• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 brandsa2001 OFFLINE  

brandsa2001

• Member No: 2838
  • 2 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:58 PM

I have a mf 1655 and I just got it from my grandfather.he said he had to have the starter changed once before . When you try to start it it would start hard but eventualy start after a bit. Now I got to change the starter again and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what that consists of and could tell me what they think I think I might have to take the carb off and clean it or somethiing with the fuell pump is wrong.can a person take it apart to clean or fix. Just thought I would ask thanks.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:16 PM

To get the carb off you would have to remove the intake unless you make a special wrench, or you can just take the top half of the carb off to make sure it isn't all plugged up with dirt. As for the fuel pump they are serviceable but new ones are around $35. For the starter I would check the wire connections and make sure you have a good ground going to the engine as well as a good battery.
  • brandsa2001 said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:19 PM

It could be a number of things causing the hard starting...ignition related, low compression due to ring wear or valve issues, or fuel issues. You will need to check each possible issue, but start with checking the spark, then do a compression check. If compression is less than 90psi, then you need to go deeper to find out why it's low.
You must pretty much pull the engine to replace the starter I'm afraid.

#4 brandsa2001 OFFLINE  

brandsa2001

• 2 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:33 PM

I think that it has to do with something other than the starter. And thet is why the starter went on me .I have an electric fuel pump I don't know if that would work or just get a new one. Can you get nedw ones anywere of just dealer. I'm new with small tractors I am a profesional motorcycle mechanic and work on a farm so I am good with big tractors and restored a massey 65 last winter with my father inlaw. I figure the olan twin can't be to hard to figure out. If I take the top of the carb of cn I check the jets to see if they have gunk in them ro at least spray down with carb cleaner also the gass in it has been there since last summer so I'm sure that don't help. What most co,,only goes on the starters I have a spare that the tab is broke can I just rebuild or should I get new. Sorry for all the questions. Newbie but I think I'm starting a new love for old tractors.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:36 PM

Onanparts.com, Your Onan Parts Solution has a lot of the Onan parts. They have the new mechanical fuel pumps or you can go electric. I think olcowhand had a thread on here somewhere about running an electric fuel pump.

You can probable rebuild the starter but I honestly don't know for sure. Like Daniel said, you might want to start digging a little deeper and check the compression of the motor and go from there.

#6 brandsa2001 OFFLINE  

brandsa2001

• 2 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:45 PM

Yea I'm going to check compression and do a leakdown test but she needs to turn over first. I appreciate all the help and suggestions I think this forum is awesome thanks again.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:50 PM

Yea I'm going to check compression and do a leakdown test but she needs to turn over first. I appreciate all the help and suggestions I think this forum is awesome thanks again.

Will the engine turn over by hand? Might have to take the plugs out. If it isn't turning over by hand sounds like there is some cleaning to be done. The one B48 Onan I have was really tight to turn over at first from sitting, I did manage to get it to turn over by hand. Drained the oil and put new oil in it and turned it over by hand some more and she loosed up pretty good. Ended up running without any smoke. Going to rebuild it anyway since it is a spare.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:53 PM

Do make sure of the ground to engine before pulling to check the starter! A low pressure electric fuel pump works fine on these, without a pressure regulator as long as it's just a 2 to 4psi pump. Check ebay for new & rebuilt starters...not bad prices usually. You may find you can just rebuild it yourself once you get it apart.

#9 brandsa2001 OFFLINE  

brandsa2001

• 2 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Yea the engine turns over I just used it yesterday to plow some dirt on my yard it runs real good. When I try to start it it turns over a couple times than grinds or makes a funny noise will a bad ground make it do that. I know it doesn't have a solinoid just a threaded gear with a spring.

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 09:30 PM

If the check valve in your fuel pump is bad it will allow the gas to drain back to the carb after sitting causing hard starting. I put on a Briggs 808656 for $30 and it works great

#11 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 07:27 AM

When I try to start it it turns over a couple times than grinds or makes a funny noise will a bad ground make it do that. I know it doesn't have a solinoid just a threaded gear with a spring.

Just a thought is the starter tight [mounting bolts] they do make a bit of noise while turning over. The other thing is that the bendix gear or ring gear may have some burrs on them .Another thing to look at is that sometimes the helical shaft and gear on the starter drive get dirty& sticky.From what your saying about the starter it looks like your going to have to pull it off and have a good look at it.Larry

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 08:46 AM

If the starter is very bad, it will be pulling a lot of amps & possibly causing low power to the coil. Might be your only problem. The grinding could also be the permanent magnets in the starter are busted up or came un-glued from the housing. If the magnets aren't glued & moving (or busted), they will not be in their proper place & will cause growling & weak power.

#13 brandsa2001 OFFLINE  

brandsa2001

• 2 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 11:25 AM

I was looking at starters on ebay will one for a b43m work on my 1655

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 11:38 AM

This one should fit. I have used them on BF Onan engines before. Great price too!
JOHN DEERE 318 ONAN B43G STARTER REMOTE SOLENOID TYPE | eBay

#15 brandsa2001 OFFLINE  

brandsa2001

• 2 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 01:39 PM

I found a new starter on eBay for 54 shipped to my door l I also have a purolator pro 42s electronic fuel pump that is rated 1.5-4 psi its new that my grandfather gave me so I think that it'll work perfect it has a built in piece so no more back drain out of the carb.