bolt in. Difficult place to work, so tried to figure away to drill it. Then thought, I'll use the cutting torch to cut it out, only needed a little bit. So lit the torch, put it up to cut , then instantly the old,oil and grease filled, grass went afire. Tried to blow it out, that was stupid, so it was heading to the plastic gas tank 1/3 full of gas. So ran outside , got some snow and threw it on it. Then crawled under and dug out the rest of the grass on fire and got it out. Burnt two wires. All the time this was happening I was in panic mode and wondered how long do I stay in here before the gas tank melts. And thinking about losing three tractors, my sons 64 rambler , my fathers tools and all the other stuff I have collected.

So please be carefully in your shops.

As olcowhand said, I'll go hide in my corner now. Noel
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster and 15 others have said thanks

#2 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:38 PM

I have 4 fire extinguishers in my shop, all easy to get to. Every shop should have at least a couple.

• Alc, chris m, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:40 PM

cutting the hole then going in house for a beer break would have been disaster,,,staying on the job saved the day!

• KennyP, chris m, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:44 PM

Glad you got the fire extinguished. Good lesson for us all going into the cold season.
  • chris m, boyscout862, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:51 PM

Don't beat yourself up to bad, we have all been there and hopefully learned from our mistakes.  at least you managed to salvage it and nothing major was hurt.  A long time ago when I was young and stupid :smilewink: I cleaned out the wood stove in my fathers garage, well the only thing I could find was a plastic pail------------------------------  so I cleaned the stove and put the ash in the bucket and said to myself "next time I go out I will empty that pail and it will be ok" :wallbanging:  Well I worked in that garage all day and forgot then went home for the nite, about 2am I got a really nasty wakeup call by dad beating ion the door ready to kill me the garage was on fire and the fire department was on the way.

When all was said and done I had destroyed 3 chainsaws, really badly damaged a truck I had in there and lost the sled I had been working on all day.  and really pissed my dad off!!!!!!!

Pete

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:52 PM

Glad that you are okay. Chaulk it up to"the hurrier I work, the behinder I get". You were lucky, maybe you should by a lottery ticket. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, December 04, 2015 - 04:54 PM.

• Traill95, Bmerf, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:53 PM

A year or so ago I had to write a training manual detailing the setup use and safety on the oxy acetylene torch, complete with exam.
It's one of the most dangerous tools in a shop. The kids we were getting had never seen a shop class.

I've been there and done that, I actually set an old oil filled trench sump on fire once years ago.
I dropped a red hot nut I'd just cut off. And in true redneck fashion, I've set myself on fire a few times too.
  • Alc, KennyP, Delmar and 5 others have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Been there, done that! Don't beat yourself up too bad! It's a learning experience! Bet you won't do that again!

• Delmar, chris m, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:14 PM

Been there, done that! Don't beat yourself up too bad! It's a learning experience! Bet you won't do that again!

True, but I still set myself on fire once in a while. I haven't set anything else on fire in weeks.

I always have a supply of sand, water, and several fire extinguishers. I do a lot of steel work, and that requires sparks. I pay attention to where my sparks go.

Unfortunately, cutting and grinding on a bench burns holes in my hoodies/shirt at a rate that can be expensive. I go through a dozen a year.
  • Alc, Oldford, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#10 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:18 PM

I know that repair.
Did it myself.
Does not last for long.
The bolt will loosen up and fall out again.
It wasn't a bolt to begin with.
It was a welded on stud.
That's why you feel the need to drill the hole.
I was fortunate to have a parts tractor with a spare.
Still, it was a big job to get it out and the new one in!

Joe
  • Chopperhed, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#11 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:21 PM

Chopperhed is dead right.  Unless  a person is trained in proper use, safe handling and storage of acetylene little else in your shop is as dangerous and lethal.  I use torches very little anymore and switched to oxygen/propane. It gets the job done. 

Shop fires usually happen after the person has left the garage. .many times the result of welding/grinding slag,,an ember that slowly turns your shop into a roman candle..  I always stay in shop for at least half hour after grinding or welding indoors.  

• chris m, Bmerf, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Very true joe, but at least it will be a simple repair next time, with out the use of torches. Noel.
  • Traill95 and chieffan have said thanks

#13 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:49 PM

bin there done that , that's way I have 2 fire extinguishers in my shop . One on each end . And like we all said Thank god you are not hurt or worst a tractor get hurt .

Patrick.

• Traill95, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:15 PM

We have two extinguishers and a couple jugs of sand... In a pinch kitty litter even.
Usually a little water out there, but in the winter, it's to hard to use.
  • propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:29 PM

I know a repairman that no longer starts new or worked on engines in his garage. Takes them all outside for first start. He had an incident that almost lost his garage in a tractor fire on start-up try. Yep, torch makes sparks, slag, dumb aiming and burnt clothing and hands if no gloves when handling the worked on part, heh! Welding and grinding almost same issues if a big job.

• boyscout862, HANKG, propane1 and 1 other said thanks