Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone looking for a Bolens Rear Engine Rider?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 05:55 PM

I needed to change the battery in my wife's car on Saturday, and while returning home from the garage, I found along the roadside a used Bolens rear engine rider for sale. Didn't stop to look at it, so I don't have a picture of it nor do I know what the asking price is. I can't imagine the asking price being that much, so if someone is interested in it, I can go back and get it for them. What I do know is, it appeared to be a later one, as it had the newer decal on it, which I think included the green, black, and maybe either silver or white? 

I'm hoping some of you guys will post some pictures of your rear engine riders, and I can try to determine which one this one looks like. Again, I don't think it's an older model, so think newer style when posting pictures. 

• TIPDKapa said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Does it look like this?

They are a decent machine for small yards , we have a bunch of guys that have them around here

Bolens2027004Medium.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, johndeereelfman and chieffan have said thanks

#3 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 06:21 PM

They make cool wheelie machines!
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 06:34 PM

No Brian, I don't think that's it. Maybe I'll just run over there right now and see if I can snap a picture of it. Shouldn't take me more than 20 minutes max. I'll be back. 

• chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 07:08 PM

Yes Brian, I guess that is it. My apologies my Friend!!

IMG_20151129_184825506.jpg IMG_20151129_184839631.jpg

IMG_20151129_184851329.jpg

I think the $300.00 asking price is high, but what do I know, I'm a John Deere guy!

IMG_20151129_184905803.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 07:20 PM

I'd say his price is a bit high but I dont check the going rates of these machines too often as they are not really collectible yet as they are fairly new.

• johndeereelfman and chieffan have said thanks

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 07:29 PM

I'd say his price is a bit high but I dont check the going rates of these machines too often as they are not really collectible yet as they are fairly new.

What kind of time frame do these tractors fall in Brian? Late 1970's? Early 1980's?

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 07:40 PM

This one I believe would have been Late 80's to early 90's

• blackjackjakexxix, johndeereelfman and chieffan have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:07 PM

Definitely not from this part of the US, we have like absolutely no Bolens anything, around here

#10 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 11:23 PM

Check out the ags on the rear
  • Gtractor and chieffan have said thanks

#11 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 12:00 AM

Check out the ags on the rear

At least they aren't on the front. 

:hitting_self_roller:

• dodge trucker and chieffan have said thanks

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,508 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Definitely not from this part of the US, we have like absolutely no Bolens anything, around here

Thanks Dodge Trucker as I know exactly how you fell.  No Bolens stuff in this area either.  Have to drive 150+ miles to get anything and then better jump quick.  Those guys out East don't realize how easy they have it.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 01:39 PM

OK, its rainy out for the 5th straight day, pretty hard right now, and I'm not looking forward to walking to the shop so I'll tell a story about one of those RER Bolens like the one pictured.  If you are real busy - probably best to pass over my ramblings.  I promise nothing earth shattering in this story - but there will be 100% truth as the whole thing evolved.

I came up with one of those just like whats pictured somewhere around the year 2001.  At the time I was working for the city and the bosshole sent me over to a very secluded, two-block long street to cut a ditch with the ditching tractor.  I'd already laid eyes on the Bolens but wasn't really interested because I don't collect RER's

Someone came out of the house to see what all the ruckus was, so I decided to asked about the Bolens.  Seems the owner inherited a bigger mower so in perfect working order this Bolens was set aside to be a backup mower.  They bought the Bolens new from the [short term] dealer right here in town and it was always stored in one of those little metal sheds you buy in kit form and assemble for your back yard.  After it sat unloved in the shed for a significant amount of time they needed the space and pushed it just outside the shed where grass proceeded to grow up around the poor thing for most of that summer. 

I figured it'd have some good parts and the engine was a Briggs so that'd be nice to have.  We walked over to look at it and I was amazed at how nice it was.  Seat was without tears and with a trip to the car wash this mower would look like new. 

