• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 02:22 PM

If you have an unmodified garden tractor, that has been broken and repaired, what do you call it? Stock? Original? Something else? Anything but Sue?? Where is the line drawn?

Paul

Edited by Paulgo, November 29, 2015 - 02:29 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 02:44 PM

I don't know. I would say if fixed as the original was; then stock.

Not to :hijacked:

But, the question I have been pondering... 

What if the factory piece was garbage. Totally junk. Easy to change to proper working and much more versatile/stronger than stock. Should you do it? Even on a 'rare' or semi-rare unmodified unit?

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster and chieffan have said thanks

#3 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 02:54 PM

I don't think I would mess with a rare GT unless what you do can be reversed without repercussion.

• Bolens 1000, grnspot110, johndeereelfman and 4 others have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 02:55 PM

My view point is tractors were made to use, worked and admired by the owner. If you have to rebuild a part that was not adequate to do the job intended from the factory, then by all means do it.  If your doing a true restoration, then by all means it must stay original in all aspects.  This includes the bolts, nuts and washers used to hold it together.  Our run of the mill hardware hasn't changed much in the last 40 or 50 years.

• jd.rasentrac, Chopperhed, zippy1 and 1 other said thanks

#5 warrior120 OFFLINE  

warrior120
  • Member No: 77709
  • 56 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 02:56 PM

I would .... n

#6 warrior120 OFFLINE  

warrior120
  • Member No: 77709
  • 56 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 02:57 PM

Depending on what it was

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,653 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 04:55 PM

I fix/change things on the Speedex's cause they look like they were made in a garage when new. You can weld on things and looks just like what they did as they "Improved" the models thru the  years. Better linkage joints on the steering say, tabs here and there for things, you wouldn't know the difference unless you knew the line real good, ha! 

Another thing to do is take later improvements to bolt onto your tractor that didn't have those at time of build. Wheelhorse is easy one to do that type thing to, and Power Kings too. IF, you don't like the tractor, dump it and get one you DO like then.

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 05:05 PM

I don't know. I would say if fixed as the original was; then stock.

Not to :hijacked:
But, the question I have been pondering... 

What if the factory piece was garbage. Totally junk. Easy to change to proper working and much more versatile/stronger than stock. Should you do it? Even on a 'rare' or semi-rare unmodified unit?

Yes, I do it all the time on Springfields, because those parts are so hard to find. I call most of mine original used condition, owner modified, or workers, or even just reliable is nice to call them lol.
  • Bmerf and Paulgo have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 05:13 PM

I consider the word "Stock" to mean original parts and no modifications along the way, IE Cuts in the hood use of improper parts ect. I still consider the machine stock if it has replacement parts that are either OEM or the exact same as OEM spec, for example could have had a different muffler pipe replaced with an original at some point in its 40 years I would consider it stock.

"All Original" means it has everything that came with it when it left the showroom floor.

Any repairs made your self such as additional metal added , modifications or 'Upgrades' with other model parts then its not stock or original IMO

For example: :D

Stock

DSCN5589.JPG

All parts are to original specs however some have been replaced , with New, NOS or used time period correct parts and may have been painted, a bracket welded ect.

"All Original"

DSCN5481.JPG

All parts are original to the machine, nothing replaced painted or repaired except maybe a belt or two in its life

"Modified" / Repaired / not original

DSCN5522.JPG

Some Parts are from a different model (Fender) , Homemade muffler, Homemade rear hitch, Repairs have been made such as welding broken linkages ect.

"Hack Job"

Any time a part of the tractor that has been chopped, drilled , cut or removed to fit non OEM components to the machine, different levels of these are out there

images.jpe

• Alc, johndeereelfman, Talntedmrgreen and 3 others have said thanks

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 05:20 PM

I don't think I would mess with a rare GT unless what you do can be reversed without repercussion.

I agree!

All the "Flaws" are part of the machines history and show what the engineers had to work with or what materials they had to use at the time.

• Alc, johndeereelfman, Talntedmrgreen and 1 other said thanks

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:39 PM

Bolens has it right.

Stock is all original or OEM parts.
Original, is, as it was built.

Anything else is custom or modified.

Hack jobs are in the eye of the beholder.

However, there are millions of instances out there where a piece of equipment has been modified a bit, either because parts were unavailable, or simply took too long to get. Work has to be done, and repairs are made, whether they are correct or not.
  • Bolens 1000 and Paulgo have said thanks