#1 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 03:37 PM

Hi guys, 

so I have my 1254 ready for snow, mostly. I had to start it up yesterday and it started very hard, and I don't want to mess with that when I gotta move snow. I did adjust the carb a bit and that helped, and I have to try it again today so I'll see how much it helped. Is there anything else I can do to make it start easier? Also, I replaced the head gasket recently.

Also, I am thinking about making a weight box for it for snow plowing. How necessary is that? I have the tires loaded, and at least 100-150 lbs of weights on the wheels. I weigh about 180, and it's got chains. Is that enough? 

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 04:03 PM

When you adjusted the carb was it on a cold engine or after the engine warmed up? Adjustments need to be made when the engine is at operating temperature otherwise you'll never get it set right.

I have been plowing with mine since 2010 and have no troubles with chains, stock tires and weights. Anything other than that is overkill in my opinion

• Alc, boyscout862 and gardentractornut have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 04:36 PM

Where is it stored? Garage? Heated garage? Outside?

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 04:45 PM

Re learning the Choke procedure?? I have some tractors that need to be choked, but don't start till the choke is pushed in all the way and then has to clean itself out running a minute. OR, 1/2 choke? More choke if you don't use in warm? Have to experiment to try diff things. Wisconsin? don't they have record of being hard to start?  Thought I heard that.

• Alc, boyscout862 and gardentractornut have said thanks

#5 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 06:36 PM

When you adjusted the carb was it on a cold engine or after the engine warmed up? Adjustments need to be made when the engine is at operating temperature otherwise you'll never get it set right.

I have been plowing with mine since 2010 and have no troubles with chains, stock tires and weights. Anything other than that is overkill in my opinion

The engine was warm. It wanted to die when I pushed the throttle all the way in, so I gave it a little juice on the needle. It seemed to start OK today, my main problem is that my belt is a solid belt. Brian, do you have any starter belts for this?

Good to know on the plowing setup! It sounds like I'll get to test it out tomorrow!

Where is it stored? Garage? Heated garage? Outside?

It's stored in our pole shed, unheated.

Re learning the Choke procedure?? I have some tractors that need to be choked, but don't start till the choke is pushed in all the way and then has to clean itself out running a minute. OR, 1/2 choke? More choke if you don't use in warm? Have to experiment to try diff things. Wisconsin? don't they have record of being hard to start?  Thought I heard that.

This one is pretty straightforward, choke all the way out, even after it starts. Then when it starts to sound rich and choked out push the choke all the way in and it runs perfect.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 06:41 PM

The big jet at the bottom is for adjusting the high speed settings, for idle its the small screw near the butterfly , try adjusting that to get a better idle

I do have the belts instock if needed

• gardentractornut said thank you

#7 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 06:43 PM

The big jet at the bottom is for adjusting the high speed settings, for idle its the small screw near the butterfly , try adjusting that to get a better idle

I do have the belts instock if needed

Is that this one?

https://bolenspartsa...-free-shipping/

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 06:45 PM

You'll need the 1714690

#9 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 06:47 PM

Awesome! Got it in my cart and will order soon! Thanks Brian!