11 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 08:37 AM

In the last 3 weeks I have shot 6 Opossum in our front yard under the bird feeders at night.  All between just dark and 9:30 pm. Security light and their white face is all I need to find them in the scope - as long as they stay in the security light area.  Stupid things will just keep eating not 10' from the door while I step out and fire.  Have had a problem with them under one building.  Got that stopped.  In the past they have been in the hay in the animal barn and ate the cat and dog food.  Have trapped them, shot them, got them with a claw hammer and even a pitch fork.  Haven't noticed any in the barn yet this winter.  Seeing a lot along the roads that vehicles have hit too.  

• Alc, hamman, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 09:02 AM

I have found, if I have large vermin like that in my barn, I use powered lime in the holes, burrows, access holes, etc. The lime will burn their noses and they won't come back. It was the only thing I found that stopped the skunks from burrowing under my front porch one year.

• ckjakline, Traill95, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 11:34 AM

Don't get too close to opossums, bats, nor raccoons.  They are the carriers of rabies around here. Shoot them at a distance  and be carefull of their fluids. If you put them in the garbage, you really should triple bag them. Be carefull. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,513 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 12:08 PM

Do not feed horses any hay that Opossums have been in. If they leave feces in the hay it could kill the horses. Nasty slow death.

http://horses.about....p/epmhoirse.htm

• MH81, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 12:32 PM

If they come in the open door to the building it would be hard to stop them from going further.  Don't have horses and the Pygmy goats are picky enough they won't have a problem.  What happened back when all the farming was done with horses and feed loose hay?  Had all kind of animals in the hay then and never heard of a horse dying fro the hay.  Horses are just as smart as goats are and won't eat any hay that they don't like the smell off.

• Cvans said thank you

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,513 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 12:37 PM

Are you sure there were possums in your area years ago. They didn't show up here until the 80's. I would not have known about this if I had not had a visit with the local animal control officer. It was horse owners who opened his eyes to this. And it could be that the disease itself didn't surface until recently. I don't know the history of it.  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 12:58 PM

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree

With ’possums clinging to each limb
Like tiny, pink-tailed cherubim.

A ’possum thinks of God all day,
And lifts her gaze as though to pray;

A ’possum may in Summer scare
A nest of robins from her lair;

And winter’s snow she does disdain,
Although she will acquaint with rain.

Poems are made by fools like us’em,
But only God can make a ’possum.

opossum.gif

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 01, 2015 - 01:01 PM.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 05:05 PM

No big stuff here, but just caught the yearly Mouse in drawer in kitchen. Every late fall, early winter one moves in and eats the bread in drawer. Wife goes crazy, I like to tease her with it, heh! The cats at most times couldn't care less, but dog always wanted to bight the thing when showing the catch.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Are you sure there were possums in your area years ago. They didn't show up here until the 80's. I would not have known about this if I had not had a visit with the local animal control officer. It was horse owners who opened his eyes to this. And it could be that the disease itself didn't surface until recently. I don't know the history of it.  

I remember my folks talking about Opossum and Skunks getting in the granary and other farm buildings.  Opossum can climb anything that is wood so getting in the hay mow would be no problem.  Also remember Mom talking about finding a big bull snake in the chicken house when she went to gather eggs.  Dad went and caught it and it had several "bumps" in it from eating eggs.  Ah, those were the days.

Edited by chieffan, December 01, 2015 - 06:23 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#10 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 989 Thanks
  • 673 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 07:00 PM

I have found that if the food is available something will eat it, critters are awesome at getting into things!

#11 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 08:02 PM

I have found, if I have large vermin like that in my barn, I use powered lime in the holes, burrows, access holes, etc. The lime will burn their noses and they won't come back. It was the only thing I found that stopped the skunks from burrowing under my front porch one year.

I also heard the lime test works well.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 10:14 AM

.  Horses are just as smart as goats are and won't eat any hay that they don't like the smell off.

I can't even get my goats to eat a brand new bag of sweet feed.... :wallbanging:

"goats will eat anything", yea whatever!!!  

I also heard the lime test works well.

I got some of it in my nose the first time I used it, my nose burnt for an hour!

• Cvans said thank you