Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How good are walk behinds at plowing snow?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 05:55 PM

I've got a snowblower, I just want to use my tractor more. I have a Murray plow blade here, but I don't have any fabrication skill.

well that unfortunate, as the blade is a real easy item to make for the older tractor. The one GTractor posted is one of the newer Midland units and its blade uses a lot more iron and part than the older ones. Probally wouldn't take more than a couple hr to make one.  

• Gtractor said thank you

#17 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Don't ever want to live where I need snow removal equipment

chicken, come on live a little.

#18 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 07:59 PM

I was always somewhat surprised how much the old wizard walker would push seeings how it only went around 200lb and less than 5 hp.  I had 2 link chains and 100 extra lbs of wheel weight.  The only downfall the wizard had was it had no reverse and it took a bit of planning ahead of time to figure out how not to be pointed downhill when needing to turn around or unable to do a 180 without tugging backwards very far.  I had made a plow for it out of 2x10s with a few pieces of steel to hold things together, was very crude but worked pretty well, the machine would work well up to 5 or 6" any deeper and it was difficult.  The Gravely walker is just a beast with a plow or blower, the Com 12 weighs almost 500lb and has reverse, burns a bit more gas with the 12hp Kohler compared to the old wizard but it will relocate more snow and I have both blade and blower so old man winter doesn't stand a chance.

• DougT, Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#19 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 05:04 PM

well that unfortunate, as the blade is a real easy item to make for the older tractor. The one GTractor posted is one of the newer Midland units and its blade uses a lot more iron and part than the older ones. Probally wouldn't take more than a couple hr to make one.

I'm guessing a Midland blade will fit a Simplicity?

#20 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,588 Thanks
  • 3,902 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 06:05 PM

Yes.  Either will work on the other. 

• Lauber1 and CraftsmanGT have said thanks

#21 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 06:53 PM

That's good to know. Maybe a Wards/Midland blade will be easier to find

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 07:19 PM

What's a walk behind? Sounds like something that requires toooooo much effort to use!

• Gtractor and backwoods have said thanks

#23 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 10:25 PM

I have used walk behinds exclusively since 1956 for snow removal.  My first was an early David Bradley, the early version that the cultivator hung from the handle bars with rods.  I had saved all my chore money and bought it from a neighbor lady who's husband had passed.  She would not sell it to me because I was a little boy.  I had to get my Dad to go with me to get it.  We dragged it home with a rope and my Dad got it running for me.  I used it one or two winters with the forty inch snow blade.  It had bald car tires with chains.  It would push good straight ahead, but tended to slide sideways with the plow angled.  The worst problem is that it had no reverse and with the David Bradley when you pulled it backwards, you had to turn all the gears in the transmission.  When it was cold below zero, sometimes the wheels would not turn as the friction in the transmission was more then the the friction on the snow.

My Dad found a David Bradley Big Five and we bought that.  It had more power, not that you needed it for snow removal.  But it still had no reverse.  I ordered a reverse kit from Sears and installed it.  That made a world of difference in operation.  You could push the reverse knob which would reverse the wheel ratchets and drive the tractor backwards, or just push the reverse rod enough to reverse the ratchets and you could now pull the tractor back without turning any of the gears.  This made operation quick and easy.

After about five or six other tractors, we found a 1936 Shaw Du-All D4T.  I did not know the year or the horsepower at the time (4HP), but this tractor had 3 speeds forward, reverse, and power turn brakes.  We built a snow plow four feet wide with a good curve to the moldboard that would angle left or right with five positions.  This baby would run circles around any David Bradley.  You could plow at a nice walk in second gear with the plow angled and it would not slide sideways.  You could use high gear but you really had to trot to keep up with the tractor.  The power turn made turning a full blade of snow easy.  I have never seen snow that I could not handle with this tractor and it is still used today.  The snow plow will go on this weekend.

The whole trick to plowing with a blade is to push the snow back far enough on the first storm so you will have room for the snow that falls in the following storms.  I also have used a Gravely with a snow plow and that is a very good tractor also.  The 4.00 X 8 diamond tread tires with chains seem to work the best.  It is too hard to steer with the dual wheels attached.  The instant forward/reverse clutch is the most valuable feature on the Gravely.  My second favorite to the Shaw.

My current driveway is about ninety feet long and twenty five feet wide.  I use a 5660 Gravely with a 34 inch blower for most of the snow now because I do not have room to pile it all.  The Gravely will throw it fifty to sixty feet which eliminates the big piles.  We had over five feet of snow last year on the ground between the last week of January and the end of February.  There were only about four days above 30 degrees so there was no melting.  That amount of snow is difficult to deal with if all you have is a blade and no room to push it.  A good walk behind will serve you well, and walking is good for you.

Cliff

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 07:40 AM

What's a walk behind? Sounds like something that requires toooooo much effort to use!

Just poking a little fun at you guys! I'm too old to be horsing one of these around!

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 07:46 AM

Just poking a little fun at you guys! I'm too old to be horsing one of these around!

And they probably weigh, what, 3 or 4 times more than your skinny little butt  :poke:  :poke: :poke:  :bigrofl:   :bigrofl:

• KennyP said thank you

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 07:56 AM

And they probably weigh, what, 3 or 4 times more than your skinny little butt  :poke:  :poke: :poke:  :bigrofl:   :bigrofl:

Yep! I'm much happier riding around.

• TAHOE said thank you

#27 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 09:37 AM

Yep! I'm much happier riding around.

I second that!!!! :thumbs:  :D

#28 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 12:03 PM

I grew up in Maine. Winters there in the 50's and 60's provided plenty of snow to move. Our driveway was probably around 800 feet long. We had a Simplicity walkbehind with reverse. Even so, clearing snow with that beast was a real struggle. (At that stage of my life, I only weighed 120 lbs., so it was easy to lose control of the machine.) If you angled the blade, it wanted to slip sideways if you were pushing any significant snow. And if you managed to stop the machine with pressure on the blade as you pushed the snow back away from the driveway, it was hard to get out of gear to get it into reverse.

I was never happier than when Dad bought a two-stage walkbehind snowblower!!

Edited by LPBolens, December 04, 2015 - 12:04 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#29 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 01:08 PM

1936 Shaw DuAll with snowplow.

Cliff

Attached Thumbnails

• D4T Snowplow 1.JPG
  • IMG_0831.JPG

• DougT and Tbrooks have said thanks

#30 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 03:43 PM

After our snow today, and neither one of my garden tractors would push this 6" to 8 " of wet ladened snow, never ever took them out. Can't see how a walk behind two wheel tractor with plow would do it. Just my opinion, Noel.