The guy would like to have it gone and wondered if I'd give $50.  In rare form for me,  I didn't even haggle.  It was just that nice.  Handed the man a Ulysses S. Grant and told him I'd be rolling in just after 3:30 when I got off work to load it up.

When I got back he'd aired up the low tires and rolled it over to the driveway.  I backed in the drive, dropped the liftgate on my pickup,  pushed it on, hit the lever and was loaded.  As I latched the tailgate the guy finally got his shoes installed and came out of the house.  He said something about how I came prepared and we had a good laugh.  I helped him carry his ramps back out to the shed. He'd drug the ramps out so I could get the mower up into my pickup but of course I didn't need them.  Still, it was a very nice gesture. 

Once home I borrowed a battery out of another mower and with some gas it fired up and ran perfect.  With some spit-shine the Bolens looked GREAT.   Much too nice to part out and way too small for my yard, I wondered what I'd do with it.  Selling is one of my least favorite things in the world.  I'm no salesman.  So there it sat.

A few days later a neighbor comes in to see if I had an 8 horse Briggs for his mother-n-laws mower.  I show him the Bolens and he gets all excited.  Seems his mother-n-laws mowers engine konked out.  He's been mowing her yard until he can find an engine for her mower.  The Bolens is so nice he wants the entire thing. It'd be easier to give her the whole mower than to change the engine.  She needs a small mower with electric start so he doesn't have to load his Crud Cadet every week and take it over to her house to mow.  I believe more than just the work involved, he wanted less quality time with the mother-n-law.  Thats what I picked up from the conversation anyhow. 

This neighbor had just come up with a fairly decent 1450 Crud Cadet that had the 44 inch deck.  His cadet, I can't remember the model number, was a 10 horse job with the 50 inch deck and a little short on power.  His idea was to swap decks putting the 44 incher under his 10 horse that he'd had for years and sell the 1450 with his old 50 inch deck, take the money and buy MIL an engine for her mower.    His plan was a good one and his world was about to improve!  

Guess where this story is going?.....

He offered a straight trade - his 1450 for the Bolens RER. 

Didn't take long to think on that one.

While I had no use for the 1450, my dad was quite fond of the Quiet Line series.  Dad had also recently come up with a Sears 3 point hitch mount, Gannon Earthcavator at an auction. 

Now my gears are really turning. 

He gave less than $20 for the Gannon because it wasn't advertised so I didn't go to that auction.  I figured he'd trade straight up and I'd have the $50 I originally invested in the Bolens - in the Earthcavator. 

No bones - dad wouldn't trade. 

Said he was going to put it on Ebay.  At that time Earthcavators were at a real premium. I offered some cash to boot. 

No go.

I put the 1450 in the shop and went over it.  Tierods were loose so I did the quick fix crimping them to get a few more years of use without expense.  Changed the oil and the next spring I trimmed around the house with the 1450.  Really liked the Cadet but I mow with a tractor and 6 foot finish mower so to me this is just a trim mower.  Really had no use for the 1450 and it's too new for what I collect. 

Saw a classmate at Wally World one day. He asked if I had any good sized riding mowers that I'd sell.  He had a friend that was in the market.  I mentioned the 1450, threw out $500 as a nice round figure, and he said he'd have the guy come look.  That evening they came rolling in the drive.  Fired up the Cadet and let the guy mow for a while.  He parks the thing and holds out 5 Benjamin Franklin's.  Said if I'd deliver he'd just take it.  He lived less than a mile from where I worked and I told him I'd drop it off on my lunch hour the next day. 

Thats my dealings with a Bolens RER like the one pictured.  I came out much better on that than I figured but here 14 years later, I still don't have an Earthcavator.   I had nearly $450 cash in my pocket and the use of two mowers short term while all this went down. 

The Earthcavator is still sitting in the shed out at dads as far as I know.  I hope to purchase it from my step mom at dads estate auction.  :(

Edited by Gtractor, November 30, 2015 - 02:00 PM.

• KennyP, Cvans, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 02:32 PM

Your a good writer and I enjoyed the story. Keep up the good work.  :thumbs:

• Gtractor said thank you