Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

*&^%_)(* Air hose and their memory ........

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Anyone know how to get rid of the memory out of air hoses? I've tried lots of things, rewinding it back wards, (ya I know) , winding it around a cylinder, winding it when it's warm or hot, nothing has worked so far. Can't afford a winder or hose reel so I want to try something different. Very frustrating to have to undo the knots every time I use them. Thanks for any suggestions.                     Roger

• propane1 said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 09:27 PM

A hose that retains memory always retains memory.  Goodyear real rubber hose is as good as you can get for the money.  Polyethylene hose is a pain.

• hamman, Bmerf and Oldford have said thanks

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Buy a better hose! I have worked with air tools all my life and there is no good way to fix an air hose. The green gator hose is the best I know of and are pretty spendy. Summer heat and sun helps with stubborn hoses but it is no fix just temporary reprieve.
  • hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 09:52 PM

Mine is about 50ft I think. Better hose or more rubber is less likely to do that. I usually use the hose, then stretch it all out and wind up in hand loosely when it is straightened out and let it roll each time you make a loop. The rolling keeps it from arcing and forming wrong loops. I then have big hook to lay the thing up on wall.  I don't always unroll whole thing, and leave unused on the hook, but still have to straighten it all out and let it spin as I wind it up and hang each loop. Leave the tools and blow guns off it, they interfere with the rolling action.  I do same with cords, one loop at a time loose and let rest roll. I don't do over the elbow thing, that makes one big twist when done. No twisted cords at my place!

• hamman, KennyP, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:05 PM

The only thing I can think of is to hang them but i don't have anything 50 ft tall to hang them from,  I guess you could flop them across the roof and the weight of the ends dangling would eventually pull them straight... but whether even that would be feasible kinda depends on how close the neighbors are to you.  (they may not like seeing that, dont know what they would think about "hillbilly-ish" decorations like that....

• hamman said thank you

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:23 PM

Would laying them straight out flat on the ground help ?? They are a pain, sometimes. Noel
  • hamman said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:30 PM

I have both rubber and vinyl hose on a hose reel.  They still will want to coil.  I just wind them up with the end loose and let them do their thing while I hold the hose with one hand and wind with the other.  Don't seem to make any difference if it is warm or freezing, they will coil.  I think it is due to when they are made.  The are wound around in a tight coil freshly made and stay that way for who knows how long before the customer buys it.  A heavy rope that wants to coil can be pulled down the road for 1/4 mile or so and then back will take the coil out of it.   Not sure I want to try that with an air hose though.  A HF hose would be a good candidate for that trick as it is going to leak in a week anyway.

• hamman said thank you

#8 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:32 PM

I got one of the 50' Harbor freight self retracting reels. Love it!

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Got me a Cheap Campbell hausfeld 50 foot PVC hose that's about to get sent to the dump.Took it out side to put air in my little trailer tires and it got so hard I bet I could of stood it on end and hung a flag on it.

So tired of fighting with the stupid thing.It's on the back porch till it warms up a bit.Anyone want it?Come and get it.

100_1570.JPG

• Alc, hamman, karl and 1 other said thanks

#10 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:45 PM

My air setup. CH 120v 20 Gallon, 25' retractable with another 25' coiled hose if I need to go further, and a 7 gallon portable tank for the really far needs. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140638.JPG

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 11:18 PM

I have two compressors and both have 50' rubber hoses on them. I have an extra 25' vinyl hose in case I need it. Well today I needed it for bowing out the lines on the 5th whee camper. Cold wet and rainy today so it was a real bugger winding them back up when I was done. Going to look into the 50' HF retracting reels I think for both. If all goes well I might have some hoses to give away. Thanks for the ideas.  By the way next year I will put a siphon tube on the pump of the camper to winterize the pipes instead of blowing it out. Thanks.                                                                                                                                                       Roger

#12 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 11:37 PM

buy a goodyear hose, its all we use in our shop and there great.

• Alc and EricFromPa have said thanks

#13 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 11:46 PM

Run the hard lines through the wall and use overhead drop hose on retractable bungies. We used to use this setup in our airframes shop, never had a hose problem there! 25 foot zila hoses are the best for memory, no retention but cost a ton. You get what you pay for and a bit of shop setup goes a long way towards less frustration later.

#14 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 982 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 11:51 PM

The plastic hoses are strictly sunshine patriots and summertime to boot. I have all rubber hoses and the 50' one is hung in loops 3' tall on a hook on the compressor. As already said when ready to wind up, pull it out straight w/ no tools attached and it will wind up fine. Unless you live where it's at least 70* yearround throw the plastic hoses away. In cool/ cold weather they just make more grey hairs or make more gray ones fall out.

Mike 

#15 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 12:39 AM

I've been looking for 1/4 nylon braided hose.I used to have a couple 50 footers when I was doing roofing.It was awesome for roofing air nailers and other low pressure tools.Really flexible and the smaller diameter made it safer to work with on a roof.

My dad had a rubber hoes that looks exactly like this.He had it since he was in high school.It got run over by the mower but it lasted a long time and it rolled up really easy.

It was the red Good Year hose to.I still have a hunk of it I use for siphoning.

Price isn't really that bad considering the quality. http://www.ebay.com/...0805007&vxp=mtr

• Oldford said thank you