19 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,366 Thanks
  • 4,606 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 12:40 PM

We all cannot afford to have a heated building to keep our tractors in during the winter to be sure they will start.  A lot more are in unheated building or even outside.  The gear driven are not so bad as you can release the clutch when you start it so it is just the motor turning over.  Hydro's are a different story.  Have to turn that hydro over as well as the cold transaxle and that puts a heck of a load on the starter motor and the battery.  For a hundred bucks they could have added a clutch at the engine, manually operated to disengage during cold weather.  When the battery dies and you have to pull start it - yea right at 10°.  Won't happen very easy. 

• Gtractor, MH81, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 512 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 12:49 PM

Would it be possible to add a clutch setup from a gear drive to the hydro's?  I know Cub Cadet offered that option on there hydro tractors starting with the wide frame series in the 70's and continued it into the 90's on the diesel super tractors.         Stewart

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,937 Thanks
  • 17,306 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 12:54 PM

They did have a system for starting in cold weather on the tubeframes...

http://gardentractor...out-for-hydros/

• Gtractor, MH81, diesel nut and 1 other said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,366 Thanks
  • 4,606 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 01:58 PM

I had an H16 with bad hydro that had that feature.  Real handy to have for a lot of other maintenance things also.  All the other hydro's are shaft drive with a direct hook up.  Trying to check out a hydro in a 1476 with a 6 hp Briggs, recoil start.  Engine always started easy and runs good but can't spin it fast enough hooked up to get more than 3 or 4 pops out of it.  Close but not quite.

• Gtractor said thank you

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 7,021 Thanks
  • 4,076 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 03:05 PM

Drain all that cold fluid out of the hydro. Then there's nothing to pump and/or drag. 

:poke:   :bigrofl:  

• MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,366 Thanks
  • 4,606 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 04:51 PM

Gee thanks Kris.  Your a walking encyclopedia.  Don't you have some work to do before your wife gets home ? ? ?

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,669 Thanks
  • 6,749 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 04:52 PM

I feel for you , my PK sits outside for the winter and even though its gear drive the hydraulic pump really puts a drag when starting . Then all the controls are sloooow until the oil warms up . Do you have to use a jump start box when its that cold ?
  • chieffan said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,813 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 05:00 PM

Problem solved here, the Wife's car parks outside in cold, while all your plowing tractors are ready and waiting inside the garage. What's the problem?  OR, my new truck sets outside while the junkers are filling the garage as Noted by my Wife. BUT, that one is still cold. Once in awhile have to jump start with battery pack, but most are good to go. OR, hand out shovels to any able body when it snows!  Least liked of all!

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,896 Thanks
  • 4,358 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 05:22 PM

My automatic Wheel Horses can be started with out the belt turning the hydro......

• MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,125 Thanks
  • 9,109 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Ever tried a magnetic heater on it?

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,366 Thanks
  • 4,606 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 06:53 PM

I feel for you , my PK sits outside for the winter and even though its gear drive the hydraulic pump really puts a drag when starting . Then all the controls are sloooow until the oil warms up . Do you have to use a jump start box when its that cold ?

My G12 with 14 hp Tech and the H16XL both are backed in the garage right at the overhead door.  If I need them I direct the forced air Kerosene heater at the back end and let it run while I do chores.  In 1/2 to3/4 hour they are warmed up enough to work fairly good.  I let them run for 5 min or so after starting to warm the engine up good so it will run better under load. Had two gear drive last year so this is my first winter with a hydro  .I buy batteries by CCA power, not the physical size.  Jut make sure it will fit in the space allowed.

Edited by chieffan, December 02, 2015 - 11:04 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#12 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,366 Thanks
  • 4,606 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 06:56 PM

Ever tried a magnetic heater on it?

Use two on my big tractor.  On on the oil pan and one on the hydraulic reservoir.  Pug them in the night before as they are slow heating.  Have another I keep under the parts washer.  It don't freeze but sure gets darn cold.

• Alc said thank you

#13 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 603 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 11:04 PM

I use car/truck batteries in my GT's. My winter fluids are 5w30 in the engine and ATF in the hydro. My tractors are kept in an unheated garage. They start right up in the sub zero temperatures that are the norm for northern Michigan.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#14 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,366 Thanks
  • 4,606 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 11:10 AM

Would it be possible to add a clutch setup from a gear drive to the hydro's?  I know Cub Cadet offered that option on there hydro tractors starting with the wide frame series in the 70's and continued it into the 90's on the diesel super tractors.         Stewart

Could probably be done but would take a lot fabrication.  The drive shaft is direct from engine to hydro and ol;ly about 18" long.  All fits kid of tight where it goes through.  No room at the engine or the hydro so would have to go in between some place.

#15 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,366 Thanks
  • 4,606 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 11:18 AM

Trying to check out a hydro on the 1476 to make sure it is good before I spend any more on it.  Have a 6hp Briggs mounted in and hooked up.  The Briggs was always a good running easy starting engine but that was with no load at all.  Now I can't get more than 4 or 5 pops out of it.  Had a heat lamp on the hydro all night and a magnetic heater blocked against the side of the Briggs.  Pulled easier this morning but don't think the Briggs has enough power to turn that hydro under these conditions.  Be a pain but could pull the Briggs out, get it started and warmed up good and reinstall it.  Hoping it don't cool down enough to be back where I started.  After all this I find that Hydro is bad I will not be a happy camper to say the least.  After all the trouble I had with the engine in it, the tractor will go the same route if that hydro is bad.

Edited by chieffan, December 02, 2015 - 11:19 AM.