• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 09:20 PM

I recently bought a cub 147 with a Johnson model loader on it. Member classic helped me to determine that the lack in power from the fel is likely the pump. He said they no longer make the original pumps, And suggested an aftermarket pump. What GPM should I get? The tractor has a 14 horse kohler k321, I assume to large of a pump an the engine won't have the power to spin it? I am very clueless when it comes to hydraulics, so I am relying on you guys to point me in the right direction.

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:05 PM

You would want to know the cylinders bore and stroke, also the cylinders rated pressure. This will help to make sure you don't over power the actuators, or under power for that matter.someone more familiar with the loader in question will be able to help with this, without knowing anything of the system I can't help much.

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:07 AM

Most all of them ran on a 6 gpm pump. Don't be too concerned about pressures as the main valve for the loader will control this with its relief. If you want a fast loader you could step it up to 8 gpm , any more than that and the engine will really suffer as will your nerves, because it could start to get jerky and create excessive heat.
  • Alc, KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 08:34 AM

I have a Case GT pump that runs over 8gpm, but I rarely run the engine over half throttle when using the loader and all works smooth without being jerky.  But my cylinders are 2 1/2" which slows down any jerky from volume.  As Keith said, stick with no more than a 6gpm pump and you'll be fine.  If you still end up with more volume than you'd like, then you can simply go with a larger pulley on the pump to slow things down.

• Alc said thank you

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 11:48 AM

The Johnsons (and others) used a common 24xxx series Cessna pump.  I cracked the Cessna on my Simplicity loader, and was able to find a nice one on ebay for $60.  There were others ranging from $100-200, and I needed no time and little effort to find them.  There are rebuild kits out there too.  These Cessna's are sweet little pumps, and the Johnson 10TC I had used the same pump, but with different in/out port orientation.  You can also smooth out/slow down operation by changing pulley sizes.

Here is one...pay attention to what style shaft they have as well.  I was able to use my old shaft, and simply swap out bases.

http://www.ebay.com/...t-/131564250524

This is the one I bought...

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My project...

20151105_204416.jpg20151105_220448.jpg20151105_221512.jpg20151107_224112.jpg

Edited by Talntedmrgreen, December 04, 2015 - 11:48 AM.

• Alc said thank you