Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Happy to be here. Old man with another new interest!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • Member No: 78207
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 06:41 AM

Good morning. I'm Don, and live in Bowling Green, KY. My first GT love was Daddy's new Kubota B6000DT in 1976, with a factory tiller and front end loader. Daddy passed away, farm had to be sold, and the little Bota went away. Life took some odd turns, and now 40 years later and forced into retirement I have lots of time but less money with which to entertain myself. I do some custom leather crafting (primarily heavy duty laminated belts) and black powder  revolver holsters, some wood crafting and gardening when I can.

In 2004 I had a little ten acre farm. In need of a small tractor, I was discussing my plight with a doctor friend (I'm a retired ER nurse) who shared that he had in one of his barns an old Kubota L185 tractor with a Woods belly mower. Very interested, I asked his price. He only wanted $750. Well slap me sillier! I came to look it over and the deal was sealed. With only 1100 hours on the clock, it had been serviced regularly by the dealer who would come pick it up and return it after service. It needed a new battery and fresh fuel, and has a dent in the hood where his father had run it smack dab into a tree while mowing (Ouch).

Fast forward to today. My little farm was sold when I was forced to move back to town in 2008. Since then, my Kubota has been on loan to my retired farmer father in law. She's stayed in an open-end barn since then and has been used to mow and bush hog with the attachments I also kept and loaned to him. She's now dirty and oily looking, but has to the best of my understanding been routinely maintained with oil changes and such.

FIL says he's selling out and moving to town come spring of 2016. While I can still do some things, I plan to bring my tractor home to the suburbs (oddly enough, 1/2 mile down the street from where the original buyer, another doctor, bought her new in 1980 to mow his estate, and 1/2 mile the other direction from the doctor who sold her to me, her third owner 11 years ago).

With help here and on a Kubota forum I also joined, I will restore her to her original pride and use her to.....well.... drive around the neighborhood. Goofy I know. But it's my tractor and time, and more fun than a golf cart around the subdivision!

I hope to be able to contribute here some. Thanks. Don.

• NUTNDUN, Gtractor, MH81 and 11 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:11 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Quite the story you have there! Good luck with the tractor.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:17 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. We all would be interested in some photos of your tractor an also of your restoration project. 

#4 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:23 AM

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing about your tractor.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Welcome Don to GTtalk!  :wave:   You're just a skip & hop down I65 (90 miles).  I go to Harbor Freight down your way.

#6 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the fast welcomes. A bad leg cramp woke me at 0400 and I couldn't return to sleep. Searching for information on my tractor, I lucked into this forum. I've already located a possible source for a decal set from my GT reading, and have contacted them (Ebay) to see if it includes safety warning and control decals. I've posted photos of my tractor in the Kubota section. My wife awoke to use the facilities a few minutes ago and I showed her some photos I found here of a restored L185. I told her that I plan to name her.... wait for it....."Orange Crush" in honor of my Southern drink heritage. I'm sure it's been done before.

Thank you again everyone. Oh. My first father in law had a 1972 Bolens Husky he used for years. Always loved that little tractor. I just love vintage and antique baby tractors. Don

Edited by Tallbald, November 30, 2015 - 07:50 AM.

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:09 AM

Don, maybe you could find yourself a turning plow & join us April 2nd for my plow day, or just drive up without a tractor & join us socially.  It's a guaranteed good time, and likely we'll have you on one of our tractors plowing if you don't bring one!

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Oh, and I get those sudden leg cramps too since having DVT's in my right calf a year ago.  Sure will wake one in a hurry!  I know the pain!

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:16 AM

I get rudely awakened with leg cramps once in a while. Not fun at all!

You might want to check out Daniels Plow Day! I had a very good time there!

• Jazz said thank you

#10 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:30 AM

Hello Don, welcome to GTT! Enjoyed your story. Kubby owner and fan myself. Headed over to check out your pics :thumbs:

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Welcome to GTT and congratulations on the retirement. I was forced to retire early and have loved it. After 8 months retired, I awoke one morning to the realization that for the first time in decades, I wasn't in pain.

We have a really nice group of people here that are willing to help. When you have quesions, just ask. Tractor meets of all types are fun and interesting. Try to attend a couple next year. One warning, this hobby is addictive. There are many different tractor brands and models. You are sure to be smitten by some. Don't end up like me with over 80 in the yard(most were freebies).

Find a snowplow for it. My wife was Nursing supervisor at FT Knox when the blizzard hit in '78. You do get snow occassionally. Enjoy our hobby. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 30, 2015 - 08:48 AM.

• HDWildBill and MolonLabe have said thanks

#12 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:51 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#13 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:58 AM

Great story, great place here, Noel

#14 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 09:05 AM

:welcometogttalk:  Don. Checked out the pictures; nice tractor.

#15 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 12:09 PM

And thanks to each and every one of you! As a "positive affirmation" I am going to our Bowling Green NAPA parts store for air, oil and fuel filter. Better priced than the orange dealer and I believe fine quality. I'm also searching for new decals for the hood and safety warnings.The front bumper would be $150 used to replace, so I suspect I'll be trying some heating and hammering. Same is planned for her hood sheet metal, because a qualified body repair person would be beyond my budget. I already know I'll need to replace the left front wheel vertical axle spindle (not sure of the correct term) because of wear turning left (?). I'm hoping I don't find too many more issues, but that's part of the adventure. I'll of course photograph my progress and share.

Thanks again. Don