32 replies to this topic

#16 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Ethanol less btu per gallon ruins carburetors, and fuel systems even in cars designed for it. Anyone have a new chain saw you can't get the cap out of.....ethanol
  • adamjd200 and Phluphy have said thanks

#17 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:39 PM

Ethanol less btu per gallon ruins carburetors, and fuel systems even in cars designed for it. Anyone have a new chain saw you can't get the cap out of.....ethanol

Spot on with that. Damn stuff swells the cap...doesn't take that long and one day it'll come out...with force...but will not screw back in.

Shop will appreciate the business when it's brought in to have the fuel line replaced.

Good idea to pick up a couple feet of fuel line along with the extra gas cap or two...well, unless ...

Edited by Phluphy, December 01, 2015 - 11:08 PM.

#18 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 11:58 PM

Why do we have to burn something in our gas that takes more BTU's to make it than you get from it?? I could get into some really politically incorrect territory here but I will refrain!!

Mike

• Bolens 1000, MH81 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#19 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,044 Thanks
  • 778 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 06:56 AM

Tell it like it is! or run for political office!

#20 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 08:09 AM

I'm going to tell you how I really feel......I HATE ETHANOL AT ANY PERCENTAGE IN MY GASOLINE! :thumbs:

All right now! What have you folks got against corn farmers, hummmmm? They have vacations to pay for too, yah know. :D

• KC9KAS said thank you

#21 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Top Ten Facts about Ethanol

1. Ethanol is listed as a known human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.

2. The cost of Reformulated Gasoline with ethanol will increase 3-6 cents per gallons compared to RFG with MTBE.

3. Spills of pure ethanol or gasoline containing ethanol from leaking storage tanks can create a benzene plume up to 150% larger than a spill from a non-ethanol fuel.

4. Ethanol cannot be shipped by pipeline because of its high affinity for water posing significant distribution costs and hurdles for gasoline blenders.

5. According to a study by Cornell University, for every gallon of ethanol produced, 1.4 gallons of energy is consumed in the process, compared to 0.15 gallons used in the manufacture of gasoline.

6. It takes 1.5 gallons of ethanol (E-85) to drive as many miles as one gallon of gasoline.

7. Every gallon of ethanol removes 53 cents from the Federal Highway Trust Fund because of a special tax break for producers.

8. Ethanol increases the vapor pressure of gasoline by 1 psi. resulting in higher evaporative emissions of Volatile Organic Compounds, while tailpipe emissions of Acetaldehyde increase 150%.

9. Ethanol permeates the hoses and lines of automobile fuel systems resulting in a 50% increase in VOC emissions for pre 1995 cars.

10. Ethanol dissolves oxide scale from the walls of pipes and tanks, subjecting the systems to internal corrosion, which leads to leaks.

• Cvans and MFDAC have said thanks

#22 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,316 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 10:22 AM

Let one sit with that #$%$ in it for a few years and see what happens.
I went to look at an old farm tractor last year to think about buying it. I popped the gas cap and looked inside. Everything was clean, no rust, half a tank of clear gas. I came back 2 weeks later to get it and the tank had flash rusted, the fuel turned to yogurt, fuel filter looked like it was packed with Vaseline and fuel lines were plugged solid. I beat the guy up on the price and pulled it home. Everything fuel related was ruined. Had to replace the tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter and the carb looked like it was full of rice and had the bowl pitted so bad it leaked, so I had to replace the carb too.

I have had to replace every fuel line on the 2 stroke stuff, even the ones built within the last few years, plastic fuel filters turn to mush and plug up, the paper and glue in the filters break down and get in the carb, rubber fuel lines on the 4 stroke stuff turns to goo when the ethanol touches it.

I have had more fuel related problems on small engines in the last 5 years than I had in the 30 before that combined

That junk cost me an extra $600 to repair a $2000 tractor

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#23 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 10:47 AM

Top Ten Facts about Ethanol

1. Ethanol is listed as a known human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.

2. The cost of Reformulated Gasoline with ethanol will increase 3-6 cents per gallons compared to RFG with MTBE

MTBE is also highly carcinogenic, and has caused a lot of problems with groundwater here in NJ.

#24 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 930 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 10:48 AM

The only positive thing I can say about ethanol is that I've gotten a lot of nice machines for nothing because of it. But, I'd be happy if it were gone. Very happy.

#25 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 03:29 PM

If the government says it's the right thing to do , then it must be-----they would not lie to us--would they :bigrofl: 

• Cvans, backwoods, adamjd200 and 1 other said thanks

#26 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 03:57 PM

All right now! What have you folks got against corn farmers, hummmmm? They have vacations to pay for too, yah know. :D

I have nothing against the farmers.

In fact a good farmer friend that farms 2000+ acres of corn & beans has said, "what little he gets out of the money for the sale of corn for ethanol, isn't worth the problems he has with his equipment (using ethanol fuel".

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 06:37 PM

The people I have heard of in Nebraska, plowed up all their marginal land as of a couple of years ago and put it all in corn. I assume nothing has changed.

#28 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Corn stoves were really taking off in this area and then the ethanol came along.

• backwoods said thank you

#29 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 08:42 AM

If you search the net there's a few websites that list all the gas stations in the country that sell ethanol free fuel, we have one here in town but 91 octane is the only one that's ethanol free so it doesn't do me much good. The next closest station has 89 but is an hour each way.

Edited by olds45512, December 03, 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#30 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:09 AM

Just drink the juice, and PRAISE ETHANOL!