Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How good are walk behinds at plowing snow?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 187 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 03:14 PM

I've been looking for a front blade for my Simplicity Model D with no luck yet, but was wondering good do walk behind tractors do at snow plowing?

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 03:33 PM

They do just as good as a four wheeler.  Weight and chains are a must.  

You'll wear yourself out in just a few minutes if you don't have reverse. 

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 04:08 PM

I've used a model M for the last couple of years. It works really great and is a lot of fun although a bit time consuming with such a small blade. No reverse on mine and as stated above it will wear you out. Still easier than a shovel though. 

• Alc said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 04:40 PM

I use my DB 600 with a blade , it works pretty good . I don't have wheel weights yet but put some steel barbell ones low on the handlebars , it's nose heavy without it .

#5 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 05:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. The Model D doesn't have reverse but I do have chains for it. Now I just need to find a blade for it

#6 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 05:41 PM

All depends on how much snow you get.  Up our way we do not usually get any melts between NOW and end of March. The next time you get a 3' dump of snow you will realize why snow blowers are so popular.. Also if you get snow after snow after snow,,no melts..where to push it become a bigger problem..Fellow I know put blade on his big honking' quad and by end of January snow was piled so high on sides of driveway quad was useless..

• Alc, Lauber1 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 06:13 PM

you just have to keep in mind every machine has its limit. Having big engines and weight don't mean much if theres no where to push it to. Being in WI I would have at least one back up plan when this fails.

Blades are kind of hard to find for the Simp tractors, most times people left them on the ground to long and it takes a toll on the edge and the feet. You could probably make one as they are a pretty simple built item.  I have one here but its not for sale.

• Alc said thank you

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 06:26 PM

What Jazz said, and ok for small amounts of snow. No good here in pei. Noel

#9 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 07:00 PM

you just have to keep in mind every machine has its limit. Having big engines and weight don't mean much if theres no where to push it to. Being in WI I would have at least one back up plan when this fails.

Blades are kind of hard to find for the Simp tractors, most times people left them on the ground to long and it takes a toll on the edge and the feet. You could probably make one as they are a pretty simple built item.  I have one here but its not for sale.

I've got a snowblower, I just want to use my tractor more. I have a Murray plow blade here, but I don't have any fabrication skill.
  • Lauber1 said thank you

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 09:01 PM

Understood, I like using things, it's fun. Any friends that could fix it up for you, and get to have fun doing it. Noel

#11 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:01 PM

The fellow who sets up next to me at Rough & Tumble has a real nice Simplicity with a snowblower.  Looks like it could really do the job!

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:42 PM

I used this Chor Trac for several years at my mothers place in town. Just left it in her garage all winter so I didn't have to haul it back and forth.  It worked super well.  Never needed chains.   No worry about snow mound buildup over the entire season here in Misery [Missouri].  This one has a reverse - although its just a primitive one working off the back side of a V-belt - it works well. 

Quit using it when I was given an Allis Chalmers walk behind snow blower.  Figured the blower would be better but it didn't take long to realize the blower absolutely kills my back.   I'd go back to using this one but the primer bulb dried out and crumbled and this one doesn't have a choke.

Chor Trac.jpg

Her drive is short -two cars long and only the width of two cars but that narrow blade takes a lot of passes! 

Edited by Gtractor, December 01, 2015 - 10:43 PM.

• Alc, Lauber1 and Jazz have said thanks

#13 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 01:05 AM

I have been using my Gravely C8 or L with a 48"W X 18"H blade for several years with very good results.  I am in the Adirondacks of upstate NY and get plenty of snow.  I have run various tire/chain combinations and I like dual turfs with 2-link chains the best.  The key is to push the snow as far away as possible from where you need to keep clear beginning with the first snow of the season.  By the end of the season you will have large snow piles and won't be pushing it as far.  You will get a workout plowing with a walk behind.  You might get away with no reverse if the ground is flat but you will probably find yourself on your rear end more than once from slipping pulling the tractor backwards.  Watch that tailbone, it happens fast.

• Alc said thank you

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 09:10 AM

My walk behind works pretty well and if I get ice, I drop the tines and let it chop it up. Granted I have gravel so no damage to tines and I don't get ice very often.

I also have a Gravely L with a blade, my dad used to push snow with it at the bank he worked at to clean the sidewalks, he used it for years. Someday I will get it running.

troybilt snow blade.jpg

• Gtractor said thank you

#15 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 12:33 PM

Don't ever want to live where I need snow removal equipment

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks