#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 12:33 PM

put some vinegar in it with washers or nuts shake for 5 minutes then let it sit a day. Rinse with some laquer thinner.

• Gtractor, Little Irish Men and pick-to-stone have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 01:19 PM

I always have used just plain gas with a hand full of new nuts, 3/8 to 1/2 " size.  Shake the tank good for a  min. ever time you walk close to it.  After a day or so any rust that was going to come out will be loosened up and dump out.  Rest will come will couple rinses.  Vinegar is acidic and may help work on the rust a little more, don't know - never tried it.  Vinegar works good on removing rust on hand tools so should work in a gas tank.

• pick-to-stone said thank you

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 01:25 PM

Depending on how bad it is that might not get it. I have let them sit filled with battery acid before overnight, but if they're that bad I always coat them with something like Red Kote after, because they will rust up quick after a battery acid bath if you don't. The coating seals the inside of the tank so that it won't rust any more, and anything that is still on the walls of the taànk won't penetrate the coating and contaminate the fuel again

#5 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 01:32 PM

it's siting in the botum and i mean flacks of rust
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,898 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 01:55 PM

I second the vinegar like 637 said.  Not so harsh a "chemical" as other methods.  Used to use muratic acid but that stuff is terrible harsh.

I don't use the nuts and shake method.  With just a slight slosh around every 20 minutes or so to make sure the entitire inside of the tank stays wet.  That way I can be working on something else.  Sounds like your tank is bad enough to need a couple of doses and leaving it soak overnight won't hurt a thing. 

You will have to coat the inside once its been derustified or you'll be right back where you started.  I recommend POR-15's version.  Its called  U.S. Tank.   Makes the tank look galvanized inside after use and I've not had one fail after 15+ years even with all this wonderful ethanol. 

Good Luck

• pick-to-stone and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 03:56 PM

"DERUSTIFIED" that's my new favorite word! We should have that one added to Webster. I agree with the vinegar treatment and the metal nuts bolts etc. are a good idea to get any lost flakes and such. As you stated you have flakes in the bottom they came from somewhere so knocking any others loose will be good for the long haul. They sell many tank treatments out there most are pretty similar, just make sure to plug the tank outlet and coat the entire inside of the tank. Good luck!
  • Gtractor and pick-to-stone have said thanks

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:41 PM

I put a couple cups full of clean small gravel in them (gravel from the side of the road works good after you wash it) and bungee strap it fast to the rear wheel,jack up the rear of the tractor,put it in gear and let it spin for 10-15 minutes.Dump it out Then stick the garden hose in and let it flush the dirt out.Works really good.

I tried vinegar before and it will cause it to flash rust a bit if it's not neutralized with something.Also tried Muriatic acid and it works Beautifully (takes Every spec of rust out even the heavy flakes but doesn't harm paint) but I didn't have anything on hand to neutralize it.Within 5 minutes of flushing it out it flash rusted and was worse than I started with.I should of had a box of Baking soda on hand.

I just use the gravel strapped to the wheel method now.Takes a bit more time but almost the same results.

POR-15 tank liner is AWESOME stuff but a bit pricey and hard to find locally (at-least it is here)

Edited by EricFromPa, December 04, 2015 - 05:45 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 07:55 AM

Has anybody used Rust Evaporator? I bought a gallon just haven't had a chance to use it yet

• Dayton_King and pick-to-stone have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 07:57 AM

Has anybody used Rust Evaporator? I bought a gallon just haven't had a chance to use it yet

First I have heard of it!

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Advance Auto Parts carries it. Jug says it's re-usable

• KennyP and pick-to-stone have said thanks

#12 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 613 Thanks
  • 690 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 01:07 PM

Problem with everything is that once you get the rust out you need to keep the tank full all the time or the rust will come back. I highly recommend coating the tank afterwards to prevent it in the future

#13 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 01:48 PM

would a good coat of oil help after cleaning or would the gas wash it off and re rust above the fuel level?

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:41 PM

would a good coat of oil help after cleaning or would the gas wash it off and re rust above the fuel level?

Yes, it will wash off.

• pick-to-stone and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#15 Buddy ONLINE  

Buddy
  • Member No: 45481
  • 149 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 08:52 PM

Electrolysis ! it does work.

I remove all the rust out of all my tanks, and all rusty parts using the electrolysis method.

Type in electrolysis on u-tube . Their is a guy working on a old steel 5 gallon boat tank on their. Take a look.

This is a ( on site) method,  so if your tanks have baffles, you will have a problem unless you can gain access to the other side.

I did a old Ford 8N tractor fuel tank going through the fill opening with a electrode, and going through the drain plug hole. Took two complete days but, it was clean and shining like a new nickel.

All you need is water , WASHING soda ,  battery charger 10amp,  and a electrode. I use old rebar or old long gutter nails. (No aluminum !!)

• Chopperhed and pick-to-stone have said thanks