daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Kenny, and everyone else, I'm glad you are doing ok with windows 10.  I like as well.  It's quite a refinement of windows 8 and 8.1.  I have upgraded my two computers, a 7 and 8.1.  

The biggest thing I have found with 8 and 10 that things are now "app" based, like the newer smart phones.  I like that better myself, as I have a fairly new smart phone and things operate pretty much the same way.

One thing I found just a couple of days ago, along with doing away with some of the classic games, 10 also seems to have no DVD player.  The one that started up when I put in a DVD was poor and couldn't play it unless I "upgraded" by purchase.  I went to google and soon found a recommended player that works flawlessly, for free.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#32 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,476 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 05:38 AM

They also did away with whole media program.
  • KennyP said thank you

#33 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 07:48 AM

I believe you can set it up to look like 7, but its native layout reminds me of 8.1 more than anything.
Based upon the new machine the boss just got with native 10
  • KennyP said thank you

#34 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 03:21 PM

I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes but the wife and I don't seem to have any problems with 8.1. At the same time we are just barely computer literate and may not see the difference if it hit us in the face. For the time being I'm sticking with what we have. It's the teaching an old dog new tricks thing I think.  

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#35 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 06:01 PM

I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes but the wife and I don't seem to have any problems with 8.1. At the same time we are just barely computer literate and may not see the difference if it hit us in the face. For the time being I'm sticking with what we have. It's the teaching an old dog new tricks thing I think.  

I jumped from XP to 8.1. Not much of a curve there. With 10, I have not seen much difference from 8.1.

• Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#36 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 07:14 PM

What happened to all the talk that Windows 10 was going to be free the first year and after that there was going to be an annual fee? Also I thought  it was full of hidden software that was going to track your every key stroke. 

• chieffan said thank you

#37 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,476 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 07:59 PM

If you don't want 10, better turn off auto updates, or you're going to wake up one morning with W 10 all installed and ready to go. They've started the campaign already.
  • Cvans, WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 07:43 AM

There are more report back "malware" items than I'm comfy with, but my boss understands as well as I can explain it and is willing to accept the risk... Mainly because he is unwilling or unable to try any options.
There are some programs and one company we work with that are incompatible with Linux or Mac. The one company was even so bold as to say the account could be suspended if non windows/IE machines tried to log in. So in his words, "What choice do I have?"
  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#39 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 11:16 AM

What happened to all the talk that Windows 10 was going to be free the first year and after that there was going to be an annual fee? Also I thought  it was full of hidden software that was going to track your every key stroke. 

The tech sites are full of articles about the malware M$ is putting out with window 10.  Some of it you can go in and disable but a some of it you can't.  Bottom line is that when Window 10 is installed it creates an account on a M$ server in your name, IP address and other info and then starts tracking what you are doing.  From what I have read right now they are only directing ads to the start menu but down the road I would be prepared for all kinds of ad's to start showing up.  Basically they have taken a page from the google play book but gone much deeper then google has ever gone. 

Also the fees are starting with having to buy apps for your music and multi media.

By the way have you ever wondered why Windows 10 and not 9?  Think OS X  MS is not very orginial. 

• MH81, Cvans, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#40 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 10:05 AM

If you don't want 10, better turn off auto updates, or you're going to wake up one morning with W 10 all installed and ready to go. They've started the campaign already.

Just wait, it will be even more aggressive:

http://www.computerw...e-strategy.html

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#41 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 11:15 AM

There is a lot of $$$ to be made by forcing users to upgrade their PC's, even against their will.  If they are successful they will be the biggest personal data warehouse in the world and just think about how much they will make by selling your information.  They will also make $$$ by not having to support older versions of Windows.

• gopher said thank you

#42 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 03:19 PM

There is a lot of $$$ to be made by forcing users to upgrade their PC's, even against their will.  If they are successful they will be the biggest personal data warehouse in the world and just think about how much they will make by selling your information.  They will also make $$$ by not having to support older versions of Windows.

Exactly

As much as it pains me, I think I am going to upgrade dad's laptop to 10, turn off what I can, and walk away from it.

#43 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 03:43 PM

I look to see some type of law suit coming out of all this.  Somebody with some $$$ is going to say no you are not going to push me into Windows 10. 

#44 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 10:05 AM

I took the step and upgraded the HP laptop from church using the download and install option. It went fine but I did go into the advanced upgrade option and turned almost every "phone home" option. Now to slim down the start menu by deleting stuff not needed.

This is a business class 17" machine with Win7 Pro on it - i3 4005u dual core and 4 gb of RAM.

Edited by Trav1s, December 18, 2015 - 01:17 PM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#45 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 02:24 PM

Well, the verdict is in..  I tried updating the wife's laptop to 10 but ever since it's been freezing and crashing all the time..  Last week I punted and reloaded 8.1 from the D:\ drive and only isntalled the first ~200 updates and shut automatic updating off.  The machine works fine without a whisper of Win 10 and the annoying notifications.  

All the B$ that Windows is causing is starting a trend.  Folks are bailing from the Windows platform altogether.  I joined the club yesterday and bought a Chromebook.  Seems lots of other folks are too.  

As far as the Win 10 updating BS my file tree in my desktop just up and changed itself and moved things around without my knowledge or permission.  Onedrive appeared on my machine and reorganized things all on it's own.   My Microsoft Office software seems to have disappeared into thin air..  I'll snoop around and see where the hell it went to next weekend as this is my 1st day in.  I tried to open a .PPT file and it just started the task and nothing happened.  I open Task Manager adn see the file in the queue but nuthin happening..  I shut it down meanwhile.  Chrome can open the Office documents once it arrives.  

Screw Microsoft!!

• MH81 and chieffan have said thanks