Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

*&^%_)(* Air hose and their memory ........

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 05:05 AM

I have been using the Flexilla hose. I have very little problems with it.

I too had some PVC air hose and I was so happy when it finally kinked and broke when it was cold....so I could throw it away!

41LaAc5AtVL._AA160_.jpg

#17 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 06:27 AM

We have the Flexzilla hose KC9KAS mention above on my shop truck at  work , it so soft & flexible it feels like it wouldn't take the pressure but it does . It's really nice to use with air tools because you don't even feel any resistance , kind of like an extension cord .   At home I have a cheap hand crank one with vinyl hose but it winds up pretty well even when cold . 

image_11927.jpg image_11927.jpg

#18 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 06:42 AM

Would laying them straight out flat on the ground help ?? They are a pain, sometimes. Noel

maybe but doubtful, they need to be pulling on their own weight to straighten out, just like how they were coiled for who knows how long on the store shelf to get that memory, they need to hang for a while to straighten themselves out.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#19 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 06:55 AM

After dealing with air hoses on a daily basis in all temps, from -5° to over 98°. I think there is no perfect hose. Its all in how they are stored and handled. When they are new, we stretch them overnight to get rid of the memory of the tight shipping coil.
  • Alc said thank you

#20 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,434 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 08:17 AM

I have had a length of quality rubber hose 30 years now,,, It was previously mounted on my big truck when hauling on winter roads and with temps to -50 never snapped a line...  The poly lines are very light..had one in shop that punctured right now when it accidentally got strung across a halogen work light...next puncture was from grinding slag,,,I bought it just to get the reel so IMO the hose was free as about the same quality of most things that are free

#21 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 08:40 AM

Best way I know to get rid of the memory is to roll it in the opposite direction, put two ty raps around it and carry it to the garbage can and deposit it, then go to NAPA and purchase a new one. I have one of those with memory and I use it to feed a thru the wall connection for the adjoining building and it is rolled up and never moved.

#22 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 09:27 AM

I do same with cords, one loop at a time loose and let rest roll. I don't do over the elbow thing, that makes one big twist when done. No twisted cords at my place!

I agree 100% gl.  Always start the looping from the same end too.  Nothing upsets me quicker than to have a "helper" wind up a cord around their elbow.  Buy 30 ft of bulk power cord at a hardware store and that is the way they wind it up.  When you get home and look at it reminds me of a crows nest.  Cheep cord when cold are just like a slinky.

• Alc said thank you

#23 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 09:28 AM

Got me a Cheap Campbell hausfeld 50 foot PVC hose that's about to get sent to the dump.Took it out side to put air in my little trailer tires and it got so hard I bet I could of stood it on end and hung a flag on it.

So tired of fighting with the stupid thing.It's on the back porch till it warms up a bit.Anyone want it?Come and get it.

attachicon.gif100_1570.JPG

Been there, done that.  Bet it starts to leak here, there and on down the hose ways in a month or so.

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 10:22 AM

I buy those little yellow pre coiled junk things.  They work decent and they coil themselves up pretty well.  Need more length?  Just couple a few of them together.

#25 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Too many, I truly admire your patience. I bought one yrs ago and it didn't take very long for it to get deep sixed in the trash!!

Mike

#26 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Too many, I truly admire your patience. I bought one yrs ago and it didn't take very long for it to get deep sixed in the trash!!

Mike

I have two compressors.

One 220V permanently mounted.  This one uses a spring assisted reel with a 100' of flexvilla hybrid polymer hose.  This is great a great set up, but a roll of that hose 100' roll of that was 111 bucks and it's not very portable.  And reading the links above I may of over paid for that hose quite a bit when I bought it through Grainger a few years ago!!

One 110V upright on wheels.  This is the one I use the little yellow spool up cheapys on.  Airing up tires, using the blow gun, quick uses of the small impact, ect.

Those little yellow hoses work great for a portable quick use set up.  Most of us are only using our compressors to air up tires and do little jobs 99% of the time.  The only reason I have the larger compressor setup is when we were working on a lot of tractors and cars I utilized a lot of air tools, and the biggest one was a sandblaster. 

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 03, 2015 - 03:40 PM.

• Alc said thank you