• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Gregshd OFFLINE  

Gregshd
  • Member No: 41871
  • 44 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 08:33 PM

Scott, it is a one piece assembly. I thing too it was a replacement part.

• sacsr said thank you

#17 Gregshd OFFLINE  

Gregshd
  • 44 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 02:36 PM

Been a while since we worked on the old Bush Hog. I've been busy with work and my son busy with school activities. We got our new needle bearings and have pressed them in the case. Here are a few pics of them going in. The needle bearings are common B-118. I picked them up on Amazon.com. IMG_0472.JPG IMG_0473.JPG IMG_0475.JPG

• olcowhand, LPBolens, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#18 Gregshd OFFLINE  

Gregshd
  • 44 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 08:04 PM

Well we got the transaxle all back together. Pretty straight forward, We then pulled the engine/clutch assambly to inspect the clutch.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0756.JPG
  • IMG_0757.JPG

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#19 Gregshd OFFLINE  

Gregshd
  • 44 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 12:51 PM

We got the engine out and the clutch disassembled. We found these homemade looking spacers between the clutch cover and flywheel. Not sure what they were put there for but it seems that they would reduce the clamping pressure. I don't see anything like this listed in the parts manual. Also the flywheel and pressure plate contact surfaces don't look the best.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0755.JPG
  • IMG_0754.JPG
  • IMG_0753.JPG

• olcowhand, LPBolens and Merle013 have said thanks

#20 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 01:13 PM

Those surfaces don't look too bad to me.  I'd go over them with a high speed "cookie" to remove rust/scale till they brighten up nice.  I'd toss the spacers.

#21 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 03:14 PM

I don't know how quick I'd be to toss the spacers. I'd want to spend a little time trying to figure out why they were there in the first place. It would be a lot of work to put it together only to find the clutch wouldn't release and you needed them. My first thought was maybe a thicker clutch disc had been installed at some point? If you have a press you could assemble the clutch without the spacers and then set the clutch in the press to release it even and see how much travel you need. As thick as they look, I'd think if the spacers weren't needed that the clutch would have slipped like crazy. Do you ever remember a clutch slip comment being made?

• sacsr said thank you

#22 Gregshd OFFLINE  

Gregshd
  • 44 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the input guys.. DougT, there was a slipping issue, that's why taking things apart to find it. I've studied this thing and can't see where these spacers are going to help with anything. I did go ahead and take the flywheel and pressure plate to the local automotive machine shop, they came back looking perfect.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0543.JPG

• olcowhand, LPBolens, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#23 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Did they tell you how much they had to machine off the surfaces?

#24 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • Member No: 74432
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 05:07 PM

Cool tractor. Glad to see you're keeping it in the family. Will be following the restore. Good luck and have fun.

#25 Gregshd OFFLINE  

Gregshd
  • 44 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 09:31 AM

Sorry, it's been a while since we worked on the Bush Hog. Crittersf1, they did not tell me how much material they removed. We did get the thing back together and still has a slippiing issue. Interesting thing too note is that when it is slipping the driveshaft between the engine and the transmission was still turning. Also discovered that if i push on the brake pedal when it is slipping i can kill the engine. This confirms to me the clutch is not the culprit. It has to be somewhere between the brake and the rear wheels. I can look at the ends of the axle shafts and confirm they are not slipping in the hub.Looking at the parts diagram the two keys, S1092, may be sheared on shaft S1062. Anybody seen this happen before? That is the only assembly we didn't break down when it was apart the first time. Looks like tearing the transmission apart again will be our winter project.

• KennyP said thank you

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 09:41 AM

Your gonna be well versed in tearing this apart!