• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 08:36 PM

There was a lot of slop between the wheel spindles and steering tabs on my 1631.  Today I looked into it.

It turns out the "tapered pins" that hold them together were roll pins and they were broken.  The pictures is of the better pin, the other was sheared into three pieces and must have been barely hanging together.

A 5/16" bolt gives a good fit through the hole.  On the front side the tab is welded on right at the hole and I needed to re-drill the holes so the bolt would pass clear through.  I ground half the head off two bolts so they would pass in from the front along the tabs.  Then put nuts on the rear with some red loc-tite to make sure they stay put.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20151127_1544483531.jpg
  • IMG_20151127_1545380301.jpg
  • IMG_20151127_1546208581.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Only thing is you have very little bearing surface with the threads of the bolt where the two pieces join.  Have to be sure that don't happen or you only have half the bearing surface at the shear point and bolts are softer than roll pins.  Other than that it looks like a good repair.

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 08:30 AM

Only thing is you have very little bearing surface with the threads of the bolt where the two pieces join.  Have to be sure that don't happen or you only have half the bearing surface at the shear point and bolts are softer than roll pins.  Other than that it looks like a good repair.

Good catch and I should have pointed this out - the bolts aren't fully threaded.  There are only a few threads below the nut, otherwise it's a rod.

In addition to your points I'd worry that a fully threaded grade 5 bolt would gnaw away at the hole through that mild steel spindle.

Edited by MiCarl, November 28, 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 08:35 AM

I have been known to buy a longer bolt with the non-threaded portion close to what's needed and cut the excess thread off.

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 05:35 PM

I have been known to buy a longer bolt with the non-threaded portion close to what's needed and cut the excess thread off.

It's only about 1/2" so I left the excess.

Probably cut them off after I rip my shin open on one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speedex, steering