7 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 08:24 AM

What engines will work in a 1476 to replace the S14D Wisconsin?  Would like to stay in 14+ hp range.  Would prefer a B&S but don't think the twins will fit in that frame.  It won't get much hard use so even a foreign made clone would be OK.  Have no experience with the Large Frames and figured several of you guys have done this in the past.  Thanks for you advise.  Have a happy and safe holiday season.

• Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 08:39 AM

You may want to have a look at mytractorforum, there are a few guys there running their LF with transplants. One guy was fitting a b&s just a little while ago on his ht20.
I have heard of people using the harbor freight china clones, but that may have been on tubeframes. depends how cheap you're willing to go.
  • Traill95 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Those harbor freight Honda clones run we'll. I know a guy who uses one and it has been going for years .
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 12:37 PM

I have a 14 hp vanguard in one of my 1256's, I'm sure it will fit in a LF. I have a stub shaft for that engine that bolts to the flywheel so it can be turned around like the s14D.

tn_gallery_2359_8_244939.jpg

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 01:08 PM

You may want to have a look at mytractorforum, there are a few guys there running their LF with transplants. One guy was fitting a b&s just a little while ago on his ht20.
I have heard of people using the harbor freight china clones, but that may have been on tubeframes. depends how cheap you're willing to go.

I have tried that site and find it real hard to navigate around in.  Have no idea where I am or where I want to go.  Tried it again and found nothing regarding a re-motor in the Bolens LF tractors.  Finally did manage to get a post up about no spark, for what it is worth.  Appreciate the suggestion but guess I am not smart enough for that site.

Been thinking about a HF engine.  Can also get an Onan 16hp for $300 that I can hear run.  Think I will jerk the dead one out and try a B&S 6 hp to check out the hydro first.  It may be shot too the way my luck has been running on that thing.

One problem with a HF engine is they don;'t have charging capabilities that I can find.  That is all extra items that runs the price up.

Edited by chieffan, November 26, 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#6 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 01:44 PM

http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=878649
  • chieffan said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 02:30 PM

Thanks.  Interesting reading.  HT20 he was doing is a lot different than my 1476.  Not sure I want to get into all the problems he ran into as I don't have a machine shop to do all the remaking in.

Did a re-boot on the computer.  Went to find my post on MTF an could not find it anywhere.  Tired search and everything.  That has to be the most difficult site to try and move around in I have ever seen.  Guess I won't know if I got any replies or not.  Should have known better.

Edited by chieffan, November 26, 2015 - 06:50 PM.

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 03:12 PM

Found more info on the HF engines.  All electric start model have a 0.9A charging coil, they say enough to keep a full battery charged.  Parts have to come from their warehouse in CA and they have limited supply on hand, like most HF stuff.