• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • Member No: 78175
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:07 AM

hello to all , new to your forum , I have a Sears SS15 tractor that I got from a friend with 3 attachments for the 3 point hitch and the belly mower for $300 , it didn't run , tank was rusted out , had a friend make me a stainless tank , got an after market carb , and got it running , it has the 16 HP Briggs in it , instead of the 15 it had in it originally , and some one removed the starter/generator from it and pull start only now , so I got the 15 HP starter /generator bracket off ebay as I never could find the 16 hp bracket , and did some modifing to it and it will fit the block now , there was a hump on the side the block of the 16 which did not allow the bracket to go flush against the block , so now I need a stater with pulley , the belt and a new regulator as the one in there may work but  is extremely rusted up and I want to rewire it all fresh , anyone have a Delco part number 

here is a pic of the harrow rack I just built to grade the rock drive way , it does a good job IMG_1785.jpg IMG_1786.jpg

• MH81, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:21 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice looking tractor. Like the implement!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:46 AM

Welcome to the forum.  You will find a lot of problem solvers hanging around here from time to time.  Are you wanting a Delco 12V Starter/Generator for your tractor?  Facing the pulley, which way does it have to turn?  Private message me and will see if I can help you out with one.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:55 AM

welcome to GTT. That attachment looks like a catchbasin grate. Enjoy our site. Good Luck, Rick

#5 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 09:24 AM

ok time to clear up some stuff. 1 your tractor is a regular suburban 15. its got short footrest skinny front tire. 2 the pulley on engine is correct. ok and 3 watch this video of my ss15 (before paint and conversion yes mine was also a regular suburban) hope this helps you out. also s/g belt is 3/8 by 36. best to use the cogged type belt i got number for belt from autozone in shed

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak, November 30, 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#6 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 10:07 AM

i also had regulator part number somewhere i may have to go through moms ebay to find it. now on the 72s they use a 3 tab regulator where has 71 and on back used a 4 tab. 4 tab one can be used and instead of lights coming off amp meter they would come off regulator. which i like better in first place s/gs can be bought off ebay too but id have to do look up on part number its also a delco part usually new rebuilt ones off ebay run 70 or more

#7 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 01:22 PM

:welcometogttalk: Nice tractor! bet it is hard to pull start!

#8 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 01:23 PM

:welcometogttalk: Nice tractor! bet it is hard to pull start!

these briggs usually are not hard to start unless u use stock setup for pulling then yes lol

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#9 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 01:24 PM

these briggs usually are not hard to start unless u use stock setup for pulling then yes lol

if set right they should start righ away. My little 627 yeoman has a rebuilt motor and it will start with one pull usually.

#10 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 01:28 PM

if set right they should start righ away. My little 627 yeoman has a rebuilt motor and it will start with one pull usually.

usully when i get these old sears in wireing is a mess so i got a rope cup in a drawer from a old model 19 or somehing that i just bolt to flywheel lol gets them spinning real fast

#11 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 01:30 PM

usully when i get these old sears in wireing is a mess so i got a rope cup in a drawer from a old model 19 or somehing that i just bolt to flywheel lol gets them spinning real fast

i bet! if they dont start right upcit sure does get tiring!

#12 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 06:43 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#13 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies , I am going to try and answer the questions asked , yes I would like the part number of a Delco 12v starter /generator , and the motor turns clockwise --------------my rake implement is galvanized walk way like used on offshore platforms , it is very heavy ----------------- it starts very easy , 1/2 of a pull is all that is needed , in other word I only wrap the rope 1/2 of the pulley and not all the way around --------------- it has a decal SS15 in the middle of the front grill , so you think the grill was changed , I doubt they changed the foot rest , but now that I think about it they are a different color , the front tire were changed by the guy I got it from who is a friend and he did tell me the tires are ssmaller than what was on it , he couldn't find the same size tires , it is on my list of things to do , up size the front tires , what should be on there ???  the pulley I mentioned needing is the one on front of the starter /generator ----------------- I have look at the regulator again , I think it has 4 wires 

the video helped , I see how you bent the bracket  to accommodate the hump on the 16 block , makes me feel I am heading in the right direction , I took a different approach , I cut away a slot for the hump into the bracket , it took out parts of the welds and I am cutting some plate to weld in and beef it back up , I'l try and take a pic tomorrow

Another thing i need is a left handed clevis for the three point hitch , they welded a shackle to one end , I have seen pics of people  using a Tractor Supply tie rod end looking turn bucket and put a bolt thru it , 

• MH81 said thank you

#14 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:26 PM

The attachments I got with it are an angle blade , a one sided plow , and the other has 4 adjustable spades and 2 disc wheels , I think it is a row maker , as you can tell I am not a framer , I have a Husqvarna 5225 Zero swing for cutting grass , but I do plan on getting the belly mower going so I have a back up ,  and even though the Zero Swing  has a trailer hitch on the back I wanted something to pull a leaf sweeper , a wagon that I have and the driveway rake i just made  , also hope to use it to make a food plot behind the house for next years deer season , missing this one 

the drive way rake works really well ,  use to pull it on chains , it had no control , and had to do circles at the end of the run and it got all cock-eyed , on the 3 point hitch I can stop at the end of the drive , lift it up , turn around and go back the other way , and also pull the rocks to where i need them 

I am working on doing a receiver hitch on the 3 point hitch 

#15 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 09:37 PM

ill get you part number for regulator tomorrow. moms not looking happy and at her pc so i dont want to bother her. i forgot to get belt number while out in shed do that tomorrow. the regulator i used matches the ac delco number for a 71 ss14 also fits cub lo boys and others.