Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

We finally made the move to southern Indiana.

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#16 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 11:21 PM

nice job, I hope you set it up for your gts from the start. what I don't understand is why down in the states they seem to have a number of homes on ground or with crawl spaces? why not go down a few more blocks and have a full basement? crawl spaces are unheard of up here in Canada

• jdcrawler and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 04:54 AM

Glad to have you as a "Hoosier"!

Madison is a beautiful town and area. We ride our motorcycles into that area every couple of years.

Edited by KC9KAS, November 25, 2015 - 04:54 AM.

• jdcrawler said thank you

#18 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 07:33 AM

Ray, how long did it take for you to get the windows? Meaning, how many guys checked your truck out and how long did you have to answer questions about it?

Congrats on getting the ball rolling!

Is the R/T going to get some grading chores assigned to it?

I've learned to never be in a hurry whenever I drive the truck anywhere because there's  always someone asking questions and wanting to look it over.

That is a big part of why I drive a truck like this in the first place.

The R/T is definitely going to get some work with the back blade and rock rake.

I may even bring out the Ridemaster with the grader blade and get it dirty. 

Have you moved all your tools and equipment down from Michigan yet?

Yes.  

My son has a 48x96 garage and my stuff is filling up the back half of it.

what I don't understand is why down in the states they seem to have a number of homes on ground or with crawl spaces? why not go down a few more blocks and have a full basement? crawl spaces are unheard of up here in Canada

The cost of concrete here is  $100 per yard.   It's all clay ground around here and the materials for making concrete have to be shipped in.

Our estimate for a basement was $32,000 to $38,000.

• olcowhand, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 08:18 AM

Ray, glad you got moved and are now proceeding with your new home. You definitely are making headway.

I am only 1 1/2 hrs or so from Madison, beautiful down there. We did some off roading, I am surprised how many "roads" there are down there that are still gravel or dirt and many have to cross creeks to get back and forth. The town is also very beautiful with the older homes.

I am surprised that they do not have materials for concrete, it is right on the Ohio river.

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 08:22 AM

You're just up the road a piece from Daniel. Maybe you can come down for the plowday next spring!

#21 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 08:33 AM

About 1,200 sq. foot.

Thank you but we already planned for that.

You will notice the foundation does not have any vents in it.

We are putting  2" foam board insulation on the inside of the block walls.

Because this is being built on ground that slopes to the back of the property.   There is more height room in the crawl space than there would be on an average crawl space.

Enough so that we can put both the furnace and the hot water heater down there.

The access to the crawl space is going to be thru the side of the garage under the mud room.

Great.  Your thinking ahead of me.

#22 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 08:38 AM

I've learned to never be in a hurry whenever I drive the truck anywhere because there's  always someone asking questions and wanting to look it over.

That is a big part of why I drive a truck like this in the first place.

The R/T is definitely going to get some work with the back blade and rock rake.

I may even bring out the Ridemaster with the grader blade and get it dirty. 

Yes.  

My son has a 48x96 garage and my stuff is filling up the back half of it.

The cost of concrete here is  $100 per yard.   It's all clay ground around here and the materials for making concrete have to be shipped in.

Our estimate for a basement was $32,000 to $38,000.

That is about what it is hear in SW Iowa and have the rock within a mile of the plant.  That cost is right in line with what it cost me for a 24 X 52 block basement with floor.  Personally, I wish I would have put the basement under to start with but was running out of time to give possession of the other house.

#23 Bolens QT-17 OFFLINE  

Bolens QT-17
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77823
  • 119 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 10:59 AM

Looks like you did a ton of work! good job!

#24 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 11:30 AM

[quote name="jdcrawler" post="627593" timestamp="1448454811
Our estimate for a basement was $32,000 to $38,000.[/quote]

Lots of progress.

FWIW, the price of concrete was 95$/ m3 when we built our home 12 years ago. We had to pump the ICF basement walls too. The floor was run in through assorted windows. Basements nearly double the livable space for little incremental cost. The other benefit is removing the laundry and utilities off the main floor. IIRC, the total cost for +/- 3800 soft living space including new septic system was 225,000 $ ready to move in. We put in a lot of sweat equity in the basement concrete work, electrical, and flooring.

When we built our home. We ran all the ductwork, as much of the electrical as practical, and a lot of the plumbing in the basement ceiling. I'd far rather work on a step ladder than roll around on the ground in a crawl space. My 0.02$, YMMV.

#25 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Originally we were going to put in a basement  but the laundry would still have been on the main floor because Marie has bad knees and doesn't handle stairs well.

3 or 4 steps at a time work okay but she has trouble doing more than that all together.

Our decision not to put in the basement was based on the extra cost and Maries condition.

Right now we have no mortgage, no loans and no credit card and we are trying to build this house without getting a mortgage so that is why I will be taking over once it is framed in.

Edited by jdcrawler, November 25, 2015 - 06:36 PM.

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#26 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 02:38 AM

I hear you loud and clear on the mobility issues. I have had knee and ankle issues off and on for decades (clumsy so n so). My MIL is also restricted to a walker or at a minimum, a cane to get around.

That is why we built a ranch style house. Aside from long term storage and laundry, once you get up to the main floor level to the front step or decks rom the yard outside, there are no steps or thresholds more than 2" high on the wrap around deck or on the main floor of the house. There is also no reason to leave the main floor of the house as all necessities are on one floor. There is also provision for an over/under laundry set on the main floor in a space now in use as a linen closet.

SWMBO also has been afflicted with carpal tunnel syndrome, so has trouble with the usual round door knobs. All door handles in our place are either egg shaped or lever style.

#27 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 06:59 PM

The lever style door handles are a good idea that I hadn't thought about.

You don't think about little things like that when you're in your 30's and building a house but I just turned 69 and that is something to consider.

#28 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 08:00 PM

Can't wait to see more pics of your home building project an throughout the completion stages

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 09:07 PM

I should let my wife read through you guys comments. My wife I always in the kick that she wants a 2 story house. Our current house is first floor master bedroom and everything else is on the first floor. Only thing upstairs is 2 bedrooms for the kids.

I tell her over and over again a 2 story house is bad when you get older.

We want to get into another house but I am not going deeper in debt. I need to price doing something your way.

#30 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 08:23 AM

I should let my wife read through you guys comments. My wife I always in the kick that she wants a 2 story house. Our current house is first floor master bedroom and everything else is on the first floor. Only thing upstairs is 2 bedrooms for the kids.

I tell her over and over again a 2 story house is bad when you get older.

We want to get into another house but I am not going deeper in debt. I need to price doing something your way.

My home is 2 story, and at just 57yrs old, I already avoid going up the stairs due to my knees hurting.