• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 12:03 AM

a friend of mine bought a used commercial mower, less than 1 year old and wants me to fix it, he paid way to much but all he could tell me was " its only a year old, I tried to tell him the average guy cuts his lawn once a week for about 6 months, equals 24 uses, even a small commercial guy does 25 lawns a day equaling 5 years of use every week or 120 years of use per season, sure they pay $1000 for these machines use them for 6 months then dump them for $500, cosmetically they are beautiful but worn out, I agree commercial machines are generally better built but don't buy one off a landscaper, I know a few who upgrade their machines every year or two simply so they don't have issues 

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 01:50 AM

When we lived up in Michigan, I mowed about 2-1/2 acres and I bought a mid 70's Toro Groundskeeper with a 88 inch mower deck.

I used it for 10 years and really liked it but I agree with you that a commercial mower is not for some one that can't repair their own machines.

Parts for this type of equipment are also more expensive than your average lawn mower.

Luckily, I have the shop equipment and tools for  making repairs and can do my own work.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,032 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 04:37 AM

The area I live in is service economy, Your either a house cleaner or a land scaper, I have see a lot of machines for sale out here all the time.you either make it or you don't.Its cut throat. It all depends on how you can "under cut".but with a commercial machine,its all about maintenance.and few do.And you are spot on. don't buy a used machine off a land scaper,unless you can and also expect to work on it.

• boyscout862, farmer john, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 06:35 AM

I have bought commercial machines from the local golf course. Well built machines and relatively low hours.

• boyscout862, farmer john and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 07:44 AM

When those commercial guys get rid of a machine there is a reason, and not just because they want a new machine either.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, farmer john and 2 others have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 08:14 AM

Had this same conversation with a fellow a couple of days ago.

He was looking at a Zero turn traded in and was only a year old. Probably had a million hours on it!!

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 08:28 AM

I agree with jdcrawler, but were not talking the same animal, a 1970 grounds keeper was made to outlive you, your kids and their kids, these new commercial units are only built comparable to a good homeowners unit back in the 70s, a friend of mines kid works for one of the big makers and his job is to reverse engineer it and actually design in flaws or issues, god forbid they actually make a machine that will last anymore, for years I had actually thought they couldn't be that stupid, but it turns out they are stupid like a fox
  • MH81, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 08:58 AM

When we lived up in Michigan, I mowed about 2-1/2 acres and I bought a mid 70's Toro Groundskeeper with a 88 inch mower deck.

I used it for 10 years and really liked it but I agree with you that a commercial mower is not for some one that can't repair their own machines.

Parts for this type of equipment are also more expensive than your average lawn mower.

Luckily, I have the shop equipment and tools for  making repairs and can do my own work.

Yes I have a Ford CM224 mower and the 8" splined shaft  rim is rusted on the shaft.I tried for hours to remove it to put on a new tire and thought that I would just cut it off and buy a new rim but for just over $400 for a new rim I decided to change the tire on the tractor.

• farmer john and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#9 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 09:24 AM

I have had good luck with commercial equipment, that being said I would never buy off of a landscaper or any non shop owned equipment. What I mean to say is golf courses and the like have on staff maintenance guys and a shop for repairs and scheduled maintenance, I learned that there is no substitute for scheduled and preventative maintenance while in the service. Recently I was talking to an engineer who said his company spends more money researching how to get fewer hours out of their equipment than on marketing, he was told that there is no better marketing ploy than a broken piece of gear. I guess when you own all the competitors you have a good idea that even if they don't buy the same brand the money still ends up in theIr coffer. I won't name the company but I have not met anyone who doesn't own their products!
  • shorty and farmer john have said thanks

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 09:57 AM

what!?!  Designing IN, flaws or issues?  Research how to get fewer hours out of something, that is absolutely ludicrous.

That is exactly opposite what you would expect them to do,  they sure market them to have the opposite effect.

I can see designing to a price and designing for it to be easier/faster on the assembly line first and serviceability second or 3rd/ but to actually design them to fail? Makes no sense. 

Outsourcing to China and buyers doing no maintenance on them cuts life expectancy of equipment drastically by itself without that kind of sabotage also being built in. And then they price that one little part needed to fix a unit so high that it becomes not worth fixing.

NOT the kinds of companies that I want to deal with....

i'll stay with used equipment thanks,  costs less to begin with,  and the stuff I buy is old enough to have been built to last instead of built to break.  I can justify working on a '76 Cub 1250  easier than I can justify having to work on a 1 year old anything.....

• farmer john, holdenboy1960 and Paulgo have said thanks

#11 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 10:10 AM

I hole heartedly agree, it is also much more enjoyable to work on older equipment. At least with our old gear you know what you have and can trust that it was designed with the Intention of working for a living! I am pretty sure the stuff built today is just supposed to look good and run at the first sign of anything resembling work! They would like us to believe that plastic is just as strong as steel. Next thing you know you will buy a download and 3 d print your tractor, because that a great idea!
  • farmer john, dodge trucker and Paulgo have said thanks

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 10:40 AM

Manufactures dont design stuff to fail they are simply catering to the new market where buyers expect to pay next to nothing for a machine. Manufactures make what they can sell and in todays society its main consumer demand is as cheap as possible.

Back then guys would spend a couple grand on a mower and now it seems as if you are pulling teeth for most to buy a new POS $600 LT at lowes.

I think people also forget The EPA also puts alot of strain on the Garden tractor market , look at the new $6 spark plugs we are now forced to buy in these EPA regulated engines, its gotten so bad the EPA is now regulating the sparkplugs for our engines to "save the planet"

I used to think it was the manufactures like so many on here but now that I'm behind the scenes in the Lawn and Garden industry I have come to see the EPA and consumer demand is what drives manufactures to create a specific product today

My .02

• Alc and farmer john have said thanks

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 11:10 AM

New plugs?? What the heck can they do to a plug? S'plain one to me or link to what they are?  First I've heard of these.

• farmer john and dodge trucker have said thanks

#14 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 11:30 AM

New plugs?? What the heck can they do to a plug? S'plain one to me or link to what they are?  First I've heard of these.

I dont know what they do to them, but they are called EMS (Emission control systems) plugs or something like that, I havent seen any in person but the Champion QC12YC I think is one of those , just another one of those idiotic things to help stop the climate from turning into a big ball of fire as al gore says....... :wallbanging:

#15 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 12:43 PM

The EPA forced Briggs & Stratton to do away with the "L" head engines because they were too inefficient. That's why they started with the OHV engines.