• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 02:38 PM

Wouldnt surprise me if it was John Deere. The pre 2000 era John Deeres are some of the best ever made but it seems after Y2K they really started cheaping them out.

• farmer john, dodge trucker, michael.kitko and 2 others have said thanks

#32 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 837 Thanks
  • 480 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 04:00 PM

Almost every piece of homeowner equipment is made by MTD or American Yard Products.

It doesn't matter if it says Deere, Cub Cadet, Craftsman etc.

• farmer john, michael.kitko, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#33 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 08:03 PM

John Deere actually makes all of their own tractors. They have a plant where all the X series tractors are made... (Horicon Wisconsin) and a seperate plant where the D series (Lowes, Home Depot, ect) are made... (Tennessee). Neither MTD or AYP make anything for John Deere. The D series (Lowes, Home Depot, ect) tractors are just as cheaply made as MTD though.  

Edited by javjacob, November 29, 2015 - 08:22 PM.

• farmer john, michael.kitko, holdenboy1960 and 3 others have said thanks

#34 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 09:56 PM

We won't insult the Deere guys ya know how touchy they can be. All the modern equipment no matter where or who built it is cheaply made! And just because it was assembled in the states unlike cars not even a small portion has to be actually made here for it to carry that so sought after made in the USA label. That sticker was not even made here most likely and who can blame them, with even the most basic worker acting like he somehow he is entitled to a hundred thousand dollar a year wage and full benefits with as little work as possible! Our dream of quality went the way of the dinosaur, we call WWII era people the greatest generation for a reason, this generation of younglings think it is rebellious to strive to be the laziest most worthless workers imaginable. And again who can blame them we give them gold stars for just showing up, and god forbid we criticize them we may be arrested for abuse. Sorry for the rant I have just been worrying about my niece, she has fallen out of the stupid tree and hit every branch, but won't be hitting the ground cause someone will bail her out again!
  • Alc, Bruce Dorsi, EricR and 5 others have said thanks

#35 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 09:57 PM

Most of the professional landscapers around here use Grasshopper diesels. Are those throw aways, too?

no but how many homeowners do you see with that sort of machine?  Box stores are offering more ZTRs which they market as "just like" a grasshopper which we all know they ain't/

• farmer john said thank you

#36 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:04 PM

We won't insult the Deere guys ya know how touchy they can be. All the modern equipment no matter where or who built it is cheaply made! And just because it was assembled in the states unlike cars not even a small portion has to be actually made here for it to carry that so sought after made in the USA label. That sticker was not even made here most likely and who can blame them, with even the most basic worker acting like he somehow he is entitled to a hundred thousand dollar a year wage and full benefits with as little work as possible! Our dream of quality went the way of the dinosaur, we call WWII era people the greatest generation for a reason, this generation of younglings think it is rebellious to strive to be the laziest most worthless workers imaginable. And again who can blame them we give them gold stars for just showing up, and god forbid we criticize them we may be arrested for abuse. Sorry for the rant I have just been worrying about my niece, she has fallen out of the stupid tree and hit every branch, but won't be hitting the ground cause someone will bail her out again!

What you say in this post is pretty much how I feel.... and the "politically correct" out there call me grumpy or grouchy, and then  think that I am the one with the "problem"? I sure think NOT. The 100K/year comment sounds like my boss, who is ~10 years younger than me, (and thinks that age difference is "why" we have issue with each other) ----DON'T get me started on that.... I'll just say that he is the reason that I am transferring to a different location at my job.... to get away from that line of thinking... gotta stop there or I run the risk of taking this thread way  away from its current direction...

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, farmer john and 2 others have said thanks

#37 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 10:06 PM

I agree with jdcrawler, but were not talking the same animal, a 1970 grounds keeper was made to outlive you, your kids and their kids, these new commercial units are only built comparable to a good homeowners unit back in the 70s . . .

My question hinges on this statement made by farmer john. The assumption is that the new commercial units are no better than the homeowner units of 45 years ago. I thought Grasshoppers were better than that, but I could be wrong.

#38 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 11:18 PM

Commercial units are great but the type of materials available years ago that would send a tractors price into the stratosphere today just won't be seen anymore. No matter how hard one tries to replicate the past he will none the less be making inferior products, one should try to do the best with what he has and only hope the outcome is comparable. Trucker you and I may have to have some long conversations over the broken soul of our economy! I agree with you, it isn't your age its his inability to replicate your work, this makes him want to go home and reatatch himself to his, I digress.

#39 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 12:57 AM

I'm not a Deere guy just clearing something up... I'm not brand loyal at all even though I do own a JD. The older machines were built to last unlike anything made today though. I also agree liberal/progressive thinking is taking this world down a dark path. These ideas might sound good but nothing in this life is free... somebody is paying for it in one way or another. Some people do get everything and don't work for any of it but its still not free, they pay for it by the kind of person they become. You pay for everything sooner or later whether you realize it or not. Not to get into politics though.

In the racing world we have a saying. You can have... fast, reliable, and cheap... but you can only pick 2!

Nothing is free.

• Alc, Bud W, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#40 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 837 Thanks
  • 480 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:34 AM

John Deere actually makes all of their own tractors. They have a plant where all the X series tractors are made... (Horicon Wisconsin) and a seperate plant where the D series (Lowes, Home Depot, ect) are made... (Tennessee). Neither MTD or AYP make anything for John Deere. The D series (Lowes, Home Depot, ect) tractors are just as cheaply made as MTD though.  

I stand corrected on the Deere.

#41 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:25 AM

you guys want to hear something really annoying, I like many of you buy north American when possible (I'm Canadian) anyways here I go buy Wagner brake parts, on the box made in America, and stamped into the casting China, where exactly is China in the states? I do know of Cuba ny!  anyhow they were a piece of crap poor quality, and I have switched to the ray asbestos brand, I didn't pay a premium for a made in amercia box. gone are the days of quality, and they just pass off their junk to us

Edited by farmer john, November 30, 2015 - 08:37 AM.

• Alc, dodge trucker and Eric have said thanks

#42 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 10:06 AM

At a recent swap meet, I saw some tools packaged with the familiar "waving USA flag" emblem.

I picked up the package expecting to see "Made in USA," but instead, the fine print said "Distributed in the USA."

I'm disgusted by this deliberate attempt to mislead the buyer, but it seems to be more prevalent every day.

• Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#43 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 11:50 AM

New plugs?? What the heck can they do to a plug? S'plain one to me or link to what they are?  First I've heard of these.

they are plated like auto plugs are so they don't foul as easy when they start to foul, you engine makes more hydro carbon. The global warming hoax
  • Bolens 1000, dodge trucker and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#44 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 11:51 AM

I stand corrected on the Deere.

the cheap John deer tractors at Lowe's are made by mtd I believe
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#45 Tecumseh power ONLINE