• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 09:11 PM

My sister's 2002 VW passat has the low oil pressure light on, The turbo return line going back to the oil pan is missing a gasket we just got the part in tonight. Does anybody know if that could cause low oil pressure ? Haven't hooked a oil pressure gauge to it but my BIL paid someone to install a new oil pan and I ended up having to torque them to spec because the guy didn't do it.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 09:47 PM

best thing you can do is get rid of it. my wife had a 2000 vr6 jetta. never will own another vw again. nice driving car but a huge $$$ to maintain and always was breaking down. you are slave to dealer too with the codes and local garages never wanted to work on them.
  • boyscout862, karl and bbuckler have said thanks

#3 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 10:15 PM

if someone just had the pan off its possible they bumped the pick up tube and it fell off in the pan, i wouldn't start it again until you get a mechanical gauge hooked up to it.

• Alc said thank you

#4 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 10:40 PM

if someone just had the pan off its possible they bumped the pick up tube and it fell off in the pan, i wouldn't start it again until you get a mechanical gauge hooked up to it.

They did break the baffle plate and left it is the oil pan.

• Alc said thank you

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 08:29 AM

I haven't played with a VW turbo.  As said above, I also owned one VW(1998 Jetta) and promptly sold that pile and moved on with my life.  Loved the car, fun to drive, and it was roomy good for what I needed at the time.

And I will say that is one hell of a mechanic your BIL paid.....

• bbuckler and Marty'70 have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 09:20 AM

Volkswagons are "Drivers Cars" and tend to be fun to drive and handle well. However, I've always found them to be "Mechanics Cars" as well. This topic just shows how something as seemingly simple as a gasket replacement can end up ruining an engine if not done properly. 

• bbuckler said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:03 AM

I do not know much about the newer VWs. I had 2 VW Rabbits and they were great reliable cars that both ran close to 200,000 miles for me. Were cheap to run and easy to work on . I put a clutch and a radiator in the gas model.
The radiator was my fault, got heavy handed and broke the the hose spout on the tank, while changing a thermostat.
In 1990 I drove that one to McAllen Texas, spent Christmas with the inlays, then to Tatum, NM. For New Years with my parents.
That was with my wife and two teenagers, over 3000 miles in 10 days, might be too much in a car that size loaded like that.
The diesel cracked a head at 189'000 miles, but was flawless up to that point.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 03, 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:11 AM

As far as the turbo oil line causing low pressure, you bet. The turbo turns real high Rpms. And needs a lot of oil to survive the Rpms and heat.

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:50 AM

I know nothing of the newer Vee Dubs.

My sister bought a new Passat round about 2002 and had it until about '08/'09.  Talked often about horrible fuel economy but said it'd run like a race car.  It was in the shop a couple of times for things that shouldn't have been needed, but nothing too major. 

UNTIL!!!!

She left the passenger side window down one time.  Actually for a couple of days as she lived in San Fransisco and took public transportation to work in Oakland most of the time to avoid traffic on the bridge.  She couldn't see the other side of the car from the house. She actually had offstreet parking which is rare. 

Well it rained.

A LOT

When she got in the passenger side floor was standing full of water.  Nothing major except the computor that controls EVERYTHING is mounted under the passenger side front seat.  She dipped the water out the best she could but to make a real effort to get it all would have made her late to where ever she was going so she started it and took off.

For a couple of blocks.  Smoke was rolling out from under the dash and around the hood when it died.  She called the fire dept. and said there were some cute firemen show up, so it wasn't all bad.

As I understand the water caused power surges so severe that it fried every wire, circut, motor, and sensor in the vehicle, weither that componet was turned "on" or not.  After a ride on the hook - the shop said wiring harness was toast and the bill would easily exceed $5500.  The insurance was up in the air about weither to total it or not and gave her the option.  She figured she'd come out better having it fixed because she'd get a free rental car while the insurance work was being done. 

It took three weeks to get repaired and one item [can't remember what] still didn't work quite right but the insurance company was really squaking about paying for the rental car for so long.  The repair also came in way over budget.  The guy at the shop,  a genuine VW dealer, told her there would definately be problems and she should be looking at trading vehicles.  She winked at him and said I already have a new one picked out.

In reality it should have been totalled.

Since it wasn't offically "totalled" there would be no disclaimer required at trade-in.

The day she got the Vee Dub out of the shop she drove directly to the closest Acura dealer where she already had her new car picked out.  Even got a premium on her trade in as it was such a low mileage car.

Wouldn't you like to purchase that pile of poo as a used car?  :wallbanging:

Edited by Gtractor, December 03, 2015 - 10:55 AM.

• toomanytoys84 and bbuckler have said thanks

#10 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 04:39 PM

Installed the new turbo return line gasket , re torqued everything to spec and new oil with some seafoam in it. No engine or oil light anymore. I asked my BIL where do I send the bill lol.

• Alc said thank you

#11 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 06:45 PM

VW = Junk, my kid has a 2003 Jetta, begged him not to buy it , but he wanted it , its now a lawn ornament cause its costing him too much to repair everytime he drives it !

• karl said thank you

#12 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,049 Thanks
  • 778 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 02:18 AM

My friend had an audi, made by vw. one night I was visiting him and we looked out the window and the car was glowing  from under the front end,When all of a sudden POOF! spontainious combustion! we looked at each other,And said What the &^%&%. it wasn't near anything so he let it burn. I never saw anything like that before! and I said WOW! I ain't buy'n one of them!

• Cvans and bbuckler have said thanks