• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 12:13 PM

My 4041 Pow'rMax has a clutch. But it's not a Bolens.

#17 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 490 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 03:44 PM

Could probably be done but would take a lot fabrication.  The drive shaft is direct from engine to hydro and ol;ly about 18" long.  All fits kid of tight where it goes through.  No room at the engine or the hydro so would have to go in between some place.

The diesel Cub Cadet super tractors had one that went in the middle of the drive shaft and worked kind of like the compression release in the Kohlers.  I think they were about 8 or so inches across and had a 1/2" or 5/8" drive shaft.  Here's the parts breakdown on it.             Stewart

20151202_144835.jpeg

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Something like that would be great.  Bolens have a large tube type drive shaft but could still be done.  I went out this afternoon and pulled that 6 hp
Briggs out and set it on the bench.  2 pulls and it was running so it is not the engine.  Let it run a while to warm up good, then put it back in the tractor.  All I could get 3 or 4 pops.  I know I am not near as strong as I used to be and with bad shoulder I can't do near as much but gosh, this is ridiculous.  Those hydro's must really put a drag on the engines when they are cold.  Was 39° so wasn't all that cold this afternoon. 

#19 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 06:49 PM

That is an eaton 12? I don't know those. Is there a freewheel pin/switch? If not, are the wheels off the ground? Does the hydro share fluid with the final drive? Nice thin ATF-type fluid in there?

Paul

#20 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 12:05 AM

That is an Eaton 12 in a 1476 provided nobody ever changed it to something else. If it is the correct hydro, there is a neutral position in the middle on the selector that allows the hydro to spin easier.