• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 291 Thanks
  • 290 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 08:05 PM

This was out of the ordinary as most took better care, but I remember seeing a commercial unit with almost 400 hours on it and the filter was still labeled "0 hours" from when we sold the unit new. Usually the largest operators would try to replace the units when they were going out of warranty, not specifically because there was a problem.

Edited by ACmowerguy, November 26, 2015 - 08:06 PM.

• Alc and farmer john have said thanks

#17 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 09:53 PM

There are plenty of people that would pay to have a better quality unit, if you think that manufacturers use plastic due to the EPA then you should look into the processes used when making the toxic goo! The EPA is a politically driven entity and is less concerned with the actual environment than with appeasing the political forces that drive their existence. I was once fined seventy five thousand dollars for using a zamboni to clean a hanger full of pingeon droppings and dumping said water and droppings in a wash rack repository. They claimed that arsenic is in the droppings and by collecting them and dumping them was detrimental to the environment. Let us see, they poop in the oceans en masse so I still don't grasp the concept. My next move was to shoot the birds to maintain the clean hanger, the animal rights nuts took pics from half mile away and in comes the powers that be to fine me one hundred twenty five thousand for animal rights infringement! Anyways I digress!
  • Gtractor, Bruce Dorsi, farmer john and 4 others have said thanks

#18 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 10:09 PM

Yikes Eric  You didn't personally have to shell all of that out did you?   Whether you did or not, where did all of that money go????

and we wonder why they are so "broke"  money wise..... Smarts wise it's easy to see why they are broken....

• farmer john said thank you

#19 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 935 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 10:10 PM

Wally World has driven alot of that. If you want to sell something in their store, they tell you what you will sell it for. It doesnt make a difference if it is a box of tooth picks or a riding lawn mower. If you cant make it for that price, they tell you to cut quality... but not in the packaging. All of the big box stores have followed suit. Most manufacturers have a separate model numbers for the low end retail products 

• farmer john, dodge trucker, michael.kitko and 1 other said thanks

#20 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 08:39 AM

I think i'll stick to my next to nothing $$$$ machines & kerbside units , most of mine are pretty loyal at best

, but in saying that all machines need maintenance no matter  

Shane

• farmer john and dodge trucker have said thanks

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:11 AM

, but in saying that all machines need maintenance no matter  

Shane

but, it makes no sense that machines are made so maintenance can't even be done any more.... I'd rather have carbs that are adjustable, grease fittings, non sealed transmissions, etc.  though I know that when machines had that stuff, many people didn't take advantage anyway.  It goes back to, how many of todays machines will even be around in 30-40 years? It will all be in a landfill, which is far from environmentally friendly.  The longer things last, and stay out of the landfill, that would seem a whole lot better for the environment, right?

• farmer john, michael.kitko, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#22 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:12 AM

not to mention, eventually we will run out of raw materials so then we can manufacture... nothing.

• farmer john and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#23 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:19 AM

hearing what you are saying there , it has become a disposable world now , it all comes back to government revenue taxes & such ,

just my thoughts is all 

• farmer john, dodge trucker and michael.kitko have said thanks

#24 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 04:08 PM

Luckily the Navy was more than willing to shell out the cash for the fines. It was the most expensive week of my career, but paled in comparison to my fathers doing. He was also a sailor and when he was a cheif long ago in mayport he was ordered to take a barge of waste from a carrier out to sea. Long story short, the wind shifted and a barge full of oil and sludge made its way back to shore! In those days this was standard procedure for the military and he was just following orders, this made headlines and started the governments campaign of cleanup of the bases around the world. I suppose I should have learned a lesson from my father and realized that some orders must be disregarded, but being the proud man I was, yes sir was my way of serving my country! Just a cautionary tale, big brother has powerful eyes and they dislike people that dirty the pond.
  • Gtractor, farmer john, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 04:46 PM

Most of the professional landscapers around here use Grasshopper diesels. Are those throw aways, too?

• farmer john and dodge trucker have said thanks

#26 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 05:01 PM

Why make a plastic piece of junk carb. that wont last a year?

Ill tell you why.

So you have to go to wally world to buy another piece of junk That probably doubled in cost but the quality lowered :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

Its all about $$$ now. Sickening.

• farmer john, dodge trucker and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#27 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I agree with jdcrawler, but were not talking the same animal, a 1970 grounds keeper was made to outlive you, your kids and their kids, these new commercial units are only built comparable to a good homeowners unit back in the 70s, a friend of mines kid works for one of the big makers and his job is to reverse engineer it and actually design in flaws or issues, god forbid they actually make a machine that will last anymore, for years I had actually thought they couldn't be that stupid, but it turns out they are stupid like a fox

I have had good luck with commercial equipment, that being said I would never buy off of a landscaper or any non shop owned equipment. What I mean to say is golf courses and the like have on staff maintenance guys and a shop for repairs and scheduled maintenance, I learned that there is no substitute for scheduled and preventative maintenance while in the service. Recently I was talking to an engineer who said his company spends more money researching how to get fewer hours out of their equipment than on marketing, he was told that there is no better marketing ploy than a broken piece of gear. I guess when you own all the competitors you have a good idea that even if they don't buy the same brand the money still ends up in theIr coffer. I won't name the company but I have not met anyone who doesn't own their products!

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Eric could you possibly name the company that does this or if not could you PM me the name? I am curious to know and don't want to ever give any of my money to them.

• farmer john said thank you

#28 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 07:58 PM

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Eric could you possibly name the company that does this or if not could you PM me the name? I am curious to know and don't want to ever give any of my money to them.

(Chant) Name them, name them, name them. That is ridiculous.

• farmer john and Eric have said thanks

#29 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 08:16 PM

(Chant) Name them, name them, name them. That is ridiculous.

Is it a company that started life as a tool & die maker?

• farmer john and Eric have said thanks

#30 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Definitely is not the same company it once was. I have family that pulls checks from them so naming is not an option!
  • farmer john, holdenboy1960 and Manfjourde have said thanks