14 replies to this topic

#1 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 02:18 AM

Do you guys always seem to find really nice tractors you'd like to have or for a really good deal when your not looking for them or when you don't have the extra $ to buy them or the wife says no? Why can't I find them when I'm looking for them.
  • grnspot110, Traill95, dodge trucker and 3 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 07:06 AM

that is the way life works out, I have had good luck with gt's but not so much with hit-miss engines.  I want a good flywheel engine in the worst way and every time I find one I either don't have the $$ or it is just to far away, have patience and things will work out they always do.

Pete

• boyscout862 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#3 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,032 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 07:52 AM

I was told at a young age,that god will only give you what you can handle, And I don't want to be on the heavy side of the balance. So if it is,it is.and if it ain't? its because it was wasn't ment to be.

• Alc, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 08:03 AM

Do you guys always seem to find really nice tractors you'd like to have or for a really good deal when your not looking for them or when you don't have the extra $ to buy them or the wife says no? Why can't I find them when I'm looking for them.

I know exactly what you mean.  Decent tractors at a good price are few and far between in this area.  Ever one that I have bought except one was over 150 mils from home.  A couple were clear across the state and even out of state.  Sometimes you have to drive to get them but that runs the price up too.  Lot of guys don't figure the trip cost in.  Make it look like they got a better deal that way when in actuality  ? ? ?

• Alc, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 09:45 AM

Why you asking your wife in the 1st place?

• Gtractor, TomLGT195, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:17 AM

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission! :thumbs:

• Gtractor, karl and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:44 AM

My wife always just tells me to make more money andthen I can have more toys! Never seems to happen though, I make more cash and somehow she gets more toys, such is life. That's why she's getting a panzer for christmas, she will love that. Permission you say or was it forgiveness? I will just chaulk it up to me being such a thoughtful husband, now she won't have to walk to get the mail!
  • Alc said thank you

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:47 AM

This is even worse than not having the money, there is a nice 1965 Springfield on cl in Lancaster Pa. that I would buy in a second but the owner will not respond ? I texted him when can I come and see the tractor, does it run? his reply where are you from NJ I say, I'm in Denver Pa. he says I know I reply end of correspondence all I get is voice mail leave message nada is the money in NJ different than in Pa. maybe someone else can try let me know how you make out. Hank

• Alc and Oldford have said thanks

#9 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:51 AM

Why you asking your wife in the 1st place?

HAHAHAHA EXACTLY HAHAHAHA

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 11:33 AM

Don't ask wife, but sometimes she goes with to get if a little trip. Just so I don't have to go alone she says!  Yeah, right. She likes the roadtrips too.  Most on epay I don't mention at first, but she sees the emails and such about it or on the homepage and figures it out. She always comes out to drive to see the junk coming in, and jokes around with the delivery person or the wife of, about tractors and not needing them. THEY have their own game I think!

• HANKG and Oldford have said thanks

#11 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 12:38 PM

Don't ask wife, but sometimes she goes with to get if a little trip. Just so I don't have to go alone she says!  Yeah, right. She likes the roadtrips too.  Most on epay I don't mention at first, but she sees the emails and such about it or on the homepage and figures it out. She always comes out to drive to see the junk coming in, and jokes around with the delivery person or the wife of, about tractors and not needing them. THEY have their own game I think!

my wife calls me the junk man because I am always dragging old stuff home she thinks is junk or stopping at peoples houses and asking what they are doing with the old tractors in their back yard
  • Alc, HANKG and Oldford have said thanks

#12 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,032 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 06:30 AM

Females don't even enter the equation when it comes down to me and my machines! they ride on the back!

Edited by karl, November 30, 2015 - 06:31 AM.

#13 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 140 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 08:44 AM

I guess I`m lucky in that my wife loves the machines I bring home, at shows she`s even trying to get me to buy tractors and engines that she likes! As far as the original question, check out the farm, antiques, and estate auctions and sales, i`ve found some great deals at auctions!

• Oldford said thank you

#14 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 01:10 PM

This is even worse than not having the money, there is a nice 1965 Springfield on cl in Lancaster Pa. that I would buy in a second but the owner will not respond ? I texted him when can I come and see the tractor, does it run? his reply where are you from NJ I say, I'm in Denver Pa. he says I know I reply end of correspondence all I get is voice mail leave message nada is the money in NJ different than in Pa. maybe someone else can try let me know how you make out. Hank

I have had some encounters like that, seems like you need to be a mind reader with some sellers.  I think some older guys want you to email a phone number then they will call, but if your number isn't local they won't call.  By local i mean in their town too...

I'd rather ask questions on email before wasting time on the phone with so many out for a quick buck on tractors.  if it's a really good deal i'll open with "when can i check out your tractor" that usually gets their attention. 

Of course you might lose out to the guy who says "I'll give you full cash price NOW" or whatever people say to get "in" first, haven't figured that part out yet, still missing out on the real deals, still i can't lie to somebody i haven't met if the machine is junk in person and i have to walk away, which gets hard if you've hauled a trailer 2 hours to see it, but that's another story, good luck

• HANKG said thank you

#15 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 04:23 PM

I have had some encounters like that, seems like you need to be a mind reader with some sellers.  I think some older guys want you to email a phone number then they will call, but if your number isn't local they won't call.  By local i mean in their town too...

I'd rather ask questions on email before wasting time on the phone with so many out for a quick buck on tractors.  if it's a really good deal i'll open with "when can i check out your tractor" that usually gets their attention. 

Of course you might lose out to the guy who says "I'll give you full cash price NOW" or whatever people say to get "in" first, haven't figured that part out yet, still missing out on the real deals, still i can't lie to somebody i haven't met if the machine is junk in person and i have to walk away, which gets hard if you've hauled a trailer 2 hours to see it, but that's another story, good luck

In the end, after a week and a half I wound up getting it anyway but he took the fun out of shopping lol Hank

• MH81 and Oldford have said thanks