• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 05:14 PM

My boss was a bondsman for an excavator who won a job to build 3, 24 unit low-income apartment buildings. The excavator, Billy, had supposedly run out of money for the job. Mark, my boss went out there and brought me, some could go and protect his bond. Billy and his crew stayed out there, but we were pretty much in charge. Anyway, Billy was not that great of a guy, but he had offered me this welder; even though we didn't get along

It is a Hobart Champion D; the welder has a little European 2 cylinder Lister-Peter diesel. I went with a buddy of mine to look at it, and he was hesitant about it. It had sat a few years without regular use so he didn't think it would start, and wouldn't be worth it. I had to remind him... It's FREE! I looked at it, and started flip a couple switches and it turned over. Of course I wanted to see if it would start, so I tried again and it started right up! The belt was squeaky, but otherwise it all seemed ok.

A couple days later I brought it home, and billy also gave me a little suitcase mig that I can run off of it. I have used them both, and they work pretty well!! The suitcase only had an adjustment for the wire speed, the current is adjusted on the generator with the amperage adjustment. That set-up was a little strand at first, but once I used it a little and became familiar with it I find it easier to fine tune.

I need to replace the fuel lines, they are a little cracked and I don't want a piece to go through an injector. The belt I put some electric grease on it and stopped the squeal; however, I want to replace it. I also want to paint the covers and clean it up a little. One thing that I really need to take care of is the actual rope for the engine speed. I have been using it with a pair of vice-grips on a cable, but this is not the easiest way. I looked but I can only find the Hobart manuals, which don't cover the engine. If anybody else has the same machine, could you get a part number off the solenoid? Not having the auto idle I am sure burns a good amount of fuel I don't need to be burning.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures. All in all, it welds really well, very smooth. Once I get the actuator I think it will be a very handy machine to have.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,653 Thanks
  • 39,023 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 05:20 PM

Sounds like a great deal to me, Ryan! There's a few folks around that know the L-P engines, maybe they can help there!

• boyscout862 and michael.kitko have said thanks

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,323 Thanks
  • 4,918 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 05:51 PM

Lister-Petter diesels are good engines. They take no shortcuts when building their engines and are known for long service lives. 

You got a heck of a deal. Take care of it and it will last you for many years.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,222 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Sounds too good to be true.....I hope the real owner of the equipment doesn't come looking for you.

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,232 Thanks
  • 7,465 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 07:33 PM

I knew a guy who bought a diesel welder on a trailer at a police auction for cheap. He ended up with a new carreer. He was repairing tooling for the local drop forge company.

#6 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

• Member No: 28357
  • 460 Thanks
  • 439 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 07:12 PM

I am a tad jealous...lol

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 10:36 PM

Nice score, A good mobile welder is a really handy thing to have. No matter where you go, people need things welded up. They are also handy as an impromptu genset when required.

Last summer my, FIL gave me his old (Canadian built) 1955 Lincoln SA200 pipeliner, mounted in an old chev truck box trailer. I haven't even had a chance to bring it home yet. I did take a look and it has a flathead gas 4 banger if I remember correctly. It was the 1202nd one built in Canada. I was told it runs, but it wouldn't weld. Probably needs brushes.