Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 01:30 PM

the cheap John deer tractors at Lowe's are made by mtd I believe

They are built by JD, as explained in Post #34.

#47 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 04:49 PM

Breathe, its OK he doesn't mean to say they are not good tractors I don't believe. Years ago a friend said that his squeeze cheese was real, I had to explain to him that the label was the company name and that it was processed, he said yeah processed real cheese. This same guy believes those late night commercials that say you can take a junk yard car and use product z and it will look like showroom quality. I thought it was just him but nowadays it seems that more and more people have drank the cool aid and believe that no one would dare lie in their marketing material!
  • Alc, dodge trucker, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#48 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 06:10 PM

With all the guys on here and the public, how come nobody says they have seen or live by or whatever a JD factory?  The WI one, was in LAGT mag last year, so know it is there, how come no one knows of the other? Deere must have people that get on forums would think? Nobody in TN has driven by the place??  Not sure why it has to be proven it exists, should just be able to SEE it!

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#49 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Cause those folks speak a different language! They are hiding it from you, I thought you knew.
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#50 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 02:19 AM

The Tennessee plant where they make the D series (Lowes, Home Depot, ect) lawn tractors is not Union. JD is too greedy to pay MTD or AYP to make their junk low end tractors so they built the plant in Tennessee to avoid the Union and get cheap crappy labor.

• WHdbJD, dodge trucker and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#51 kloudbuster1 OFFLINE  

kloudbuster1
  • Member No: 78257
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 04:17 PM

If you think unions are the answer to quality I disagree. I work for a place with 3000 plus members and the union is so corrupt and backwards it makes me sick. The union protects the lazy slugs and there drinking buddies.
  • toomanytoys84 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#52 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 05:49 PM

I have been on both sides. Union backing is better than the boss coming back from a 3 martini lunch wanting to fire everybody because the sales guy (his brother in law) cant do his friggin job.

• javjacob said thank you

#53 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 01:32 PM

I have been on both sides also. Last job was without any Union, senority didnt matter, new guys would get hired making more money than multi year good workers doing the same job. 20 year employees getting "laid off" while they keep new hires. Promotions were given to friends and not the best worker or most qualified, they would change the rules constantly and set people up they didnt like to get fired and there was nothing they could do about it. If the chosen ones put out bad quality they did nothing and the good workers moral gets low... why try so hard when it gets you nowhere. I had all of this happen to me and even got promoted to a higher position but the manager who didn't like me made up a BS title for me so he didn't have to give me a raise... He titled my job as my last position/ my new position. This was a small company that profited multi millions per year.  

There are ups and downs to the Union and some are better or worse than others. I like what Unions guarantee is a set of rules that cant change (until the contract is up anyway) and they inforce that the company holds up its end of the deal. Senority matters and jobs are given to the most qualified workers or is bid to the highest senority workers.

The Unions are the representatives of the workers, they work out a rule book with the company and make an agreement. Then the Union makes sure the company holds up its end of the deal. 

Good Unions make a fair agreement between both sides. Bad Unions want too much and refuse to back down and cause strikes and can even put companies out of business which also puts the workers they are trying to help out of work. A good Union works for the best interest of the employees and the company.  

• Alc said thank you

#54 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:30 PM

Not getting into the union non union discussion that goes no where quick.

I didn't read all the posts, just skimmed but look at how nothing has grease fittings. Nothing is made to be serviced by the end user. It breaks you take it back to the dealer to replace parts that could of easily been made to last longer by putting grease to it.

I know people who buy new craftsman tractors, cub, ect. Then complain when they suffer a major failure within 3 years.

I will say my friend bought a new box store hydro Deere and that thing has been dead reliable. Never had an issue. He had an mtd cub that last 2 summers before the deck fell apart. The metal around the spindle tore off the deck. Then he took the deck off to use it as a trailer puller and the Chinese Kohler electrical failed. No spark. He junked it.

Someone on here scanned an owners manual for a box store tractor that said useable life was like 266 hours

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 20, 2015 - 01:43 PM.

• limebuzz, tater195 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#55 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 04:41 AM

dang... 266 hours is not that many hours. I have noticed you dont see too many box store mowers with 500 hours or more very often though so that's probably about right. I know they are designed to only be ran a maximum of 50 hours per year. I think you can get more hours out of them by leaving the key on when its not running though lol. My brother did that once accidently and noticed it 3 days later after it racked up over 70 hours. :rolling: 

• Alc said thank you