• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rmbarn22 OFFLINE  

Rmbarn22
  • Member No: 78338
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 09:27 PM

I was recently given an Economy Powerking 2418 and to be completely honest I don't know to much about them. From what I have read, the engines tend to have problems and parts can be hard to find. Is there any truth to this? I haven't even attempted to get it running yet but it appears to be in pretty good shape. If I did need to replace the motor, are there any engines (old or new) that match up? Thanks for any help I can get. I'm new to this forum and not very knowledgable when it comes to tractors
  • Traill95, chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,696 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 09:40 PM

Hello, Welcome to GTT, and welcome to tractor collecting :D

Lots of friendly guys here who should be able to help you out, if you post a few pictures some guys may be able to find and provide info.

I believe those had Kohler engines and parts are still readily available for them

• boyscout862, chieffan and Rmbarn22 have said thanks

#3 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:17 PM

I was recently given an Economy Powerking 2418 and to be completely honest I don't know to much about them. From what I have read, the engines tend to have problems and parts can be hard to find. Is there any truth to this? I haven't even attempted to get it running yet but it appears to be in pretty good shape. If I did need to replace the motor, are there any engines (old or new) that match up? Thanks for any help I can get. I'm new to this forum and not very knowledgable when it comes to tractors

What kind of engine does it have?

• boyscout862, chieffan and Rmbarn22 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Welcome to GTT. That is probably a Kohler engine and they are great engines. The PK is a great tractor too. You are off to a great start in our hobby. I suggest that you download the Kohler  manual and read the troubleshooting section(in our Manuals Section). Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, December 03, 2015 - 10:36 PM.

• Rmbarn22 said thank you

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 12:27 AM

Welcome!    :wave:

Those K361's are a right decent engine and better than anything modern that you'll find to replace it with.  Yes they can, and usually have been overheated to where they have dropped a valve seat but thats not usually that big of a deal.  The best replacement engine is the K341, 16 horse Kohler but short of a catastrophic failure of your current engine its not worth the swap.  

See if your engine has compression and if it does try to get it running.  Then you can assess whats going on and where you need to go with it. 

Best of luck

Here is my 2418.  Not very clear because its a pic of a pic.  :rolling: This one had been run without an air filter so it smoked like crazy when I got it.  It got a freshen-up "overhaul" job because I wasn't going to use it to mow or for any long-term hard use.  Parts were easy to get - although that was over ten years ago. 

PK 2418.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, December 04, 2015 - 01:42 AM.

• Alc, chieffan and Rmbarn22 have said thanks

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:48 AM

The engine you have a most likely the k361 with overhead valves.  They are a good strong engine BUT they are very finicky.  They require a little more attention that do most to keep them running the way they should.  This mostly involves keeping the head clean od debris and oil.  There is a small area between the valves and the head that will fill up with stuff in no time and that's when the trouble starts.  The heads warp if it overheats and there are none available. I grew up beside a PK dealer and he had one head to sell several years back and it was not cheap because he knew there weren't many (if any) to be had.

This is not intended to scare you, I'm just being real about it.  I've known people who had these engines for years without a problem so it is very possible.  You just have to be diligent in keeping everything clean. By all means, get the engine running and see what you have.  You might be fine.  Should you want to replace it, a k341 (16hp) as suggested or even a k321 (14hp) would be fine but you need to make sure they are the right spec for the tractor.  They need to be able to bolt up to the hogshead and have the right shaft.  It's very worth putting the work (either way) into this tractor as, in the end, you will have something that will out last you.  I know a guy in Fayettvile who may be able to help you.  I'm just not sure how far that is from you.

Welcome and good luck.

• Gtractor, chieffan and Rmbarn22 have said thanks

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:14 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !!   I got my  2418 without an engine because the seller wanted it for a log splitter , I think .  I had a rough 1612 PK  , that motor went on it so I guess I should say I have a 2412 lol .

• chieffan and Rmbarn22 have said thanks

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 12:33 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• Rmbarn22 said thank you

#9 Rmbarn22 OFFLINE  

Rmbarn22
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 09:01 PM

Hey guys. sorry it took so long to reply! Friday's have become the new Monday's at work. Lol Everything seems to go wrong. But I got home as fast as I could and took some pictures of the motor, serial number,etc.. Let me know what yall think. My goal is to completely restore this thing as fast as my wallet will allow. I fully intend on using this tractor as well. Again, thanks for all the replies and the warm welcome.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#10 Rmbarn22 OFFLINE  

Rmbarn22
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 09:11 PM

Here are the pictures I took tonight. I apologize if the lighting isn't the best.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, shorty and 2 others have said thanks

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:38 AM

Nice looking tractor as is!

#12 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 07:04 AM

Your tractor has some different features that I've never seen before , the brake pedals ,rear lift ,the parking brake lock !

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hi Rmbarn22, nice looking PK, I have a 1618 PK, I really like the 18 hp Kohler but as posted check and clean the head I do mine at least once a year, you'll like the PK as you start using it.

Alc, those features started sometime in the 80's models  not sure what year, mine is a 84 and has them, the park brake lock in my opinion wasn't a big step forward the 3 pt is a great update allows all the attachment to raise and lower the same, and the break pedals are a great improvement over the little bitty ones.

Ok I researched the 3 pt and I think it was in 1980 they made the change per the parts manual SN 52590 didn't look up the brakes.

Edited by MNGB, January 24, 2016 - 04:54 PM.

• Alc said thank you