• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Just thought I'd say "Hi" and let you know I love reading the posts.

I dreamed for years about getting a Bolens Iseki, and this summer made it happen, got a clean G152 with a 48" deck and 48" back blade.  I'm thinking about a blower on the front but and having reservations about the diesel in cold weather. The garage is not heated so it would have to start in cold weather.

So how about it, you guys with an Iseki, how is the starting below 20 F and down to below zero?

So far this thing seems to be a bit cold blooded.

Toward the snowblower end, I also commited to buying a Bolens/Troy Bilt GTX 20 that also has a 48" mower and a 48" blower.  I was thinking large frame but wanted to get something as new as possible to maybe avoid overhauling it before using it. 

Dan

• LPBolens, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 12:15 AM

Hello there and welcome!  :wave:

#3 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 375 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 12:15 AM

If your worried about the diesel, you might think about a block heater.that would help getting it started! Once there going it's great!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 12:23 AM

Welcome to GTT. Please post pics. Relax and enjoy the site. For my diesel Ford in the snow, I throw an old blanket over the engine and put a magnetic heater on the oil pan. Good Luck, Rick

• oldedeeres said thank you

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 01:50 AM

I agree with above a block heater will do the trick! Even a huffer will work, it will cost a bit but are good to have around. Good luck and have fun, welcome to the addiction!

#6 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 03:48 AM

:welcometogttalk: :wewantpics:

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 06:15 AM

Welcome to GTTalk Dan !   Love to see your tractor if you wouldn't mind posting some pics ?

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 06:17 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum, Dan! Post some pics of your tractors.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 07:32 AM

Welcome to the forum, Dan. Is your G152 the older two cylinder or the three cylinder model? My G152 is a 1978, the first year made and has the two cylinder Mitsubishi engine. It is my experience that the two cylinder starts harder than the three cylinder.

I have a block heater on mine. But when I first got it, I thought it was excessively cold blooded. I had a bad glow plug/starter switch, but that was not the issue. I ran a new wire for the glow plugs, I was getting a large voltage drop from the switch to the first one, even more to the second glow plug. (12-9-7)

I keep my tractor in a heated 40 degree garage, and I still plug it in for 10-15 minutes before starting. The other thing with these is how long to run the glow plugs. Normal time is 10-20 seconds. These should be run 45-60 seconds when below 25 degrees.

When I first got mine, I was considering keeping a gas tractor for a backup. I think starting and warming up a 16 hp Briggs for 10 minutes takes more fuel than the diesel uses to blow out the whole driveway.

image.jpeg
  • Alc said thank you

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Don't those Diesels have an indicator light on them to tell you when to release the button?  I only had one diesel in my life, an International in an old Ford pickup for a work truck.  It had the indicator light.  Sure was hard on glow plugs though at $20 a pop.  Heat is the secret to get any engine running it cold weather.  Those magnetic block heater are not to bad as long as your not trying to warm up a big block.  Just my 2 cents worth.

• Alc said thank you

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 08:49 AM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 09:16 AM

I'd also make sure you have a strong battery and that you check all the high current connections in the starter circuit to make sure you are getting as much power as possible to the starter. Also, never use starting fluid with a diesel engine. You might want to change the fuel filter and add a bit of de icer and winter fuel treatment to your fuel. Keep the tank topped up through the winter. Since a small diesel uses very little fuel  you need to make sure that condensation doesn't accumulate during the sometimes long interval between fill ups. 

#13 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,756 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 09:42 AM

Welcome,your going to really like your Iseki,I had a 1502H with a deck on it,mowed very well,the GTX tractors are very nice also,run very smooth,I'm not a big fan of the 60" deck,unless you have a nice level yard they tend to scalp,also there a little harder on the electric clutch,the 48" really cut nice,good luck and please post some pics,also if you need anything give our site sponsors first chance with your needs

#14 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:05 AM

for real cold starts if you cannot get your tractor indoor you may consider getting yourself a tiger torch. Set torch end inside piece of stove pipe with elbow at end of pipe to direct heat at engine. Pulling a tarp over unit is also a big help..we use these to start skidders, cats, trucks etc... equipment that has been shut off for days in -30 conditions..little engine like that would warm right up in 15 minutes.. tiger torches are maybe $60 and you will need a propane tank,,which you likely already have,,,A magnetic heater would suffice provided its plugged in for a couple hours ahead of starting

You may call them by another name. Many uses for the torch

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jazz, December 03, 2015 - 10:27 AM.

#15 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 11:23 AM

:welcometogttalk: