• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#31 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 07:19 PM

ummmmm find the model number type and code from your engine i notice it dont have points which means engine is 82 or newer

#32 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • Member No: 70125
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Hey Guys

Been reading about the SS15 engine swap, all seems well, but sure do hate to see you cut an aluminum grill, no a lot of them around still good, i put a 20Hp onan in place of my 15 briggs, hood got a bit low and grill was too close so looked at the GT18 lower grill mount, copied it with 3 6" peices of 1/8" by 1 1/2" flat, moved the grill up 1 1/2" and bottom mount forward 1 1/2" give the grill a bit of staight up look, the oil drain would go right under the aluminum grill with no cut, also helps with muffler clearence. I think a vent hole in the fill tube was mentioned, on my roper with the 13HP briggs the pulse pump connected there,it had the tank under the seat.

Have A Good One

Jimmy

#33 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • Member No: 78175
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 08:11 PM

for the most part every thing looks the same on the print , the tractor has a decal from a Briggs and Stratton dealer , who I would bet did the motor swop ,

the engine is model 326431, type 2520-01 . code 8900514 , 16hp , I had no idea what year the engine was , so you think it is an 82' ,

not a vintage matching serial number tractor ,  but I can live with it 

I really like the site , I got more info in a few days then I got in the time I have had the tractor 

#34 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 08:31 PM

for the most part every thing looks the same on the print , the tractor has a decal from a Briggs and Stratton dealer , who I would bet did the motor swop ,

the engine is model 326431, type 2520-01 . code 8900514 , 16hp , I had no idea what year the engine was , so you think it is an 82' ,

not a vintage matching serial number tractor ,  but I can live with it 

I really like the site , I got more info in a few days then I got in the time I have had the tractor 

code says 89 lol wow i didnt know they made cast irons still in 1989

#35 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 05:19 AM

One thing I find hard is I have to bend over backwards to reach the 3 point hitch raise lever ,  I thought about heating up the rod and bending it forward some , but I don't really like that idea ---------- I thought about splitting a piece of pipe in hallf that will saddle fit over the handle (rod) and clamp that with u-bolts , weld and extension( about 3 inches )  to that and a new handle to the other end , you could loosen the u-bolts and slide it right off .  Or maybe a piece of pipe that would slide over the handle and build from that ------------- Any ideas on a 3 point hitch raise  lever extension ???????  -----I have seen a couple of videos of people who have made electric actuator 3 point hitch lifts , whats the pros and cons on that ???????? 

#36 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 08:38 AM

they made a extension handle if you do some digging. i have the stuff to make a couple if i get the time this spring. but yesafter a while you get used to where 3 point is. wait til you find a tiller. i got the big 39 inch 3 point tiller lol watch this video 

#37 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 09:48 AM

Thank you so much Craftsman' , I am going to give my guy at the starter shop a call and see if that does anything for him , I am hoping he can build me one ---------the bike in the back round is a classic and I think very rare , we are heavy into ATV's and machines that run in the dirt , I like to fish but my real hobby is  wet dirt , it is a 1973 1/2 Honda Xl250 with a 250 MotorSport engine , last year and they tuned them down  , with an ATV wheel kit on it which I believe was made by Missile Engineering  , it sat in a barn till 3 years ago from 1975 

That is pretty sweet! I remember those big wheel ones that Honda produced about the same time as the Trikes, always wanted one.

Here is the factory Sears 3pt handle extension.

I have also seen guys just bolt a long straight handle to the 3pt handle for extra leverage like in my kindergarten style  painted pic below :D

3 pt ext 1.jpg

3pt ext.jpg

3 pt ext 2.jpg

3 pt ext 2 long handle.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, December 02, 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#38 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 06:49 PM

Nice video , makes me want to go dig something up  , " I was singing along " What they call work , digging in the dirt , to get the crop in the ground , before the rain come down " , that's good song , you know it ------ Boys 'round here ", Blake Shelton 

I talked to the starter guy and it sounds reasonable , $160 total for a new Starter /generator , regulator and he will supply the pulley as I gave him your link to the 15 on ebay and he seen the pulley and says he has one that will work ---also got the wiring diagram from your link , that was sweet , couldn't print from that so I took a pic of the screen with my phone and sent it to my computer and printed it , thats is going to come in handy , Thanks again , you made it so easy 

the front tires on the tractor pulling the plow , what size and brand are they ? I like them 

That's almost exactly what I was imagining on the extension , thanks for the pics , going to get on making one of them 

The bike you might be thing about was the Honda Fat Cat , 200cc , they only made them like 2 years 1986 and 87 , I always wanted one too , I had planned on doing the Honda 250ES or R 3 wheeler into 2 wheeler conversion when this bike found me , Yamaha also had one and still has a version of it today , the story I got from the old man that had it , his son bought the stock bike mid 73 and in 75 he sent it to California and had the kit put on at a shop , I think these kits were way before the Fat Cat , the front wheel bearings were welded into the custom rim and when they went out he parked it , I did a lot of custom work to the front rim , and the bearings are much heavier and replaceable , relocated and hosed the valve stem , got the speedometer working , the bike is street legal but not highway with those tires ,  it has been a fun project and fun to ride  , it's broke down right now ,  I need to split the case and replace the main shaft as I stripped out the  spline where the sprocket rides ,  I got the shaft , all parts and gaskets , just got to find the time 

Another project I am doing right now is pretty cool , a Ezgo WorkHorseST350 cart , with 14 1/2 inches of lift , disc brakes , a Honda Fourtrax shaft driven engine /drive train with 27 inch ITP Black Water tires , it's about 60 ++ % complete , want to see a pic 

• TAHOE said thank you

#39 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Nice video , makes me want to go dig something up  , " I was singing along " What they call work , digging in the dirt , to get the crop in the ground , before the rain come down " , that's good song , you know it ------ Boys 'round here ", Blake Shelton 

I talked to the starter guy and it sounds reasonable , $160 total for a new Starter /generator , regulator and he will supply the pulley as I gave him your link to the 15 on ebay and he seen the pulley and says he has one that will work ---also got the wiring diagram from your link , that was sweet , couldn't print from that so I took a pic of the screen with my phone and sent it to my computer and printed it , thats is going to come in handy , Thanks again , you made it so easy 

the front tires on the tractor pulling the plow , what size and brand are they ? I like them 

That's almost exactly what I was imagining on the extension , thanks for the pics , going to get on making one of them 

The bike you might be thing about was the Honda Fat Cat , 200cc , they only made them like 2 years 1986 and 87 , I always wanted one too , I had planned on doing the Honda 250ES or R 3 wheeler into 2 wheeler conversion when this bike found me , Yamaha also had one and still has a version of it today , the story I got from the old man that had it , his son bought the stock bike mid 73 and in 75 he sent it to California and had the kit put on at a shop , I think these kits were way before the Fat Cat , the front wheel bearings were welded into the custom rim and when they went out he parked it , I did a lot of custom work to the front rim , and the bearings are much heavier and replaceable , relocated and hosed the valve stem , got the speedometer working , the bike is street legal but not highway with those tires ,  it has been a fun project and fun to ride  , it's broke down right now ,  I need to split the case and replace the main shaft as I stripped out the  spline where the sprocket rides ,  I got the shaft , all parts and gaskets , just got to find the time 

Another project I am doing right now is pretty cool , a Ezgo WorkHorseST350 cart , with 14 1/2 inches of lift , disc brakes , a Honda Fourtrax shaft driven engine /drive train with 27 inch ITP Black Water tires , it's about 60 ++ % complete , want to see a pic 

those are 4.80-8 carlisle super tracs they were from a sears tiller and they even says sears on them instead of carlisle. but i know who made them for sears lol. thats my dads tractor its about 140 lbs lights than the suburbans lol mine was one pulling the tiller

#40 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 06:32 PM

The starter /generator , regulator and pulley , has been at the shop for about a week now , hope to pick it up this week , finished the mounting bracket modification today , used a 15 hp bracket on the 16 hp engine , had to cut out a place for the hump that a 16 has and  a 15 don't so it fit flush against the block , then reenforce  what was left of the bracket by welding  it up with some gussets  , all I need is the belt   

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1862.jpg
  • IMG_1859.jpg

• craftsmanmowerfreak said thank you

#41 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 07:36 PM

one more step closer to electric start , hoping to pick up the starter/generator tomorrow as I plan on being within 2 miles from the starter guy , when they are 55 miles away from home , I try to make every mile count 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1869.jpg

• craftsmanmowerfreak said thank you

#42 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:20 PM

Got the modified 15hp starter mounting bracket bolted to the 16 hp engine and the starter /generator , regulator and belt  mounted ------

the regulator has an extra terminal on the bottom side of it ?????? ----I need another solenoid for the starter and a battery , does any one have any part numbers and battery Group size to go with , they was one bolt on style positive terminal on a cable , but think it could have been bolt and lug style battery to start with ??????  the Auto Parts couldn't match the solenoid or the battery  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1885.jpg
  • IMG_1881.jpg
  • IMG_1883.jpg
  • IMG_1884.jpg

#43 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:30 PM

Got the modified 15hp starter mounting bracket bolted to the 16 hp engine and the starter /generator , regulator and belt  mounted ------

the regulator has an extra terminal on the bottom side of it ?????? ----I need another solenoid for the starter and a battery , does any one have any part numbers and battery Group size to go with , they was one bolt on style positive terminal on a cable , but think it could have been bolt and lug style battery to start with ??????  the Auto Parts couldn't match the solenoid or the battery  

ok match the letters to the old one run wires to the terminals extra terminal is for lights lol brown wire if i remember goes to terminal underneath if you reread earlier post you would of seen this :)

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak, December 17, 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#44 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:36 PM

also 4 terminal regulater are used one sears 71 and older i perfer the 4 terminal ones anyway the lights dont turn on without key on using older regulater means if a kid is around and flip lights on you wont have a dead battery lol

#45 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 07:18 PM

This one is wired a little different for the lights then you describe , it all looks stock and matches the wiring diagram that I have for my model number except there is no 4th wire , the new regulator has a terminal marked "L" and from that terminal the wire goes to one side of the amp meter where another wire branches off to the light switch -------- I think what I sure do is screw a lead to the underside terminal before I tighten up the regulator mounting bolts so i can get to it easy later ------ any ideas on the battery group that is suppose to be in there never had one to start with ????