• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 825 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 12:41 PM

I was given the disc harrow in the picture.  It's got 11" discs on 3/4" round holes.  The right front disc is broken away except for its center.  The only 11" discs I've been able to find are from Brinly replacement parts and they don't specify the center hole.  There is enough room under the chassis for 12" discs and they can be had for not painful money.

The primary use of the disc will be to rip up sod.  My lawn is 35-60 years old and I'd like to level it out some.  The disc as is did an adequate job on the part I did this fall, but I would be happier if it cut deeper and chopped more.

I've read that notched discs do a better job on sod.  I'm toying with replacing the full set with notched 12" discs.

Any thoughts on whether that is advisable?  Should I go solid on the rear gang or notched there too?

Attached Thumbnails

• disc.jpg

Edited by MiCarl, December 01, 2015 - 12:45 PM.

• Cvans, Dieselcubmike, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 12:45 PM

Why not have a neighbor, or even rent a larger tractor and disc to tear your yard up first.  Then go over it with what you have and I bet it will work just fine.  Make sure your disc blades are sharp so they will cut.  If they are not sharp it don't matter what kind of blade they are.

Picture didn't come through at first.  The angle of the wings needs to be increased considerable.  All the blades are doing this way is rolling.  Increasing the angle will make them cut more and roll the ground you working back and forth resulting in a better worked area.

Edited by chieffan, December 01, 2015 - 01:49 PM.

• grnspot110, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 02:05 PM

I agree with Chieffan, it would work better with more angle.
I have a 6 1/2 ft king cutter with the notched discs on the front.
In October, I disced my potato patch that I had planted buckwheat on.
It needs more weight, but did ok. I should have plowed it first.
I ran the tiller after the disc.
Weight is your friend and a bigger tractor with a lot more weight on the disc would help.
Instead of going with the notched discs, I would recommend a scarifier to rip the roots, then use the disc you have.

BTW, wish I had that anvil in my shop.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 01, 2015 - 02:06 PM.

• propane1, chieffan and MiCarl have said thanks

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 825 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 04:02 PM

I live in the suburbs - borrowing bigger from a neighbor isn't an option.  In sheer size (not necessarily horsepower) I've got the biggest tractor in the neighborhood.

I'm not really interested in renting either.  I'd like to do it a bit at a time when I can.

When the picture was taken I think I had the maximum angle on the front discs, but the rear were pretty straight.  The bolts were all buggered up and didn't hold well.  I've since replaced the hardware and got both gangs at the maximum angle.

I've got a middle buster that does a nice job on the roots.  Mostly I'd like to pulverize the sod better.

That anvil was here when we bought the house in 1998.  It's so heavy I built my shed around it rather than move it.  The only time it's been touched was a couple months ago to weight the disc - it was all I could do to get it up there.

Edited by MiCarl, December 01, 2015 - 04:18 PM.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 04:48 PM

Have you tried running a tiller through it after discing a couple times?  A triller should really tear it up  but you might have to clean the grass off frequently.

#6 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Use notched in the front, smooth in the rear.
Notched cut things up. Then the smooth will level the ground.
You can shorten the top link to dig deeper with the front edge.

That anvil is worth some money. Maybe $300 or more.
Sell it and get some scrap metal instead!

Joe
  • MiCarl said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 05:40 PM

That anvil looks alot like mine, except yours looks better. Mine weighs over 200 pounds. Around here it would bring over $400. Why not try to weld up the broken disc. I was given a 6' disc set for my Ford 2000. It needs 4 discs welded up but my friend wanted an 8' so he dropped it at my house when the dealer didn't want a trade-in.

IF you can fix it for the cost of a welder, the tool will pay for itself in the first use. Good Luck, Rick 

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 825 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 06:35 PM

Use notched in the front, smooth in the rear.
Notched cut things up. Then the smooth will level the ground.
You can shorten the top link to dig deeper with the front edge.

That anvil is worth some money. Maybe $300 or more.
Sell it and get some scrap metal instead!

Joe

Thanks!  That's what I wanted to know about the discs.  I did shorten the top link for my initial bust-up.

Let me tell you why I won't part with the anvil:

We had some construction done on the house this summer.  I got after my wife to get rid of some of her treasures from the attic so the contractors could work.  While we were up there I stumbled across two old computer power supplies I'd saved for years.  I decided I could set a good example and discarded them.  The next week the power supply on the wife's computer went belly up and I had to buy one.

5 minutes after that anvil was gone I'd suddenly need one desperately!

That anvil looks alot like mine, except yours looks better. Mine weighs over 200 pounds. Around here it would bring over $400. Why not try to weld up the broken disc. I was given a 6' disc set for my Ford 2000. It needs 4 discs welded up but my friend wanted an 8' so he dropped it at my house when the dealer didn't want a trade-in.

IF you can fix it for the cost of a welder, the tool will pay for itself in the first use. Good Luck, Rick 

Most of the broken disc was missing when I got the harrow.  I've only got a little shard on the axle.

• boyscout862, Rock farmer and chieffan have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 07:31 PM

A couple weeks ago my son was saying he would like to try some blacksmithing. I was telling him I too would like to, but a good anvil would run '$50 a lb or better around here. The antiques are better but it is cheaper tp buy new.
  • chieffan said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 09:14 PM

If you have a middlebuster your good to go. I bought one for my 1500 Ford, and never saw a need to buy a moldboard plow.
In some parts of the country they call it a lister plow, and I have seen them 25-30 ft wide in the Texas panhandle on peanut farms.

#11 joel christensen OFFLINE  

joel christensen

• Member No: 5954
  • 37 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 05:52 PM

I replaced the front blades on my Brinly disc with 12" notched blades.  Let me tell you, It is a completely different machine now.  It actually works and digs in now like it should.

#12 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 08:17 PM

Personally I would run the middle buster then run the disk to level/chew thing more and add some weight

Edited by Greasy6020, December 10, 2015 - 08:17 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: disc