9 replies to this topic

#1 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 12:38 AM

Well as some know I build custom cylinder heads at home. I usually have 6 diegrinders hooked up at once, so I have little down time between cutters and abrasives. Well two weeks ago my speed aire two stage 80 gallon compressor needed to be updated. This was a compressor I had built from a 3 hase unit to a single phase belt driven. And years of use took there toll on components I had made.

Well tonight I come home and wheel out a cambell hausfeld compressor little 25 gallon 220v. You know the kind meant to pump up tires and light work. Well I strung a line over to it and went to work. 2 hours later I heard a loud bang! I walk out to it and it is smoking like a champ. The reed valve broke amd made a heck of a noise. Now I have no air at home.

Lesson is use the right compressor for the job. I needed a set of heads done by monday. So now I got to find a replacement set of reed valves get it together and try to break it again. It got soo hot when I sprayed pb blaster on the head bolts it just went straight to smoke. If I get it running again it will not be long for this world.

Man I wish my speedaire was back together. Any ideas of local retailers tht migjt carry cambellhausfeld parts.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 04:32 AM

Man,sorry to of your problem. Hope you get it straightened out quickly.
  • RustyTub said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 05:29 AM

I don't know who would carry the parts you are going to need. I know Tractor Supply and Lowes both sell the Campbell air compressors.

Are you sure it wouldn't be more worthwhile getting the SpeedAire back up and running? I just went through getting an air compressor setup and earned a lot of ribbing for it because I managed to get it to span so many pages LOL.

I wish you the best of luck with it though. The one other place I just thought of is if you have any hydraulic shops near by, they usually deal with air compressors also and might be able to get the reed valve.

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 05:53 AM

These guys are in Texas but have just about anything you could need. Marcuse and sons, marcusecompressor.com or 1-800-929-3921. Good luck.

#5 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info, if I can't find any one local I will make the call to texas.

The problem with the speed aire is I am going from a 5hp mptor to a 10hp motor. This thing was originally a direct drive 15hp. Has served well for six years and I just wanted more power cause the small motor struggled when it would get up to 150psi. And I want to sand blast with it this summer. So I am having to remake a drive pulley coupler to be able to fit a multi belt pulley setup to get the power transfer.

I inspected the old hausfeld nd both bores were full of sludge and rusty no I want to get it running again just to see it break.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 04:28 PM

I'm sorry to hear about this trouble. I'd be lost without air! It's the most used tool in my shop...and from the sounds of it, I don't use mine half as much as you do! Best of luck with getting everything back together soon.

#7 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2175
  • 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thers a place 2 blocks from me called Compressed Air Services. They are a Campbell warranty center. I would be glad to help out if I could . I can ship faster than they can. Heres thier number (817) 441-5709

#8 hazard2k OFFLINE  

hazard2k

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4483
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the info... I would also be lost without air. I'm still saving up to get my 80 gallon 2 stage ordered up for my recently finished garage

#9 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 01:43 AM

warrenty????????

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 04:26 PM

warrenty????????

Usually if a service center is OK'd for warranty work on a product, the have much better parts availability than suppliers who don't. they also have direct access to service bulletins & other info that the company provides to it service network.