CC 125 Ross steering adjustment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

• Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 175 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 06:21 PM

I just replaced parts and put together my first Ross setup. How tight do I want the cam follower? Should there be much friction on it and the worm gear?
  • pharmer and chieffan have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,645 Thanks
  • 39,016 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Not really! Snug is good, but make sure it is easy to turn both ways!

• Alc, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Keep in mind the center of the gear is maybe going to have looser fit than when it is turned full each way. At times you can adjust the center that feels right, but then is tight as you go to ends. If so, you may have to leave the center adjust a little sloppy to allow for that tightness when turning. If you replaced gear or follower this may not apply, but few really change those parts.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 olds45512 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 77943
  • 566 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 07:14 PM

when i rebuild a column i leave just a little bit of play in it, if you adjust it to the point it has no play then it makes the wheel harder to turn.

• zippy1 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 pharmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 09:50 PM

Make sure it is centered and then tighten the screw till it locks up as you try to turn it either direction. Then turn the screw back off just enough so you can turn with a slight drag through center. Hold the screw and snug the nut up. I've been rebuilding steering gears for 30 years and this is how I set them up whether power or manual.

Edited by pharmer, December 03, 2015 - 09:53 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

• 78 Thanks
  • 175 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:42 PM

Thanks guys. I got a new cam follower and bearings and the smooth thrust bearing mod. I'll get it to where it sound like you're saying and give it a shot.

#7 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,393 Thanks
  • 1,575 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 03:38 AM

Remember, when you feel drag from the cam follower adjusted too far into the worm gear,you may be causing damage already. I've seen chipped worm gears from over tightening the cam follower, and you might as well toss the worm gear shaft in the scrap pile if this happens. Some of the old Ross box covers were cast and will crack if the cam follower is too tight. Even with a new cam follower, a used worm gear will have more wear in the center, which leads to a little play in the gear box while driving straight. The play will diminish when you steer far left or right as others mentioned above. There is quite a bit of pressure exerted on the surface of the worm gear and cam follower as you steer, so again, you really don't want to feel any drag at any point. I find it best to adjust the steering column while out of the machine in a vice, and the steering wheel off. You should be able to turn the steering shaft with your finger tips easily through it's full range of travel without drag. I put a light coat of oil on the bearings, cam follower, and worm gear. If there are any rust pits or chips in the worm gear, you will feel them as the cam follower passes over them when you turn the shaft. A little drag means a lot of pressure on the cam follower and worm gear and premature wear will occur. Some people put grease in steering boxes intended to be filled with oil. It may stop a bad seal from leaking, but it's a good way to wear out the steering box components. The grease gets wiped off of the bearing surfaces while steering and things start to wear quick.
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

• 78 Thanks
  • 175 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 11:23 AM

Thank you all. I checked the service manual and it stated to seat/tighten and back it out 2 turns. I think with your advice that is pretty much what I did. I do need to adjust the linkage so I get more steering left. I didn't drive this tractor before the steering rebuild so I don't know how it was but it worked great and I couldn't pass up a moment even if it was late at night at super cold to drive it.